997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fabspeed Intake in hot humid climate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Porsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the rough
Fabspeed Intake in hot humid climate

Hi everyone.

I was just wandering if the fabspeed intake with the heat shield is safe enough to use in very hot and humid climate. I live in Dubai and it can get really hot in summer. Is the new improved version containing the heat shield safe enough to use without getting heat soaked?. I ask because even when I leave my car to idle after spirited driving to cool off the temperature will nearly always rise a bit. This is probably because not enough cool air is getting into the engine bay fast enough. Would be worried about the fabspeed intake at stop and go traffic. However I just really want to hear those turbos whistling. If anyone has any input or experience with the fabspeed intake in similar climate conditions please chime in. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche Boy
Hi everyone.

I was just wandering if the fabspeed intake with the heat shield is safe enough to use in very hot and humid climate. I live in Dubai and it can get really hot in summer. Is the new improved version containing the heat shield safe enough to use without getting heat soaked?. I ask because even when I leave my car to idle after spirited driving to cool off the temperature will nearly always rise a bit. This is probably because not enough cool air is getting into the engine bay fast enough. Would be worried about the fabspeed intake at stop and go traffic. However I just really want to hear those turbos whistling. If anyone has any input or experience with the fabspeed intake in similar climate conditions please chime in. Thanks for the help.
is there a way to have an AC vent routed to the intake compartment? my brother lives in Dubai and he said it get hotter than HELL.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
stick a high flow panel filter in the stock airbox and be done with it. open air elements are going to be hard pressed to match the stock setup as the weather gets hot and I will believe that until I see some testing data otherwise, I could be wrong.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Hi everyone.

I just installed them last week. It gets hot and humid here in the summer. It's been in the 80's this week, and I've only noticed my oil temp running about 10 degrees hotter (though that's a baseline to much cooler days).

In seeing how the snorkels fit over the cones (but don't create a seal), there appears to be enough fresh air that should come in. No doubt it's pulling a fair amount of hot air from the engine bay.

I for one did this mod for the sound, not for the performance. IMHO, as long as your temp guages are in the norm, no worries.

Keep the stockers just in case.

Last edited by taylorcoleman; 05-22-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Tiger is infamous around these parts
hi Im from dubai too, just keep in mind that any changes to the car, no matter how small, the whole warranty of the car will be cancelled. i read a post earlier, that porsche will deny the Whole warranty even if you change the rims. - so that you know. secondly make sure u know a good workshop. In the U.S there are many workshops who know what they are doing and u can easily depend on them, i cant say the same about dubai. What i suggest is that if u get the fabspeed intake make sure you put the stock back on everytime you take the car to service.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:07 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
stick a high flow panel filter in the stock airbox and be done with it. Open air elements are going to be hard pressed to match the stock setup as the weather gets hot and i will believe that until i see some testing data otherwise, i could be wrong.
+1

Old 05-22-2009, 11:11 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
I just installed them last week. It gets hot and humid here in the summer. It's been in the 80's this week, and I've only noticed my oil temp running about 10 degrees hotter (though that's a baseline to much cooler days).

In seeing how the snorkels fit over the cones (but don't create a seal), there appears to be enough fresh air that should come in. No doubt it's pulling a fair amount of hot air from the engine bay.

I for one did this mod for the sound, not for the performance. IMHO, as long as your temp guages are in the norm, no worries.

I would say if you are seeing a temp. rise in Pittsburgh, where the temp and himidity is nowhere near that of Dubai. I would stay away of a intake, unless it blocks all air from the engine compartment. I agree with Gmoney about a better flowing filter. Until I see data proven different..

Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
Originally Posted by milou
+1
+2 :d

Old 05-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Porsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the rough
Well thanks for the help fellows. It seems that the only safe way is to go for a sealed box intake. I might just get the fabspeed intake and get some custome made surroundings put on.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Another solution for you could be this thing, just make sure you speak French well

Attached Images    
Old 05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by milou
Another solution for you could be this thing, just make sure you speak French well
Hah, yea I remember that topic with the dictionary thing. To be honest this intake seems amaazing but I am sure the cost is way too much. Thanks though.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 PM
ishmerc is infamous around these parts

What year is your car ? If it 09 did you have problem with the check engine light coming on ?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Well thanks for the help fellows. It seems that the only safe way is to go for a sealed box intake. I might just get the fabspeed intake and get some custome made surroundings put on.
save your money for other mod ,this one is not worth it ,if you still want one,i have one for sale.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ishmerc
What year is your car ? If it 09 did you have problem with the check engine light coming on ?
it's an '09. no CELs. love...love the sound it makes. i'll update the forum if i find the engine temps in unsafe territory. was 85 today and had a fair amount of spirited driving...no problems.

for anyone who kept the stock, but changed to a higher flow filter...did you experience a significant sound increase in the turbo spooling and dumping sound?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM
it's an '09. no CELs. love...love the sound it makes. i'll update the forum if i find the engine temps in unsafe territory. was 85 today and had a fair amount of spirited driving...no problems.

for anyone who kept the stock, but changed to a higher flow filter...did you experience a significant sound increase in the turbo spooling and dumping sound?
so your car is a Turbo and not a C2S .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Intake in hot humid climate