997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

good tires for modid tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 AM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
good tires for modid tt

Looking around for good tires to replace the stocker on my 997tt.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Now my car spin a lot on the lunch causing to shift to the second gear quickly sometimes, i read about the Nitto NT05 and how do they grip, any recommendations?<o></o>
<o></o>
Thanks<o></o>

Old 05-25-2009, 02:33 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
To really answer your question, we need a little more info. Where do you live? If the car's a daily driver, you're going to want something that does everything well, obviously dry traction is important but need to also consider the occassional wet drive if you live in a place like Florida. What tires are currently on the car? Also what purposes do you use your car? If you plan on doing a few track days and use the car for canyon carving or "spirited" runs, you'd probably want better tires than for a blvd cruiser and do occassional 60-130 runs. If you do some 1/4 mile runs you're gonna want something else. So, it's easy to tell you to go with Tire X because it does everything well, but Tire Y might be better suited to your needs but isn't as good of an all around tire. Wow I guess I just said a lot when I could have just said "How are you going to use your car?" lol

Old 05-25-2009, 05:05 AM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
Thank you for the reply<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
i drive this car twice weekly and the stock tires are Michelin P2 right now.<o></o>
some of my friends suggest to use semi slick tires but i head they are hard on the trans and the diff. i don't want to go this route, and others told me there is another brands are better than the P2 so i want to hear from you expert guys<o></o>

Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Pilot Sport Cups

Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
Toyo RA1's or R888's and call it a day!

Where do you live? Cold climates?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
Change tires won't help to stop spins...You had more power..Even you use semi sliks they need times to heat up and you can't really do it on street..

Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
It sounds like with only 2 days a week, that it's more of a fun weekend toy. So if that's the case you could try out a semi-slick like the Michelin Sport Cups or the Toyo R888 or RA1's. But they do require heating up which is why they are good track tires, not necessarily good street tires. The truth is, the PS 2's are VERY good tires, to me it doesn't sound like you need different tires, it sounds like you need BIGGER tires. With a modded car, you're going to get wheel spin no matter what tire you choose. The key is limiting that wheel spin by putting more rubber on the ground. What level are your mods from Protomotive? If you're up near 650/700ish hp or beyond, then the stock tire sizes are too small. I'd suggest running the biggest tires in the rear that'll fit. I could be wrong but I think there's a few people running 335's in the rear of their 997TT's. You'll need new wheels to support going that wide and might need creative offsets that'll give you the clearance so you don't need to roll your fender lips. I know many peope are running 315's on 997TT's without any problems but that's not much bigger than the standard 305's. I'd go as big as possible. Also, if you do get new wheels, don't move up to 20's because the sidewall is so small and stiff which means it doesn't give the tires any time to bite. That's why drag cars use smaller aspect ratio tires with more sidewall, so stick with 19's. If you do decide to give semi-slicks or "R" compound tires a try, then I highly suggest learning how to warm up the tires. Many people have bought them thinking that their softer compound will give them better performance when infact it was quite the opposite, they start complaining that the tires slide out from under them and don't bite, like they're driving in water and hydroplaning and the reason for that is because they're not warmed up. They just by them for the wrong applications.

If you are interested in going with new bigger wheels and tires talk to one the Sponsors like HRE to find out a good size rim and make sure you talk to them about backspacing and find out if spacers will be needed etc. Make sure you talk to them and find out how big of a tire you can put on what sizes. I'm not an expert on those particulars, however they are so they'll give you good advice. As for which tires you choose after going to a wider size, I still think the PS2's are great but if you want something different just for the sake of doing something different that's a good all around tire, my #2 tire choices would be the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions or the Yokohama Advan Sports for both their dry traction and their steering response.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Good Luck, let us know what you decide. hopefully others with Modded cars will tell you what route they went.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 997John
semi slick tires but i head they are hard on the trans and the diff.<O</O
I have people telling me the same thing, but once they are not Porsche experts i think that this is a comum sense rule for the average cars. As our cars are above the average, will the use of Pilot cups or R888 really hurt the transmissions/suspension components?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Tiago, these cars produce so much torque that it really wont have any effects. With these transmissions built as hefty as they are, the only reason that it might be a problem would be if you got the tires really warm and then decided to do an hours worth of dumping the clutch at 5500RPM at which point even with bald tires soaked in Oil you're going to have problems lol

Old 05-27-2009, 02:29 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
it might be a problem would be if you got the tires really warm and then decided to do an hours worth of dumping the clutch at 5500RPM
That is not possible with tip, so is totally safe for me

Old 05-27-2009, 07:27 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Use the N rated Sport Cups, they are more of a street tire than the regular Sport Cup ( more like a really good PS2 than anything). This is actually an optional summer tire on the TT in Europe.