997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

I Got A Ride w/ a Pro Driver: OH MY GOD!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:33 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by twturbo
After yesterdays experience with PDE i am convinced i need some training ,& going to look into an actual course somewhere,any suggestions in CA anyone.
All the schools (2 day High Performance Driving Schools) pretty much cost the same (+/- $3000 plus $200 for a reduced insurance deductible), so it boils down to which is easiest to get to, the track, and the kind of cars they use.

I've attended the BMW M School in South Carolina, the Porsche Sports Driving School in Alabama,the Skip Barber school in California, and local club schools here in Washington. Each teaches mostly the same stuff, skid pad work, braking exercises, autocross handling and track time.

Since you want a California school I'd recommend the Skip Barber school at Laguna Seca near Monterey.

Another alternative, but perhaps not quite as comprehensive, is a school put on by your local Porsche or BMW car club. You use your own car, which makes it a lot less expensive.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:36 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by twturbo
After yesterdays experience with PDE i am convinced i need some training ,& going to look into an actual course somewhere,any suggestions in CA anyone.
The Porsche Sports Driving School in Birmingham, AL will be introducing the 997 Turbo to their program in June.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
minitauro is infamous around these parts
I know how that goes - did my first auto-x this weekend. Did a ridealong with one of the senior club members in her completely modded out STI - it was the most violent, amazing ride i've ever experienced, and was over in what seemed nanoseconds. Definitely makes you reassess your driving skills....

Old 04-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
This is a great thread. I've experienced a similar level of fear when an instructor took me around Laguna Seca in a Viper. It was the first turn that I remember the most. The 'feet-through-the-floorboard' effect was quite prominent. OTOH, since I had raced karts when I was younger, I was able to relax once I recalibrated to the lateral traction and forward acceleration of the car. However I still puckered up on the braking segment. Like others said, that is the most unusual part - something we would never do on the street and thus the most unfamiliar.
But I also think that these observations are why the PDK (and F1, etc.) are so valuable to average drivers. Enabling increased smoothness that amateur heel/toe just can't do, and creating a machine-like consistency that can only be achieved with endless laps allow the driver to focus and take closer to the limit the remaining actions he/she does control - the line, braking, acceleration - without the destabilizing impact of sloppy and inconsistent braking and gear changing that most must endure.
The first time I test drove a 430 with the F1, not only was I enamored with the car, but the 'AHA!' light came on in my head of how much more focused and capable I could be on the rest of the exercise.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Just do PSDS, you will not regret doing so.
It is the best.
watch ME

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.