997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Could someone explain Ruf pricing ? 650hp Mod=$119k ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
No, I don't. No files for a 997TT with only those mods.

What exactly are you trying to compare it to? I thought the point was to compare a US tuned 997TT to a RT-12 motor that costs $120k?
I'm just trying to prove or disprove Antonis' previous remark:

Originally Posted by milou
I believe its totally overpriced. If you do an ECU-exhaust mod from any tuner, American or European you will pretty much get same results. So again any kit from any tuner with modified VTGs will be at the same league.
The only person who has an exhaust + ECU run is eclou, but he was using a 50/50 race/pump mix.

Last edited by bbywu; 06-05-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:56 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I believe that ECU tuning is pretty much the same for all tuners. I mean the difference of power between two cars with ECU-filter (American-European) might be the same difference between two stock cars.

When other parts get involved (Exhaust,headers,turbos,I/Cs) things are totally different, and in this case most US tuners 700kits are faster than RUF (RT12)

Nothing personal with RUF, just what i have read in this forum and others

Old 06-06-2009, 06:27 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Ruf is very expensive, no argument there. But you need to compare apples with apples. The Ruf 650 conversion is an a complete 3.8L engine change not an ecu/exhaust package. Most other tuners don't even crack the engine case on their high HP tunes, instead relying on the stock bottom end to handle the added stress. Something to consider.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 PM
harkerdude is infamous around these partsharkerdude is infamous around these parts
I think it's simple. Comparing Ruf to any other cheaper but effective tuners is just like comparing Porsche turbo to GTRs. It will get you there or perhaps faster but you won't get the badge and pedigree.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:16 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Ruf is one of the few tuners that are actually worth the coin. Esp resale, a Ruf conversion will hold it's value, a typical tuner's won't.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Ruf is one of the few tuners that are actually worth the coin. Esp resale, a Ruf conversion will hold it's value, a typical tuner's won't.
Maybe to a certain extent, but if one pays 120K for a new motor on top of the 150K for the car, how much of that do you think you would get on resale?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:50 PM
ActionJaxon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
lol @ people that buy car's and care about resale...These are the people that garage their cars and don't enjoy them. What a waste..not really a automotive enthusiast..more of a money enthusiast

Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Before I dip my finger in this modification muck I'd like to say that if saving money was a concern I would get bus pass or walk.

That said whatever a car owner does to make his car special is up to him . All of these tuners have placed their best foot forward to make products which improve a stock Turbo . One can split hairs over engine size or he can enjoy his car .

No matter how fast .. there will always be faster or newer or more thrilling .

I enjoy what's in my plate and that's what matters for me . If Bobby or anyone else is happy with his car and content with whatever it cost .. I would wish him well .

Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Ruf are expensive, but provide OEM quality.

My 590 conversion on my GT2 did 10,000 miles and never once had any issues, not one dash-light ever. That included dozens of trackdays, many at the 'ring and it won the VMax event in the UK on a 2 mile runway many times, during the course of which it ran 0-195mph+ about 200 times over the many days. On one day I did 5 back-to-back runs without stopping, all at 200mph (GPS) or better. This involves full-throttle for 1.5 miles, reaching 200mph then standing on the brakes, as there is about 0.5 miles to stop, driving back to the start around a twisty 2 mile track-course, then doing it again and again.

Ruf's higher power conversions are engineered for this kind of reliability, hence the spec and the price.

If you're not gonna use the car that hard or demand that level of reliability, then I'd guess a cheaper alternative makes more sense, particularly in the US, where the cars just don't generally get to pull the same sustained high-load speeds as in Germany (like running a 100 mile journey at an average of 150mph!).

Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 AM
jahnke has a spectacular aura aboutjahnke has a spectacular aura aboutjahnke has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by porschenaround
Well, okay, but even the 600hp kit is $44k. Are people really buying into this ? Its just uncomprehending, if i handed a 07 997tt and $40k to one of our quality race sponsors here, i would have one amazing complete package system with interior safety to exterior, from brakes to engine, and more ...
I agree, ruf seems too expensive for what you get back. I'd rather spend $25K at SharkWerks to get 700HP, than $120K to get 650HP from ruf. The $95K in savings could be applied to other pretty nice cars.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I think the sweet spot at Ruf is the 550 conversion, at $16950 it's pricey but not out of line. Plus you get the Ruf pedigree and reliability. Resale value too, but I don't plan on selling mine, compared to minus value from some other tuners.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I actually like Ruf. I think they make some wonderful cars. I simply think they're severely overpriced at the high HP levels.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:57 PM
hugo is infamous around these partshugo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think there are any Ruf 600s in the US...most of us have gone with the 550. Even when talking to the guys down in Dallas, they will tell you the 600 kit is very steep. And performance numbers show the 550 really keeps up with the 600.

I agree with you...the price is staggering for simply upgraded VTGs, exhaust, ECU, and clutch.
the 650 does not use vtg's (see turbos exchange)
i guess it worth it to some people...btw haven't seen a "650" engine with less than 710+ to come out of Ruf lately

Old 06-07-2009, 01:06 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hugo
the 650 does not use vtg's (see turbos exchange)
i guess it worth it to some people...btw haven't seen a "650" engine with less than 710+ to come out of Ruf lately
I was referring to the 600 package with my statement about VTGs, ECU, exhaust, and clutch.

I agree with you...the 650 build has significantly greater than 650 hp...but if you are going to purchase the engine swap for $119 + the cost of a 997TT (say $140-150), I think most would be better off just buying the RT12, having the complete car with a Ruf VIN number.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 PM
AceRothstein415 is infamous around these parts
I respect RUF and what they put out...... But imo, I think that if I dropped off a 997TT at Sharkwerks PLUS $120k, I really could not imagine what would come out of there..........and if any issues ever did pop up with the car after the build, I am sure they would take care of them accordingly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Could someone explain Ruf pricing ? 650hp Mod=$119k ?