997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

wind buffeting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Exclamation wind buffeting

hi 6speeders
i just recently upgraded suspension on my tt with H&R springs and sways. the sways are set soft-front/neutral-rear. i recently went on a rode trip through the hills of WV & VA; it happened to be a windy day; wind gustof 25mph. i noticed with speeds reaching 85-105mph that the steering felt "light" and that the car started to sway sideways? i felt like i was going to lose "control" of the car @ any second! i especially felt it over a long span bridge! i am not sure if the wind played a role in this or that i should have the suspension evaluated? i thought by upgrading suspension that the car would handle with confidence @ higher speeds. very confused; PLEASE POST REPLYS/THOUGHTS. thanx

Last edited by 997tt RS 2.7; 04-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
part of that upgraded suspension should have been a corner balance and then alignment...sounds like you may have some toe issues

Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by VSE
part of that upgraded suspension should have been a corner balance and then alignment...sounds like you may have some toe issues
hi thanx for the reply, dealer invoice stated that they did do balance and
alignment on all 4 wheels. should i have them revaluate their work. sorry; what do you mean by toe issues (i'm a newb)

Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
toe is the amount of wheel angle inward or outward (toe in/toe out) and with these cars has a significant effect on directional stability..it would be nice if they had given you the alignment specs so we would know where you are starting from...if the car feels darty or unstable even at sub 3 digit speeds then it is likely a toe issue...all of them get light in front at high speed but not as badly as you described...do you still have the front splitter or have you lost it after being lowered?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
You should have left the place with your alignment specs in hand, not only to verify their work but for future adjustments if necessary.

But this could be from many factors, on a bridge could be much more wind and road surface issues. All I know my setup and alignment from GMG feels rock solid at any speed / conditions (although mild) Ive come against in 12 months.

How did it handle in the twisties? If it was great then maybe the wind was much stronger than estimated?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
toe is the amount of wheel angle inward or outward (toe in/toe out) and with these cars has a significant effect on directional stability..it would be nice if they had given you the alignment specs so we would know where you are starting from...if the car feels darty or unstable even at sub 3 digit speeds then it is likely a toe issue...all of them get light in front at high speed but not as badly as you described...do you still have the front splitter or have you lost it after being lowered?
still have OEM front splitter though scratched up from "bottoming". should
i take it back to dealer or go elsewhere who knows what they are doing?
thanx for the reply

Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney
You should have left the place with your alignment specs in hand, not only to verify their work but for future adjustments if necessary.

But this could be from many factors, on a bridge could be much more wind and road surface issues. All I know my setup and alignment from GMG feels rock solid at any speed / conditions (although mild) Ive come against in 12 months.

How did it handle in the twisties? If it was great then maybe the wind was much stronger than estimated?
turn in not as expected "quick" and still felt "lite". i think stock felt more
stable and the same "lite steering" as stock. any suggestions? thanx

Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator
it's hard to say...your dealer could have completed a proper alignment but the fact they didn't give you the specs concerns me...contact either PCA or POC in your area and find a good local tech that can check the alignment specs...to get a little more basic...what wheels and tires are on the car..the tires can make a huge difference in feel and handling...I don't understand your feeling of light steering either...these cars give great feedback...I'm getting suspicious of the tires you have on the car

Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
My car has Michelin PS2s, a proper alignment and a corner balance and I noticed it being buffeted by the wind recently. I don't think it is unusual. If this is your first Porsche, you may not be used to the steering feel.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
it's hard to say...your dealer could have completed a proper alignment but the fact they didn't give you the specs concerns me...contact either PCA or POC in your area and find a good local tech that can check the alignment specs...to get a little more basic...what wheels and tires are on the car..the tires can make a huge difference in feel and handling...I don't understand your feeling of light steering either...these cars give great feedback...I'm getting suspicious of the tires you have on the car
wheels/tires stock (bridgestone potenzas). i get very little feedback from
the steering; feels overboosted esp. @ higher speeds. i have an 08 boxster SE and that car does give great feedback @ anyspeed (stock).
you would think a $160K tt would steer better. i'm very puzzled; i
thought the upgrade would have improved stock version and it cost me
$2400 to do so!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
My car has Michelin PS2s, a proper alignment and a corner balance and I noticed it being buffeted by the wind recently. I don't think it is unusual. If this is your first Porsche, you may not be used to the steering feel.
yes it is my first tt; but i have a boxster SE (orange/stock) that steers alot better and i have confidence with it @ higher speeds. i was only going about 85-90mph with the tt and i felt like i was going to lose control @ any second (not confidence inspiring!) i'm afraid to track it now!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
You just have to get used to the difference. 997TT is a rear engine car, Boxster is mid-engine. The turbo feels light but I guarantee you that it is as safe on the track as the driver.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
The two cars are very different. 911 TT is very capable but not as easy as the mid engine and needs extra attention, especially as the speed goes up.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Just happen to think about combo. Springs and sways which will take some of the over-steer out along with lack of shock control and possible lack of experience with this type of car could spell trouble.

I would suggest going to coil-overs and start with more of a stiff front and soft rear on the sways and then adjust accordingly as you get the feel of it closer to the limit on a track.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sloopy
Just happen to think about combo. Springs and sways which will take some of the over-steer out along with lack of shock control and possible lack of experience with this type of car could spell trouble.

I would suggest going to coil-overs and start with more of a stiff front and soft rear on the sways and then adjust accordingly as you get the feel of it closer to the limit on a track.
i was going about 95-100mph on a long span bridge over the hills of West
Virginia with a 25mph headwind; then all of a sudden the car started to
sway side to side as tried to control the steering! VERY FRIGHTFUL
elevated heartrate; it's good thing i'm in good health

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wind buffeting