997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Question for EVOMSit Experts Re. Spare ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Question for EVOMSit Experts Re. Spare ECU

The popularity and consistently good reviews of EVOMSit are making my trigger finger itchy. Anyway, I saw the following at evoms.com web site: A spare ECU.

1. I assume this is not something you do to protect your warranty, as I've read that dealer will find out regardless. Correct?

2. Is it really that easy to exchange the ECU? This is something that could be done "at home"?

3. Is this a decision that has to be made early? For example, what if I go ahead and flash my car's ECU now with the tune program, and then later on down the line decide to get a second ECU with a stock program, could I then buy the new ECU loaded with a stock program (as opposed to one loaded with the tuned program)? I hope I am making sense here.

TIA<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="lo2">

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Web site for EVOMS Spare ECU here
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="copy10">By purchasing this new ECU option, we will program a new OEM ECU with our performance software which eliminates the need to send us the ECU from your car. Once we have your 997TT VIN number, we will upload all of your vehicles specific information into this ECU and calibrate it according to your cars "thumb print". This allows you to have 2 ECU's that will operate your vehicle allowing you to interchange the stock OEM ECU with your "cloned" performance ECU at anytime. Simply disconnect one and plug the other one in at anytime. This is an excellent option which allows additional flexibility when modifying your new car.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 05-05-2009, 12:38 AM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
The popularity and consistently good reviews of EVOMSit are making my trigger finger itchy. Anyway, I saw the following at evoms.com web site: A spare ECU.

1. I assume this is not something you do to protect your warranty, as I've read that dealer will find out regardless. Correct?

2. Is it really that easy to exchange the ECU? This is something that could be done "at home"?

3. Is this a decision that has to be made early? For example, what if I go ahead and flash my car's ECU now with the tune program, and then later on down the line decide to get a second ECU with a stock program, could I then buy the new ECU loaded with a stock program (as opposed to one loaded with the tuned program)? I hope I am making sense here.

TIA<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=lo2>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=copy10>By purchasing this new ECU option, we will program a new OEM ECU with our performance software which eliminates the need to send us the ECU from your car. Once we have your 997TT VIN number, we will upload all of your vehicles specific information into this ECU and calibrate it according to your cars "thumb print". This allows you to have 2 ECU's that will operate your vehicle allowing you to interchange the stock OEM ECU with your "cloned" performance ECU at anytime. Simply disconnect one and plug the other one in at anytime. This is an excellent option which allows additional flexibility when modifying your new car.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
It is not difficult to swap ECU's, more difficult in a cab than a coupe. But by all means call Todd at EVOMS and get it from the guru himself.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:45 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga

TIA<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="lo2">

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="copy10">By purchasing this new ECU option, we will program a new OEM ECU with our performance software which eliminates the need to send us the ECU from your car. Once we have your 997TT VIN number, we will upload all of your vehicles specific information into this ECU and calibrate it according to your cars "thumb print". This allows you to have 2 ECU's that will operate your vehicle allowing you to interchange the stock OEM ECU with your "cloned" performance ECU at anytime. Simply disconnect one and plug the other one in at anytime. This is an excellent option which allows additional flexibility when modifying your new car.</td></tr></tbody></table>
1)The really useful reason to do it would be to have a true 91 or 93 pump set up/tune and then maybe a race gas 100 octane tune. You can also do it so that you have your stock ECU untouched etc... and then swap in for your modified ECU however the number of hours etc... So if you're going to do that use the "new" ECU as your programed one if that makes sense?
2)Absolutely. Easy as pie and takes about 15 mins on a Coupe to swap.
3)You can although if that's something that's important I would keep your stock ECU un-touched and get a second ECU that's tuned. Make sense?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
I also noticed that on the EVOMS site,so you would have to do this before hand so as to keep your original ECU untouched in stock form right ? I would think this is the only reason for this option so when you go back to dealer it would be unnoticeable ,or can they still tell somehow because of the hrs usage .Sorry to hijack your post cannga but you always ask such good questions LOL.It's to late for me as i've bitten the bullet on a flash ,just curious about the extra ECU as CPO is always a concern.

Last edited by twturbo; 05-05-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
My 2 cent rant ..

I don't care about my stock ECU . As anyone can see a stock 997tt has taken a 50 percent depreciation since 07 on the wholesale market . If I were selling my car those interested would be a specific type of car buyer wanting more than stock Turbo and they would be willing to pay extra for it . Of course they could buy a stock turbo and spend a few months and enough to buy two turbos to have my car.

If you are worried about warranty and resale you have lost half already and made it two years without a problem to drive a car which is NOT what it could be .

All that money, all that time , all that worry and the car is nice but isn't peak. I view thiis a bad case scenario .

A stock ECU and a modded separate ECU can only go so far . If you break an axle or blow an engine inconsistencies can be detected . Plus I think two ECU's might create an auto insurance nightmare especially if there is a collision.

In my opinion the honest approach is the only way --mod the car , tell the insurance , hope that service will fix it and if they don't then that's the price of the toy .

... and the manufacturer is in no shape to hear " I won't buy another 150K car from you" . Porsches are great but this invisible leash of warranty and resale phobia is not in the owners manual .

This is your car. Not Porsche , not the dealership , not the tuner , not even the bank if your name is on the title . You have every right to do with it as you choose but you also need to verify with yoir car insurance and inform those you sell to of the car's history .

BTW -I would have more doubts buying a used car from someone with two ECU's than a straight up seller proud of his car .

You have to decide Can what your mod comfort zone is and if you are on the fence my general rule is ... when in doubt say no.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:08 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
One more thing - I have great respect and admiration for Evoms and that's why their products are on my car . To me it's important to have confidence with any components installed and Evoms has offered wonderful things to enhance my driving experience .

I understand that some may opt for flexibility and want a second super ECU track version .I would not feel comfortable as there is an auto insurance component if one chooses to drive a high Hp machine . One ECU flash gives an auto insurance company an exact spec to the car and if its reflashed then I notify them too .

If one is so worried about Porsche or warranty or resale .. I think the bigger concern is making sure insurance coverage protects all liability for an owner's car and two ECU's opens a second door.

Choice - One has the choice to remain stock . One can mod one ECU . One can add/clone more than one . Each person has to decide what works .

I can't say enough about how happy I am with my car and if I had to mod it all over again .. I would .

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-05-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Danger will robinson...danger! Danger!

Also...remember that there is data recorded in terms of hours of use for a vehicle on the ECU. Odometer data is stored elsewhere.

If you swap to a modified ECU, run it for months, and then swap back to stock before service, a very thoughtful tech could find that your hours per use to be suspiciously low on your stock ECU for the odometer reading.

Example:
1000 miles then swap to modified ECU. Then, at 10,000 miles, you swap back. Average "miles per hour" will look excessively high for the stock ECU.

But...if you want a spare ECU...give me a call...I have one. I was going to use it before I went with Ruf. You'll need someone to program in your VIN and a few other codes.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
The warranty issue is a non-issue!
My Porsche Dealer installed every mod including the ECU, they proudly display EVo at the counter. They have zero mechanicals on 997TT, I feel pretty safe about my decision. If something goes bang, I will have a 3.8

Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I would not do a 'fake ecu', just smells of fraud, better just to be totally up front with your mods. You only get into trouble when you try to hide things.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Only if you wanted to keep your original ecu to return the car to factory stock someday, then it makes sense to mod another ecu. Otherwise, dont worry about it have fun!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I would not do a 'fake ecu', just smells of fraud, better just to be totally up front with your mods. You only get into trouble when you try to hide things.
I'm the same way, I think it's always best to be up front and work with your dealer As long as you don't lie they usually treat you well

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
I'm the same way, I think it's always best to be up front and work with your dealer As long as you don't lie they usually treat you well
Exactly - I am close enough to AWE (about 4 hours) to have taken the car to them for the tune & exhaust install. Instead I had my dealer purchase & install both. No secrets from them and it allowed them to make some money. They are able to buy the items at dealer cost and then sell to me at same price AWE would. Installation is installation. Everybody wins and no secrets.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I personally don't see a need for a spare ECU. Always be up front with your dealer. That is the best way.

You will not see a need to go back to stock or a stock like ECU tune once you have the EVOMSit software. It really does drive like stock in normal driving conditions. It's only when you mash the throttle that you feel the difference in dirving characteristics.

Best of all, the ECU will automatically switch tunes for you if you decide to put in some happy juice (higher octane stuff ).

Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
If somenone is worried about when it comes time to sell, can't a modded ECU just be flashed back to stock?

Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I agree. No need to spend the extra $$ for an additional ECU. No matter what you do, there could be warranty issues, no one can guarantee otherwise. As for dyi removal, I did it w/o problems and I'm not the most mechanically inclined (to say the least). As soon as I can responsibly save enough for a 700 upgrade, I'm there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question for EVOMSit Experts Re. Spare ECU