997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Boost Loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I had the same issue before with the Y-Pipe hose. The clamp going into the TB came loose. It's a simple fix.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
Had a conversation with the dealer today and the service tech told me the actuators on the diverters may be stuck, thus boost is being released. I never brought my car in for them to "re-lube" the actuators. He said this could very well be the problem.

He also mentioned that it will probably be a quick fix regardless. Let's just hope so!! I will be bringing it in tomorrow morning. As for mods, they don't have any problems with that because he said 90% of the turbos that come in are modded. So...? We'll see soon I hope!!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
So I think you owe me about $$$, LOL. Hope it's diverters bro, cheap fix....Keep us posted.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Problem solved

Thanks for your input everyone. I tried tugging at whatever hoses I could but everything felt pretty snug so nothing was obvious to me. I ended up taking the car to the dealer. They pulled off the air box and Y-pipe. It turned out that the hose connecting the right intercooler came loose with the o-ring seal out of place. Must be my new 70 mm FVD exhaust and all that extra boost . As for cost, it was all covered under warranty. I still can't get over how sweet that exhaust note is.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
With temps changing here back and forth in Cali turbo guys need to be on boost-hose watch The hoses to the y-pipe and to the intercoolers are especially prone to popping off;(

Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Good going TT !!! Been reading the thread and glad things worked out for you.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Good going TT !!! Been reading the thread and glad things worked out for you.
Thanks Larry, Me too. The tech took the car for a test drive after the warranty repair and tells me that "it's definitely faster than stock."

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Good to hear that you got it fixed.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
With temps changing here back and forth in Cali turbo guys need to be on boost-hose watch The hoses to the y-pipe and to the intercoolers are especially prone to popping off;(
It looked like it's just two "barbs" that fit with the intercooler and doesn't seem like it is well-designed to hold all that pressure. Are the aftermarket ones better?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 AM
bluesea is infamous around these partsbluesea is infamous around these parts
Glad you got things sorted out TT.

There are a number of aftermarket intercoolers out now. You may have to decide how far up the performance chain you're going to go in deciding on a specific one. It seems that some of the highest power kits have ever larger intercoolers. I think Switzer have the largest.

I may change mine at some point.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
Just got a call from the service guy and it turns out that one of my turbos had gone bad. It does have to do with re-lubricating of the actuator arms, which I never had done. Thus, the actuator arm of one of the turbos is now stuck in the "small" configuration of the turbo, which prevents the car from getting the proper boost. Now, they are waiting for Porsche to let them know if they have to change one or both of the turbos (I'm hoping both!!). The good news out of all this is, it is all covered under warranty.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:08 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bluesea
Glad you got things sorted out TT.

There are a number of aftermarket intercoolers out now. You may have to decide how far up the performance chain you're going to go in deciding on a specific one. It seems that some of the highest power kits have ever larger intercoolers. I think Switzer have the largest.

I may change mine at some point.
I just changed mine to AWE (along with the larger throttle body and re-mapped ECU). I'll let the forum know how well it works tomorrow when I pick it up (and after someone drags me out of the car).

Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
while they have the turbos off the car......mod 'em!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Great news...

You if it happens again, rather than changing the hoses, you can simply change clamps from "plumber" style clamps to stepless screw clamps that are used on aircraft...

Old 06-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Great news...

You if it happens again, rather than changing the hoses, you can simply change clamps from "plumber" style clamps to stepless screw clamps that are used on aircraft...

Good idea. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost Loss