997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hi Octane fuel and Effects on Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BADBRUNO
I'll go back and check if it was leaded or unleaded fuel the pumps are right next to each other.. What does leaded fuel do to the cats?
Leaded fuel will kill your cat

Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I'll go back and check if it was leaded or unleaded fuel the pumps are right next to each other.. What does leaded fuel do to the cats?
Going back to check the pump is a good idea. You might have mixed up the leaded/unleaded gasolines or it is possible the track mixed them up when filling the tanks. Lead irreversibly fouls the cats preventing the intended chemical reactions and sometimes even causing decreased flow. Lots of us run 100 octane unleaded without issue.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
BADBRUNO is infamous around these parts
Sparkhill

The dealer is telling me that there is an efficiency / flow problem in the cats.... This must be the problem!!!

thanks for you reply

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Stating the brand of exhaust you own might allow others to chime in with options. I believe Fabspeed is the only modular exhaust and all of the others will probably require you cut out the old cats and weld new ones in. As suggested earlier, that would be a lot cheaper than a whole new exhaust. You might have better luck at a local independent shop or at one of the tuners near where you live rather than the dealer.

I recently ran across the quote," Porsche, the gift that keeps on taking." I think it fits for most of us.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I just liked at your photos, nice shots ! What pipes are you running with, tips and which exhaust?

Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
At least tell us what the exhaust rhymes with.....

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
a quick post search reveals "Bill Tech"

Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by eclou
lol, now we all know who has the brains on this forum

Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Lead and Manganese (MMT) are the two most common cat killers. They coat the reactive surfaces in the converter, destroying them.
The only cure is a replacement.
IMHO, someone caused one of these two agents to be introduced into your fuel tank. A little Sherlock Holmes work and maybe a chemical test will find the culprit.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 PM
What pipes are you running with, tips and which exhaust?
If you were referring to my car, I have the Cargraphics Loud exhaust with the black Fabspeed tips, which I believe are exactly the same as the EVO tips. The tips will fit just about any exhaust.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Question

After driving it for a bit were the exhaust tips a bit white, a little chalky maybe? If so the gas was leaded. This isn't usually an issue for the O2s as they can clean themselves if not poisoned repeatedly but for a catalytic it can be fatal.

If it wasn't lead it's remotely possible that the ECU mapping wasn't adjusted for the octane and that the timing wasn't advanced enough. higher octane burns more slowly and if too little timing is onboard you'll still have a reaction going in the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens - the exhaust overheats and can also trash the catalytic. This would be pretty rare though IMO, I'm betting it was leaded and if you saw a chalky residue on your exhaust you'll know for sure.

Last edited by BLKMGK; 05-13-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Originally Posted by eclou
lol - I got it. Plus a GIAC ecu upgrade.
"997 TT, with about 10K miles on it with 100 cell cats and GIAC ECU, nothing but perfect<!-- google_ad_section_end --> "<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM
perfect call

Your are Right on the Money yes I did see the white chalk and I have determined that It was 110 octane Leaded fuel Mt fault at the track!

What's the best fix?

I'm getting P0420 error

Has this damaged the lamda sensors? I'd

I have been told that the ecu can be programed to defeat the ox sensor fault

Or replace the exhaust system $4000

What do you think?

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
After driving it for a bit were the exhaust tips a bit white, a little chalky maybe? If so the gas was leaded. This isn't usually an issue for the O2s as they can clean themselves if not poisoned repeatedly but for a catalytic it can be fatal.

If it wasn't lead it's remotely possible that the ECU mapping wasn't adjusted for the octane and that the timing wasn't advanced enough. higher octane burns more slowly and if too little timing is onboard you'll still have a reaction going in the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens - the exhaust overheats and can also trash the catalytic. This would be pretty rare though IMO, I'm betting it was leaded and if you saw a chalky residue on your exhaust you'll know for sure.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
The cats are likely toast, the O2s can often survive a little lead, especially when run on regular gas afterwards. Sadly I think the catalytics will not come back - sorry about that

Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
New cats!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hi Octane fuel and Effects on Aftermarket Exhaust Systems