997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sampled an interesting ECU flash alternative today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Sampled an interesting ECU flash alternative today

I saw this at the Speed Festival last weekend but didn't really take it seriously as it looked tgtbt for $799.00 then this week while my car was at a local Porsche tuner shop having some interior goodies installed they told me i could sample this new plug and play tuner called Split Second Turbo Tuner ,the same one i saw at the show,there product is popular with the Bimmer crowd.So i tried it ,it takes about 30 secs to install it plugs in above the y-pipe somewhere & is undetectable after removal so they say.I took 2 runs without it 1st then 2 more with it,i can tell you i would have a hard time telling you the difference between 25hp, 50hp & 100hp gains but my butt dyno noticed a big increase in power,what i noticed right away was the noise i heard i'am guessing it was the turbos spooling .The traffic never allowed me to get out of second gear ,there were no cell lights before or after it was removed,the owner a giac dealer who drives these cars every day also drove it & was also impressed.I didn't purchase it as i'am already committed to a custom ECU flash and an IPD y-pipe ,pleneum & enlarged throttle body coming off a customers 08 turbo at another shop on monday at or i would have to consider this one.They claim 40 hp & 50 ft-lbs of torque .bimmerperformacestore
http://store.bimmerperformancestore....e-996-997.aspx

Last edited by twturbo; 04-11-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by twturbo
I didn't purchase it as i'am already committed to a Promotive custom ECU flash being transfered to my car and IPD y-pipe ,pleneum & enlarged throttle body coming off a customers 08 turbo at another shop on monday at a very reasonable price or i would have to consider this one.
Transfering a custom ecu tune from another car to yours??... How?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:40 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Interesting... Not sure how this is possible without simply flashing the second ECU with the same program because of the imobilizer codes (which wouldn't be a transfer, just a standard flash) But if they have a way to actually transfer it without having to pay for a complete new reflash I'd love to know how. What was the 'transfer fee' vs. the cost of a regular flash if you don't mind me asking?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have seen a BMW 335 with one of these "juice box" . He's posts on 6speed too in the BMW section but I don;t read the section much . It is quite impressive and it's plug in type device . There quite a few youtube clips of these cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdLWcLzKJiA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTcME...eature=related

I also notice a BMW rivary of the plug in vs software as to performance, relaibility, expense... etc .

Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
those are in-line signal massagers - typically you plug it into the MAF cable. It just fools the computer into running more boost than before by telling it there is less boost than there really is.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:05 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by eclou
those are in-line signal massagers - typically you plug it into the MAF cable. It just fools the computer into running more boost than before by telling it there is less boost than there really is.
I wonder how safe that could be?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
split second has been around for a while, at least in the 1.8T Audi world.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
So are there "real" gains or just the stock HP/TQ sooner????

Old 04-11-2009, 07:02 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Not sure how it works just that it seemed to work,i figured someone hear would know if it was safe or not.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
It's trickery. It changes the MAF signalling and temp readings so boost bar is raised and held longer; more air more fuel more boost=more power.
However, because of the false readings the ECM (engine computer) and all of its sensor functions become unreliable.

I too had one of these doodads for a 1.8T and used it for short term races. Eventually, I required a new MAF sensor and decided an ECU flash would be better.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Ive had one of these on my 2008 tt for 7 months and love it. I got it for $599. Big increase in power. Just took my car in for service at Porsche (with the split second removed). They did not say a thing. Takes less than 5 minutes to install or remove. I figure if I blow an engine, Ill just take it off and PCNA will never know.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC
Ive had one of these on my 2008 tt for 7 months and love it. I got it for $599. Big increase in power. Just took my car in for service at Porsche (with the split second removed). They did not say a thing. Takes less than 5 minutes to install or remove. I figure if I blow an engine, Ill just take it off and PCNA will never know.
Don't think you have to worry about blowing your engine but if it did happen, I wouldn't be so quick to say PCNA will never know..

Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I doubt this device is doing half as much as a good ecu tune is and I'd wager a bet its no where near as seamlessly integrated vs. a GIAC and EVOMSit flashes.

On saying that if your happy with it thats all that counts.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Serpentene
It's trickery. It changes the MAF signalling and temp readings so boost bar is raised and held longer; more air more fuel more boost=more power.
However, because of the false readings the ECM (engine computer) and all of its sensor functions become unreliable.

I too had one of these doodads for a 1.8T and used it for short term races. Eventually, I required a new MAF sensor and decided an ECU flash would be better.
Was the MAF sensor going bad, cause by this device?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:24 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by meaker
Don't think you have to worry about blowing your engine but if it did happen, I wouldn't be so quick to say PCNA will never know..
Why trick your car into making more power and cause problems that can't be monitored and adjusted by the ECU? Is the risk of damaging your car worth the wait and repair of a $47,000 engine?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sampled an interesting ECU flash alternative today