997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Video Cam Mounts ... what do you use???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 AM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Video Cam Mounts ... what do you use???

New Sony Video Cam, a suction mount and a good run Saturday. No problems with the mount holding when placed on various parts of the car. The results at lunch were fantastic to view off the laptop.
On the way home, we had a 'spirited sprint' with an M3 into the triple digits ... around 140 the mount bracket seems to have bent over and let go of the suction cup
Nothing left to recover, and not even the flash card
I feel ripped off!!! But, I'm going to do this again and am sure a few of you all have experience in this department! So ... what exterior mounts have proved themselves against wind resistance?
Thanks,

Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
ACRJUD is infamous around these parts
I have a stickypod but I havent used it yet. I have been had to lock all 4 suction cup at the same time. I guess due to the curves of my car. They are really had to take off as well. kinda scared to put it on the viper paint.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Thanks ACRJUD,
I like Sticky-Pod setup, but didn't want to use a plate and three or four suction cups. I'm with you regarding applying friction cups to my paint. All suction cups will leave slight marring, but they're a lot less with a vacuum pump. The Sticky Pod set up seems like it takes up a lot of space, and leaves me with limited placement on the exterior and their interior mounts.
I'm still searching for other options.
Regards,

Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 PM
ACRJUD is infamous around these parts
the other one I was looking at was called the gripper something. It had 1 6 inch suction cup, it looks higher quaility than the stickypod.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM
keang24 is infamous around these parts
Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I like this site, and the Gripper 115 for inside window mount. For the external shots, I'm leaning to the 3025 6" Suction Cup, as it seems to be built well enough to not pull apart at high wind speeds. Before I mount a camera to it, I'll mount something expendable and take the sled into the triple digits and see how it holds up!

Thanks KEANG24

Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 AM
stormeister is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keang24
I used to read a lot about automotive photography and filmtools is usually the place the pros go for their gear. This gear is more than capable of putting a Canon 1Ds SLR + lens (much heavier than a normal camcorder) on a car. That said, most of their cool pictures are taken with the car being pushed, or driven very slowly. Not at 65mph (give or take 100 ) Many pros will also tether the camera to the car (a strap which goes in the window) - this is not always practical though.

These photogs are shooting cameras costing many many thousands of dollars and they don't want the camera smashed, or the flash card damaged (assuming they've already got some marketable pictures which may be worth more than the camera)... and they are usually not shooting their own cars, so the camera bouncing off the paintwork when hanging on the tether is not a concern.

I guess it all comes down to whether you would rather bounce a camera of the paintwork or lose the camera. My guess is the cost of the camera is less than a ding removal & respray.

... or just get a bullet camera such as those at: https://www.actionvideocams.com/

Stormeister

Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
We use a 6" Woods Powrgrip. Has been used to in excess of 170mph outside the car without issues, like in the video below (near end of video):

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/videos/video_vio.cfm

Of course, the surface has to be clean and non-porous. Best bet is to set it and watch it for a few minutes to make sure the suction indicator is not moving before doing a run.

Sorry to read about your camera loss...

Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
^^ I love mine!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
PM sent

Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks everyone.
I like the Bullet Cam idea, but after seeing the video difference between those and a Hi-Def Cam, I'm sold on the HD.
At the same time, there's not a cop in the world who's going to see or stop you for having a bullet cam.
Decisions - Decisions!
I've ordered one mount already and holding off on the inside mount for now. Amex is going to cover the loss of the camera with their first month coverage program (I think, they said yes initially, then asked for more info which I sent in ... we'll see what they say).
Again, thanks everyone!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
For anyone following this thread for their personal use ...
Looks like there's a new vacuum mount out only a couple weeks, called a "Fat Gecko" that will beat them all. It's got super soft mounts (little to no marring on finish) and it's been tested at deep triple digit speeds. Just looking at it you know they've thought it through and designed a great system. I wish I knew about this before I ordered the new one!

Check it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWTDMQWWys