997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help Pls: Questions fo those with modded ECU.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have 8500 miles on my car and handed it to my tuners with less than 200 miles . All of the software was done at Evoms and I have never spoken with them directly only because I never had to . My car has been great . I could call them and praise their work but my guess is that they are reading this .

I never had a cel , no idle problems , always felt accomodated in pricing , and found that the technicians themselves praised Evoms . In short .. if they faced a hurdle or question , they were accomodated and that's what really counts . What matters to me is the confidence I have with the way my car drives .

I am 3000+ k miles away from California and I do go there from time to time . I hope someday to make it to their shop and shake their hand personally because I have been that happy .

Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
To the discerning ear, a change in the exhaust note upon an ecu flash is very likely. I view this as a positive since changing the air/fuel/timing mix should lead to a different combustion sound. If it sounded the same as stock, I would wonder about it. I also have an EVOMSit flash and I could hear a change on idle. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked it (probably because it didn't sound the same as before) but I got used to it pretty quickly. Now I have the FVD exhaust and love the sound. As for idling speed, I never really paid attention pre- and post-flash but it feels just right.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
cannaga,
We increase the idle speed from ~770 RPMs (stock) to 850 RPMs. I can have Mike at Stuttgart flash the ECU with a new file with the stock idle speed. The idle speed stock ranges from 740 RPMs to 1050 RPMs depending on temperatures. We increase the bottom end of the idle speed table to 850 RPMs so the idle is more consistent even with the fluctuation in temperature. Hope this helps.
Thank you Todd & sorry for the "excitement" my little innocent question has brought. Do I get points for this publicity stunt or what?

Back to topic at hand, thanks, above is the answer I was hoping for. So what I felt did match your description; I felt that the idle was a tad higher than before. (Sorry that I am so nit-picky; this is what happens when one doesn't treat OCD early. LOL) Yes, I would like to bring the idle rpm down since I drive my car daily, but my questions are, doing so wouldn't cause any harm or reduce the power from the your ECU tune?

I finally got a chance to test the car for real today (first day had a passenger with me and couldn't tell much). In third gear at WOT, there was so much power that the front of the car wants to lift off the street. That's just my imagination, no? I am not kidding btw.
Congrats on your company's success, btw; well deserved! I was very skeptical before the mod, not anymore.

Last edited by cannga; 06-02-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Thank you Todd & sorry for the "excitement" my little innocent question has brought. Do I get points for this publicity stunt or what?

Back to topic at hand, thanks, above is the answer I was hoping for. So what I felt did match your description; I felt that the idle was a tad higher than before. (Sorry that I am so nit-picky; this is what happens when one doesn't treat OCD early. LOL) Yes, I would like to bring the idle rpm down since I drive my car daily, but my questions are, doing so wouldn't cause any harm or reduce the power from the your ECU tune?

I finally got a chance to test the car for real today (first day had a passenger with me and couldn't tell much). In third gear at WOT, there was so much power that the front of the car wants to lift off the street. That's just my imagination, no? I am not kidding btw.
Congrats on your company's success, btw; well deserved! I was very skeptical before the mod, not anymore.
Can,
No problem, I like the excitement of having to be on my toes Regarding the idle speed, I forgot to mention another very important reason I do this. When the idle speed is raised slightly, the engine will generate slightly more oil pressure. Since the oil pumps are driven by engine speed, this slight increased translates into slightly higher oil pressure especially when the engine is HOT and the oil viscosity is reduced. Let me know what you would like me to do and I will get it done. It’s easy to change the idle speed and it will have no other affect to the performance of the car. Take care<O</O

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 06-02-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have 8500 miles on my car and handed it to my tuners with less than 200 miles . All of the software was done at Evoms and I have never spoken with them directly only because I never had to . My car has been great . I could call them and praise their work but my guess is that they are reading this .

I never had a cel , no idle problems , always felt accomodated in pricing , and found that the technicians themselves praised Evoms . In short .. if they faced a hurdle or question , they were accomodated and that's what really counts . What matters to me is the confidence I have with the way my car drives .

I am 3000+ k miles away from California and I do go there from time to time . I hope someday to make it to their shop and shake their hand personally because I have been that happy .

Thank you for the feedback. I hear all about your car from Rich - he keeps me in the loop I am glad you are enjoying it. Please stop by anytime.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I for one, am a proponent for EVOMSit. Great company led by a great guy, Todd. Customer service is second to none. I have had no issues with the ECU what so ever. NO CELS either.

When I asked Todd some questions regarding my dyno charts, he was more than willing to help. As a matter of fact, he was taking notes during our conversation and reprogrammed a different flash that would suit me better. Now that is customer service and goes beyond the one flash fits all approach that some other tuners use. Just my opinion, but EVOMS delivers a great product and backs it with world class customer service!

Can,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the flash. You are one of the most meticulous guys I know and I know your decision making process was an extensive one. You are 100% correct on the fact that you haven't seen a bad post about the EVOMSit flash anywhere. I haven't either. The idle issue is something that Todd could adjust for you very easily I'm sure. Enjoy the new beast!

I'm sure you will be looking into the EVOMS headers and DV's soon

Glad to hear your feedback Mike and thank you for allowing me to make the software for your car more to your driving style. There are SOOOOO many variables when tuning these ECUS and I have realized that not everyone drives the same and expectations are different from customer to customer. All of the feedback that we get allows us to be better at what we do. We spend a ton of time with our eDRIVE affiliates before we release our products. The eDRIVE members are customers / enthusiasts like everyone here and we entrust them to test our products and provide detailed feedback to ensure the end user has a positive experience when modifying their vehicle. Our entire process is very well thought out and we have had tremendous success with product refinements due to this crucial feedback.

<O
For those who have a few hours to burn, you can download our 997TT catalog which contains details about our eDRIVE programs as well as ~50 pages of detailed behind the scenes information including our tuning methods, procedures and a ton of information that has been purged from the minds of the EVOMS crew. We finished this information catalog months ago but never formally launched it. We will be updating it with more information soon and will formally launch it. Here is the link to the current V1 997TT catalog: http://www.evomsit.com/catalogs.htm<O</O

Old 06-02-2009, 10:15 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?

Can,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the flash. You are one of the most meticulous guys I know and I know your decision making process was an extensive one. You are 100% correct on the fact that you haven't seen a bad post about the EVOMSit flash anywhere. I haven't either. The idle issue is something that Todd could adjust for you very easily I'm sure. Enjoy the new beast!

I'm sure you will be looking into the EVOMS headers and DV's soon
Thanks Mike. And you of course know whom I PM most often for advice. BTW, thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my numerous PM's on this ECU subject. I learned mostly from your experience.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
when my car was stock and during a cold startup the idle would go up very slightly when hitting the sport button - which is the first thing I do after starting it.

When the car is warm there it was harder to tell if it bumped up or not.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by TTdude
To the discerning ear, a change in the exhaust note upon an ecu flash is very likely. I view this as a positive since changing the air/fuel/timing mix should lead to a different combustion sound. If it sounded the same as stock, I would wonder about it....
Very interesting point. This is the kind of discussion I was looking for. Any expert would like to comment on this please?

When I added drop links to my Bilstein, the car also became more noisy, seemingly more road noise being transmitted. I searched and realized no one had mentioned this. So either one of two things: either a, I was hearing things, or b, the change is there & I am the only one crazy enough to notice & mention it. Since I am an audiophile with golden ears (kidding), I would bet it is b. Bottom line: Mods affect in cabin sound in odd ways and more often than I ever expected.

I sometimes feel sorry for the things I evaluate as I tend to go off into minute detail observations and scare off people. It was painful to see my thread turned into the direction it was taking. I enjoyed questioning the pro's in open forum because I think everyone learns so much this way (and appreciate their effort to answer publicly -- it's not easy I know). Thankfully what happened did not turn EVOMS off from this thread and I did manage to see some useful info afterall.

Anyway, I plan to have the idle rpm lowered, & will provide follow up.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I agree. It's great to hear from the experts. I also think there are enough people on this forum who can distiguish fact from fiction. I'm sure every tuner has been faced with a "nightmare" customer or case regardless whether it's the tuner or customer who's at fault. Let's face it, Porsche owners can be difficult and sometimes unreasonable in their expectations which really puts the onus on the tuner above and beyond what's reasonable. In my book, it's how situations are resolved and customer satisfaction. Since you really don't publicly hear about castrophic situations, I assume they get resolved satisfactorily and that applies to all reputable vendors, otherwise they would not last long in this business.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Can,
I also have the EVOMSIT tune w/ Milltek and 200 Cell HFC and also noticed a slight drone at idle around 840 RPM but the drone would go away if I tip the throttle a little to increase the RPM to around 950. And the drone is more pronounce in Sport mode. So in stead of reducing the idle speed, I'm thinking of having EVOMS increase it. And yes the drone gets worse if the top is down as I have a Cab.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the valuable input; what you describe is exactly what I am hearing. A resonance at 840 rpm that is both louder and higher pitched than the normal low frequency rumbling of the car that I love so much. And as you mentioned, it goes away at 950 or 1000. Although the volume is not that loud, being a higher pitched resonance, it is bothersome and intrusive.

Let's see what Todd have to say, but I do not think you should go up on the idle rpm because, for one, everyone on the forum is reporting 750 rpm at idle. I mean, even though 1000 idle rpm may solve the problem, it seems to be just fixing the symptom and not the root cause.

Todd is working with Mike/RSS to help me with this problem. I will be at RSS this Friday for a re-flash, around 3:30-4 pm or so. If you have time and are interested, come by and we could compare notes?
Thanks again.

Originally Posted by bli8
Can,
I also have the EVOMSIT tune w/ Milltek and 200 Cell HFC and also noticed a slight drone at idle around 840 RPM but the drone would go away if I tip the throttle a little to increase the RPM to around 950. And the drone is more pronounce in Sport mode. So in stead of reducing the idle speed, I'm thinking of having EVOMS increase it. And yes the drone gets worse if the top is down as I have a Cab.

Last edited by cannga; 06-03-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by bli8
Can,
I think it's your exhaust. I have a Fabspeed quiet version (200 cell HJS cats) sitting in my garage with 916 mi that I recently replaced with a louder FVD version. I had no drone whatsoever with the Fabspeed on stock idle. The Fabspeed is a really nice sounding exhaust, especially for a cab.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi TT,

It may be exhaust resonance, but probably not, because he's describing exactly what I am hearing at idle and I do not have this resonance before the EVOMSit ECU mod.

Also, from my exhaustive exhaust research, exhaust resonance is invariably that loud hum you hear around 2400-2800 on higher gear while moving, not at idle. It's there on the stock exhaust also, just get magnified when you change to louder exhaust.

This much may be true: It could be that this ECU interaction is problematic only with Miltek and Cargraphic. We'll find out Friday. BTW, the flash is otherwise pretty amazing; the power rush simply out of this world.

Originally Posted by TTdude
I think it's your exhaust. I have a Fabspeed quiet version (200 cell HJS cats) sitting in my garage with 916 mi that I recently replaced with a louder FVD version. I had no drone whatsoever with the Fabspeed on stock idle. The Fabspeed is a really nice sounding exhaust, especially for a cab.

Last edited by cannga; 06-03-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi TT,

It may be exhaust resonance, but probably not, because he's describing exactly what I am hearing at idle and I do not have this resonance before the EVOMSit ECU mod.

Also, from my exhaustive exhaust research, exhaust resonance is invariably that loud hum you hear around 2400-2800 on higher gear while moving, not at idle. It's there on the stock exhaust also, just get magnified when you change to louder exhaust.
Hi Can, I should probably clarify. The Fabspeed was installed before my EVOMSit ECU upgrade so, like you, I could notice a difference between pre- and post-flash exhaust note. I did notice a change in sound and attributed it to the combustion parameters of the newly flashed ECU coupled to the make-up of the exhaust. It's the exhaust metal that "resonates" with the combustion sound causing a resonance. I guess if the resonance is lounder then it becomes a drone. In any event, my Fabspeed exhaust did sound differently on idle before and after the flash but from a purely subjective viewpoint, I would not call it a resonance or drone. It wasn't annoying to me as to require a readjustment of the ECU idle but just sounded different if you know what I mean.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Pls: Questions fo those with modded ECU.