997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cold Start ISSUE Please HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Tiger is infamous around these parts
Cold Start ISSUE Please HELP

Hey there guys, I came across this issue with my car and was wondering if anyone may help me. when the car is left for a day and i attempt to start it (Cold start) the car starts shaking and the RPM goes a bit low , and it feels like the engine is going to shut off. once the engine heats up abit the RPM stays stable and all is fine. I never experienced this before, can only 1 help me on this issue. car is 100% stock and, got it brand new and has 2500km on it thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
07turbo is infamous around these parts
Never had that issue on my car. My car sits for days on end (especially over the weekend) and starts up fine on Monday when i drive to work.

Ocassionally, my car will rev up upon start up but a few others on this board says there turbo does the same so i guess that's normal.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 AM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
sorry i can't help but i'm actually glad to hear that my TT isn't the only one that revs up upon start up.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Problem Solved thanks guys. I took the car for a long drive. Drove it normally. came back home, left it for a day, so the engine cools down completely. started the car 2day. (Cold start). Engine was perfectly normal. The RPM was stable throughout, not cutting or shaking. It was strong and stable I guess it was just one of those days. Thanks alot you guys for your input and support, best.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
RT-TURBO is infamous around these parts
Talking

The reving @ startup isn't just a Turbo "feature"' it happened on my C4S also.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
high revs on start up?

Never experienced this on either my 07C4S, 07TT, or my presetn 08TT...can it therefore be considered normal, and if so, why would it be evident on some cars and not on others. In my way of thinking, this is the last thing your engine wants (hi revs) on a cold start up. JMHO

Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
It was a concen to me also but my dealer claimed it had something to do with the firing order when startup was initialized? Hasn't happened to either of my 2009's yet. The 2006 occured about 25 to 30% of the time.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by RT-TURBO
It was a concen to me also but my dealer claimed it had something to do with the firing order when startup was initialized? Hasn't happened to either of my 2009's yet. The 2006 occured about 25 to 30% of the time.
What if it was the firing order? anyway of solving the issue if it came up?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
My dealer claims it's just something that happens. Personally I'm glad to have traded up to a 2009 TT and not be wondering if some type of damage or problem was building. I'm with you on mid to high RPM's not being good for an engine to dry start on. Ask your dealer and don't be adverse to asking more than one if you don't get a satisfactory answer. Cheers

Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I had 3 bad spark plugs on my car with in the first three months, if its a recurring thing and the RPMs drop so low that the car may stall you might have them check that out.

Other than that, I think its pretty normal for the RPMs to be slightly higher when you first start the car and then settle to the normal idle after a few minutes.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The high revs at startup are common , but that does not make it normal.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
IXIXVII is infamous around these parts
My car did this and I taught I had hit the gas by accident? It had happened again last week and really freaked me out! My left foot on the clutch and my right on the brake...WTF? Thanks to this forum I don't feel like I'm going crazy. Are their more threads on high reving start ups? It was more like High reving than just a fast idle. What do you think makes this happen??

Old 05-02-2009, 06:51 AM
TD997TT is infamous around these parts
I believe the high rev at start up is normal, but if you just let it idle for a minute, it should settle to normal by itself. You might try a different brand of gas to see if that makes a difference. I remain convinced it is best to drive these cars on a longer trip that allows for full use of the throttle at least once a week and not let the gas sit in the tank.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:26 AM
IXIXVII is infamous around these parts
Nope, only the the best for my baby. I never use a discount gas station and 93 octane or better.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Originally Posted by 07turbo
Never had that issue on my car. My car sits for days on end (especially over the weekend) and starts up fine on Monday when i drive to work.

Ocassionally, my car will rev up upon start up but a few others on this board says there turbo does the same so i guess that's normal.
Mine does the same thing (revs up)- like every other day or so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold Start ISSUE Please HELP