997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Boost Loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
glad to hear everything worked out, the exact same thing happened to me after my exhaust install......I remember how upset I was, but it ended up being an easy fix.....enjoy the noise

Old 06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nyamg
glad to hear everything worked out, the exact same thing happened to me after my exhaust install......I remember how upset I was, but it ended up being an easy fix.....enjoy the noise
Thanks, nyamg. Interesting--I don't think it's just a coincidence that this exhaust with an upgraded ecu causes the hoses to blow right off. I'm afraid it's going to happen again. Are yours holding up or did you make some modifications?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TTdude
Thanks, nyamg. Interesting--I don't think it's just a coincidence that this exhaust with an upgraded ecu causes the hoses to blow right off. I'm afraid it's going to happen again. Are yours holding up or did you make some modifications?
Mine haven't come off again, but I also don't have an ecu upgrade.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned
peter_08911TT is infamous around these partspeter_08911TT is infamous around these parts
I'm having the same problem but my tt is completly stock except for BMC filter. I haven't seen pass 13psi at WOT even in Sport mode. Once in a while i get a 3 second lag before it take off. My tt have less than 5k mile on it. I checked all the hoses and it seen to be on, nothing is lose. what could be wrong with it??

thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
One of my hoses that goes into the throttle body was loose, and the metal clamps were broken. Was hard to detect as something that was in front of that hose had to be removed first, before one could have access to the hose.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
One of my hoses that goes into the throttle body was loose, and the metal clamps were broken. Was hard to detect as something that was in front of that hose had to be removed first, before one could have access to the hose.
Crap same thing just happened to me about 30 minutes ago--- had 1.2 bar and then .9 and then .4 and then nada tostada. I checked the hose to the plenum and its loose- one of the clamps is broken...I could feel the cold air.

Thank god I got Stuttgart Performance about 4 miles from here. Ill leave in 20 and be back in 60 with juice again.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Scary at first

I've had this happen a few times and at first it was kind of scary but these things sometimes take a bit to settle. As others have said it is almost for sure a loose hose connection and easily fixed. It happens. I'd take it back to the installer - for sure! Most likely they will make sure they fix it for you. Why would the dealer repair someone else's product that was installed by someone else - and if they do they will most certainly charge you for it.
Good luck - that boost will come back full force. Count on it.
K.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Hate to revive an old thread but I can't help but wonder if something ain't quite right. Pulled onto the highway and was doing about 100km/h in 3rd with sport mode on my Proto car and then stomped on it. It did accelerate but not like I remember it. Sounds more "raspy" too. The boost gauge does pin at 17psi as expected but I think something is "off". No cel and no idle roughness or other issues. In non-sport mode it sounds "normal" and accelerates quite well. I think there is more acceleration with the sport mode but it does sound different. I have a Proto tune and AWE exhaust.

Can you have a boost loss but the gauge shows normal expected boost? i.e. can you lose boost somewhere after the meter has read boost? I initially thought maybe it was clutch slipping but it isn't like how other people describe clutch slipping. I also thought that maybe the plugs needed to be changed but c'mon it's only got 10k miles on it!!!

I guess the other possibility is that I've just gotten used to the power and need to upgrade further!!!!!! Say it isn't so. I don't honestly think so, I think perhaps something is off. I'll check the clamps and hoses from the y-pipe etc... If I get my head under the car can I check all of the i/c hoses etc... or do I have to get some panels taken off? Dammit, the car was just in the shop getting my loose exhaust taken care of, I should've remembered to ask them to check these things while they were there.

I haven't done any datalogging, I presume that would be of value in determining if it's just my imagination or if something really is off. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
I doubt you are losing boost if you see that much on the gauge.
Have you driven the car pretty easy lately? Was is hot outside? If it was hot, the car will feel slower for sure. I have noticed the car pulls alot harder at night where the temperature is around 17-19C compare to 26-28c in the afternoon.
My car is fast at times and not fast at all at other times on pump gas. I think it has alot to do with the gas in the car. maybe a bad tank of gas? If you do some data loggings, you should be able to see what's wrong with it. and then mix a couple gallons of race gas in there to see if it improves.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Did the problem happen before or after taking it to the shop? You could have a slight leak. As Abby suggested, Durametic would be able to pick it up. I assume your sport tune can go up to 22 psi. There are several Proto datalogs out there to compare with so you might be able to see if something is off.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Detective time

Nuts - it's frustrating when these things happen but they do get resolved with some detective work and some patience.

I agree with TTDude given the timing of your problem right after your muffle work. I'd first have all your seals and connections carefully (not just by eye) checked for a loose hose of whatever. Do you hear an extra "whoosh" sound and low boost when you step no it? If so, it's a lose clamp connection as I've had this a few times. Sounds like you have a good tuner (dealer?) so begin by taking it back to them. Did you change your muffler?

Different results at different temperatures and on sport mode is interesting but may just make the issue more noticeable. No code is also interesting but encouraging as well.

When I drive my TT around the city all winter it learns a style of driving that takes a tank of gas or so to get over when the roads get dry. Just a thought re the other comment about taking it easy.

Good luck - with a good tuner you'll resolve this soon.

K.

Originally Posted by Abby997TT
I doubt you are losing boost if you see that much on the gauge.
Have you driven the car pretty easy lately? Was is hot outside? If it was hot, the car will feel slower for sure. I have noticed the car pulls alot harder at night where the temperature is around 17-19C compare to 26-28c in the afternoon.
My car is fast at times and not fast at all at other times on pump gas. I think it has alot to do with the gas in the car. maybe a bad tank of gas? If you do some data loggings, you should be able to see what's wrong with it. and then mix a couple gallons of race gas in there to see if it improves.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Thanks for the input guys. Let me clarify a couple of things. The exhaust was changed in April, just had it retightened a few days ago. I don't think the boost issue is related as it has been there for a while. It's been a hot humid summer here. There was a cool evening with not too much humidity and so as I was pulling onto a really long onramp I was in 3rd gear around 60mph in sport mode which is around 4k rpm and I stomped on it. It did accelerate but I guess I was just a little underwhelmed. The boost gauge has always indicated max of 17psi (as expected) so there was no drop off in boost, or at least if it was supposed to be 22psi it didn't drop to below 17psi. There was no "whooshing" per se but I could swear it sounds a little more raspy in sport mode in 3rd gear with wot above 4k rpm. Not sure if that makes any sense.

Today was another cool day and the car just zips around amazingly in the first few gears (not going really fast, just zipping from light to light). Above 4k rpm in 3rd it's nice but maybe I am expecting too much? If there is a boost leak somewhere it's subtle. I'll check out any clamps I can get my hands on to see if anything is loose. To check the intercooler clamps does one need to take off any covers or just get under the car? I'll try datalogging sometime over the next few days which should certainly provide answers.

Thanks again all.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 PM
K,
I was just rereading your comment about the car adapting to driving style. I do drive fairly conservatively a lot of the time so I wonder if that's part of it (the car adapting to me)

Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
There was no "whooshing" per se but I could swear it sounds a little more raspy in sport mode in 3rd gear with wot above 4k rpm. Not sure if that makes any sense.
Because of the 'raspy' sound you mention, I wonder if you have developed a leak in the headers or the exhaust.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM
If your datalogs look normal then I would agree with you that only by upgrading will your urge for more power be satisfied.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost Loss