997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help Pls: Questions fo those with modded ECU.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Help Pls: Questions fo those with modded ECU, esp. EVOMSit Stage 2.

After installing my EVOMS ECU, I've noticed that the car idles a bit louder than before, with a higher frequency, enough to bother me a little bit at traffic stops. The idle rpm is around 840. I have Cargraphic Loud, which prior to the ECU mod sounds very acceptable at idle; it was both not as loud as now and had a lower frequency rumble and therefore less bothersome.

1. Before I bug my tuner, just want to check if it's normal for a modded car to be louder at idle?

2. And, is that 840 idle rpm normal (I checked but don't remember now what it was before.)? If you don't mind, please post your idle rpm, with or without mod.

TIA. The car is fantastic otherwise: Pull like a freight train, less lag, faster spooling up.

Last edited by cannga; 06-01-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
My car idles the same as before, but I did notice the rattle that come from my LWFW goes away if the sport button is on.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I did my ECU so early that it's hard to recall stock but what I do remember is that the idle was the same . The exhaust and all the racing parts coupled with the software did transform somewhat of a luxury car into a hot rod .

I like this though.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
GIAC tune & no idle difference from stock for me

Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
SchH III is infamous around these parts
GIAC plus headers and exhaust...same sound, same idle...

Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks guys; seems most people have normal idle noise with GIAC/Softtronic. Any more input from people with EVOMSit please, particularly stage I-III?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have never noticed an idle noise change in my car.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Change an idle could be from the change in headers or exhaust. If it was a bone stock car with only the ECU upgrade, then the change of the ignition control could slightly affect it.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks guys; seems most people have normal idle noise with GIAC/Softtronic. Any more input from people with EVOMSit please, particularly stage I-III?
cannaga,
We increase the idle speed from ~770 RPMs (stock) to 850 RPMs. I can have Mike at Stuttgart flash the ECU with a new file with the stock idle speed. The idle speed stock ranges from 740 RPMs to 1050 RPMs depending on temperatures. We increase the bottom end of the idle speed table to 850 RPMs so the idle is more consistent even with the fluctuation in temperature. Hope this helps.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Todd@EVOMS addressed your question but I will add that I am Stage 2 (EVT 580) without any issues. The real question is what do you think of the flash on full boost?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Softronic does not change the idle as it is not necessary, although it can be done. Most of the turbo noise is from the scavenge pump and the trans itself at idle. This has been normal and applies to the 996TT also.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Todd@EVOMS addressed your question but I will add that I am Stage 2 (EVT 580) without any issues. The real question is what do you think of the flash on full boost?
The 4 parameters that I was hoping for when I decided to mod the ECU:

1. Faster spooling up (what happens when you step on the gas pedal at 2000 rpm -- there is a very long delay while the turbo is spooling up, and power doesn't kick in until around 3000 for the stock car).

2. Less lag (what happens when you step on the gas at 4000 rpm - the lag here is not as bad as that spooling up, but there is a lag -- to me this is the single worst flaw of a turbo engine).

3. Power and torque.

4. Customer service & reputation.

5. Fun factor -- could I be without it?

At this time, I am glad to say, in 1, 2, 3, and 4, EVOMSit scores a 10 out of 10. For number 5 -- fun factor -- it is an 11 out of 10.
Kidding aside, you know how careful/paranoid (grin) my "web research" is and how difficult I could be even when I review of my own car. I don't pull punches, for example the ridiculously soft stock suspension, and here the noise issue which thankfully seems like a simple matter to resolve.

The spooling is much faster than before, and I have not had time to evaluate this carefully, but it seems to come on sooner than the stock 3000.
The lag is much improved, stepping on the gas on 5th gear at 3000 now seems to feel the same as 5th gear at 4000 rpm before the mod.
The effect is that the car feels less ponderous. The enhanced agility makes it feel like a fog has been lifted from the car's behavior. It is now very quick. In fact I am sitting here at work missing it already. LOL.
As far as torque/power, above 3000, it does pull like a freight train. I would like to drive the car more, but the EVOMSit is so far passing in a spectacular fashion.

BTW, this thread is a simple question regarding idle noise for all of us to learn; I appreciate everyone's reply but please do not post rumours, and please do not turn it into a flash war! I picked EVOMSit because of the great reputation, and because I've waited and waited and waited since its announcement around the end of 2008, for a negative report, any negative report, and to my amazement, I've seen none. That said, I think all companies are good, so no need for bashing please!

Last edited by cannga; 06-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
The 4 parameters that I was hoping for when I decided to mod the ECU:

1. Faster spooling up (what happens when you step on the gas pedal at 2000 rpm -- there is a very long delay while the turbo is spooling up, and power doesn't kick in until around 3000 for the stock car).

2. Less lag (what happens when you step on the gas at 4000 rpm - the lag here is not as bad as that spooling up, but there is a lag -- to me this is the single worst flaw of a turbo engine).

3. Power and torque.

4. Customer service & reputation.

5. Fun factor -- could I be without it?

At this time, I am glad to say, in 1, 2, 3, and 4, EVOMSit scores a 10 out of 10. For number 5 -- fun factor -- it is an 11 out of 10.
Kidding aside, you know how careful/paranoid (grin) my "web research" is and how difficult I could be even when I review of my own car. I don't pull punches, for example the ridiculously soft stock suspension, and here the noise issue which thankfully seems like a simple matter to resolve.

The spooling is much faster than before, and I have not had time to evaluate this carefully, but it seems to come on sooner than the stock 3000.
The lag is much improved, stepping on the gas on 5th gear at 3000 now seems to feel the same as 5th gear at 4000 rpm before the mod.
The effect is that the car feels less ponderous. The enhanced agility makes it feel like a fog has been lifted from the car's behavior. It is now very quick. In fact I am sitting here at work missing it already. LOL.
As far as torque/power, above 3000, it does pull like a freight train. I would like to drive the car more, but the EVOMSit is so far passing in a spectacular fashion.

BTW, this thread is a simple question regarding idle noise for all of us to learn; I appreciate your reply but please do not post rumours, and please do not turn it into a flash war! I picked EVOMSit because of the great reputation, and because I've waited and waited and waited since its announcement around the end of 2008, for a negative report, any negative report, and to my amazement, I've seen none. That said, I think all companies are good, so no need for bashing please!
Hello Can,

I am glad that the EVOMSit software upgrade has met and exceeded your expectations. We have more time invested into perfecting that software than I care to remember. My poor 997TT had over 1100 dyno pulls on it when we were perfecting it and its satisfied customers like you that make it all worth while . Let me know if you would like the idle speed lowered to stock and I will be glad to take care of that for you. Call or email me anytime if you have any other questions. Take care

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
We have over 20 of the best companies representing and installing our software throughout the world. I thgink if we were having all of these "issues" that YOU claim, I would have 20 + dealers beating down my door with complaints.
Roger that and honestly with the amount of flashes we've been doing, whether it be Stage I-IV 997TT, DFI cars or GT3s the results have always been fantastic (as has the support). Over the years we've dabbled with different software and I can't honestly remember there ever being one this robust/solid. Long may it continue

Old 06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I for one, am a proponent for EVOMSit. Great company led by a great guy, Todd. Customer service is second to none. I have had no issues with the ECU what so ever. NO CELS either.

When I asked Todd some questions regarding my dyno charts, he was more than willing to help. As a matter of fact, he was taking notes during our conversation and reprogrammed a different flash that would suit me better. Now that is customer service and goes beyond the one flash fits all approach that some other tuners use. Just my opinion, but EVOMS delivers a great product and backs it with world class customer service!

Can,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the flash. You are one of the most meticulous guys I know and I know your decision making process was an extensive one. You are 100% correct on the fact that you haven't seen a bad post about the EVOMSit flash anywhere. I haven't either. The idle issue is something that Todd could adjust for you very easily I'm sure. Enjoy the new beast!

I'm sure you will be looking into the EVOMS headers and DV's soon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Pls: Questions fo those with modded ECU.