997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Plug the tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Go to a decent tire dealer and have him evaluate (and probably patch, NOT plug). My Firestone dealer fixed mine perfectly for $25; more important, they had a thick book with car make and tire brands that told them what defects/damages could be repaired and which could not.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Replace the tire. If you have substantial treadwear, replace both tires. It is just not worth saving a few bucks and taking the risk of a major tire failure, especially at high speeds.
Agree . Tires and big bucks are part of the toy .
Plug or patch still delivers a weak spot in the tire and nothing competes with two new tires .

Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 AM
JBKSeattle is infamous around these parts
I agree. 145 mph and sudden pressure loss isn't a driving skill anyone would like to practice.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
+1. Unless you can't handle the cost, I'd strongly recommend a replacement. Truth is, for normal driving modes, patches and plugs usually work quite well. But the risk coefficients are much much different than a new tire. You're playing the odds here, and your health and safety are 'on the table'.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Agree . Tires and big bucks are part of the toy .
Plug or patch still delivers a weak spot in the tire and nothing competes with two new tires .

Old 04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting variance in opinion. I decided on replacing the tire with the tack, as well as replacing the other rear tire for good measure (so that treadwear is consistent).

I see others would be willing to patch the tire -- I'm assuming if they really only drive the car at the speed limit and don't track the car.

I 100% agree that new tires are the way to go. Even a very small chance of an accident would have dire consequences.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Wise move.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
travelersf is infamous around these parts
My tire guys would not do it for me, my 993 got a nail in it. Brand new tires!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Plug from inside if done properly and if within permissable area of repair works 100%. I've had it done once and I've ran car to max velocity numerous a time. I've also tracked the car at the end of tyre life with plenty of runoff areas just to be sure... Tyre never failed.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
400 miles and my tire got a nail it it, plugged it.. No problems at all. My advice is as long as you have sensors on it will give u a warning and the air will slowly deflate unless you run over a valve or so. Your new tire will suffer the same fate if it step over a nail. The plugged tire is fine, I've done it, as long as it is a small hole. I've done it many times and run it very fast with no problems. But it is is a big hole or bigger or longer than a thumb, replace it...

Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
terminology is important here:

1: plugging is done from the outside of the tire and plugs can get spit out and fail
2: patching is done from the inside of the tire and a patch is glued /vulcanized into place and don't fail unless placed near the tread/sidewall corner
3. there is also a thumbtack looking plug/patch combo that is probably the most reliable repair

I have patched tires on almost all my cars. On my truck I plug them myself with the std kits from Autozone. On my 997tt I have run to 300kph on a patched tire. I had no problems but would replace the tire if I were planning to do so again.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by eclou
terminology is important here:

1: plugging is done from the outside of the tire and plugs can get spit out and fail
2: patching is done from the inside of the tire and a patch is glued /vulcanized into place and don't fail unless placed near the tread/sidewall corner
3. there is also a thumbtack looking plug/patch combo that is probably the most reliable repair

I have patched tires on almost all my cars. On my truck I plug them myself with the std kits from Autozone. On my 997tt I have run to 300kph on a patched tire. I had no problems but would replace the tire if I were planning to do so again.
Well said terminology is important here. The plugging should be done from the inside with a plug/patch combo. It is suitable and applicable for nail/screws small sized holes at a minimum distance of 1 inch from the tyre edge where the curvature of tyre ends. Once this patch is melted with the tyre’s rubber nothing will take it out. It will outlast the life of your tyre. Also the patch is always pushed outwards by pressurised tyre so it is staying put no matter what.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 AM
khaosai is infamous around these parts
Hi,

i picked up a nail a few months back here in Dubai. Took it to the local tire garage where the guy stuck the plug in from the outside !.

He then proceeded to tell me it was ok until tread worn, and ok for high speed !.

Based on this display and advice i drove to the dealership and fitted two new rears immediately.

I think the tire repair needs to be seen as a temporary thing until you have an opportunity for replacement.

As mentioned above, it needs to be plugged from the inside then a patch fitted on top of the plug.

With the capabilities of this car you need everthing on your side, for me tires being a major factor.

Rgds.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bbywu
Agree with above.

Plug is fine if you aren't going to track.
+2..I've patched many a tire in my lifetime with NO problems. That said, I would only patch it if your car is relegated to daily driver duty with no tracking or triple digit speeds. Peace of mind is replace the pair if tread life is below 50%. Just my .02

Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
wallmon is infamous around these parts
The question you have to ask yourself is how lucky do you feel.

Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 AM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand why we buy nice expensive toys then wine about cost of ownership.
buy two new tires and move on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plug the tire?