997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help Pls: Questions fo those with modded ECU.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks for the valuable input; what you describe is exactly what I am hearing. A resonance at 840 rpm that is both louder and higher pitched than the normal low frequency rumbling of the car that I love so much. And as you mentioned, it goes away at 950 or 1000. Although the volume is not that loud, being a higher pitched resonance, it is bothersome and intrusive.

Let's see what Todd have to say, but I do not think you should go up on the idle rpm because, for one, everyone on the forum is reporting 750 rpm at idle. I mean, even though 1000 idle rpm may solve the problem, it seems to be just fixing the symptom and not the root cause.

Todd is working with Mike/RSS to help me with this problem. I will be at RSS this Friday for a re-flash, around 3:30-4 pm or so. If you have time and are interested, come by and we could compare notes?
Thanks again.
Since the Sport mode "drones" more than Regular mode without a change in the idel RPM, there must be something else in the tune that changes this characteristic. Don't know what this is (timing, spark, or whatever) but can this whatever be adjusted around the idle RPM range to rid the "drone". I was told the Milltek and Cargraphic mufflers are of similar design and that's why we are the ones that are experiencing the same issue. I won't be able to make it to Stuttgart on Friday but if you go to Cars and Coffee Saturday, we can meet up and compare notes. BTW I compare exhaust notes w/ TTTurbo's Milltek and his didn't have the drone at all. His has a tuen from a different tuner though.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Perhaps the drone is related to an air/fuel mismatch? Some aftermarket exhausts seem to be very sensitive to it. I'm sure Evo can adjust the tune as needed. As a data point my Ruf tune idles at 750 rpm with no drone.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bli8
Since the Sport mode "drones" more than Regular mode without a change in the idel RPM, there must be something else in the tune that changes this characteristic. Don't know what this is (timing, spark, or whatever) but can this whatever be adjusted around the idle RPM range to rid the "drone".I was told the Milltek and Cargraphic mufflers are of similar design and that's why we are the ones that are experiencing the same issue. I won't be able to make it to Stuttgart on Friday but if you go to Cars and Coffee Saturday, we can meet up and compare notes. BTW I compare exhaust notes w/ TTTurbo's Milltek and his didn't have the drone at all. His has a tuen from a different tuner though.
Yes I do notice that the Miltek and Cargraphic look identical to each other!
I suspect Todd/EVOMS could adjust the timing, AFR, etc., parameters to take care of the drone (and for that matter, for anything because of his considerable skills), but... are we then tuning for sound, instead of power?

BTW, besides the resonance at idle and louder in cabin noise, I've also noticed a shift to a higher frequency character -- my Cargraphic low frequency growl is now gone and I miss it, and the overall character of exhaust sound is more high strung.

Once again, thanks everyone for your input. Love 6speed!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bli8
...but if you go to Cars and Coffee Saturday, we can meet up and compare notes. BTW I compare exhaust notes w/ TTTurbo's Milltek and his didn't have the drone at all. His has a tuen from a different tuner though.
I am not sure if I have to work this Saturday (don't know until the night before) but if I don't, I will see you there? Let's exchange cell phone in PM?

Remind me again please, what's the earliest that C&C is "open" and what time do you plan to be there? Anyone who would like to take a listen to Cargraphic and Miltek, here's your chance.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I might meet up with you guys there. Haven't been to C&C in a while.