997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
Windshield Replacement

Picked up a big old rock last week on my windshield ('08 997TT). Luckily it didn't hit the body work, but very aggravating nonetheless. Said a few bad words when it happened. I did a repair, but I'm planning on replacing the windshield sometime soon. May wait for a few more dings first though. Talked to the local Porsche dealer and they outsource the work to Safelite. However, I would like to order an OEM windshield and have Safelite install. A few questions:

Anybody got any experience with Safelite, including installation of their glass vs OEM? Any advantage in going OEM vs. Safelite generic?
What antennas are in the TT windshield? I assume radio and GPS. Any issues with resetting audio system or GPS after installation?
Any other particular issues to ask Safelite about or monitor during/after the installation, based on your experience?

I talked to Safelite and they are happy to order the glass from Porsche. I checked retail price on the windshield - about $600. Does Safelite markup the glass any further? They wouldn't give me a straight answer on that. What is reasonable labor charge for installation?

Thanks for any assistance folks. Already ran a search of the forums, but didn't find much.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:06 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I had mine replaced a month ago. I ordered the OEM windshield. Retail was about $600.00. Negotiate a bit with your dealer on that. Installation is always outsourced. Dealers normally don't do window installations. I paid $120 for installation. These windsheilds are relatively cheap in my opinion, considering Lexus windshields can cost over $1000.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:07 PM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Cool ?

I went with oem also 625.00 installed

I took a picture of the truck hauling the crap and called the chp first for a report and then called my insurance while I was driving, after two months I was refunded my 250.00 deductable

Gee-Bee

Want something fast ?

Throw your leg over a Desmocedici

191 hp / 365 lbs
V-4 16 valve 998 cc

Attached Images  

Last edited by GEE-BEE; 04-16-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 PM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
I had to replace a windshield on my 996 TT a few years ago (2 inch spider from a rock). The guy came out to the house. When he was putting the windshield in, he hit the wiper post and cracked it in half. Since he did not have another windshield with him, he had to reinstall the old windshield with the spider. We he called his boss, I could hear him yelling over the phone!!!!

They got it right a few days later, and never had any more problems.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I just had mine replaced for the third time on Monday.

Always at the dealership, after my first incident I got full class coverage and look at it as a minor inconvenience.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
I had mine replaced about 6 months ago. The installer used a OEM windshield..

Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 AM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Max Energy is infamous around these parts
John,
I had an OEM replaced at Brian Harris and the pricing was inline what everyone has indicated.
Max

Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks Max.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
DaveMo is infamous around these partsDaveMo is infamous around these parts
Have it done at your home. It's best to let the car sit for a day or two after the install to let the glue dry well. Less chance of cowl shake.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, that was my plan. The local Safelite shop finally gave me a quote but a couple of hundred above what seems to be the norm, so I still need to challenge them on that. Good to have data for comparison.