997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

WTB 997TT Coilovers, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jahnke
I thought about Motons as well but figured that they were out of my budget. .
Hi jahnke,

You are welcome. As Vivid Racing and Got Boost pointed out, from your parameters, even if the Moton fits within your budget, I still wouldn't get it. Suspension is all about trade-offs. You simply can't have everything. The Moton is a proven and extremely high rated coilover for the tract or weekend cars, it is NOT the "best" for a daily driver, for a "not-so-aggressive" driver, nor for someone who is concerned that Bilstein might be on the stiff side.

Last edited by cannga; 06-22-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Looking at your OP again, I might suggest springs. Either Techart or H&R will give you what you are looking for, the H&R will be a little lower than the Techart. I may be wrong but the Bilsteins might be too stiff. The Bilstein feels like an old M030 suspension to me, which is a good thing, but everybody is different.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM
jahnke has a spectacular aura aboutjahnke has a spectacular aura aboutjahnke has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Looking at your OP again, I might suggest springs. Either Techart or H&R will give you what you are looking for, the H&R will be a little lower than the Techart. I may be wrong but the Bilsteins might be too stiff. The Bilstein feels like an old M030 suspension to me, which is a good thing, but everybody is different.
I have H&R springs in my M6. I would probably never go the springs route again. When I purchased the M6 I loved it. Then after 2000 miles I put in the springs and it dramatically changed the ride (and not for the better). I always wished I had not done the springs in my M6.

What I am looking for are some coilovers that perform similar to the Mugen NZ Coilovers I had in my S2000. Its my only point of reference. Ride quality improves but the car stays planted in the corners. If I do not like the Bilsteins I may just pop for the Moton Sport Clubs. I am 100% sure they are overkill but then I would get what I want, good ride & good street performance. I think the ride with the Motons will be better than stock (with the right springs).

Thanks everyone for your inputs. It is helping me decide.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I have H&R springs in my M6. I would probably never go the springs route again. When I purchased the M6 I loved it. Then after 2000 miles I put in the springs and it dramatically changed the ride (and not for the better). I always wished I had not done the springs in my M6.

What I am looking for are some coilovers that perform similar to the Mugen NZ Coilovers I had in my S2000. Its my only point of reference. Ride quality improves but the car stays planted in the corners. If I do not like the Bilsteins I may just pop for the Moton Sport Clubs. I am 100% sure they are overkill but then I would get what I want, good ride & good street performance. I think the ride with the Motons will be better than stock (with the right springs).

Thanks everyone for your inputs. It is helping me decide.

I can tell you from my experience, that ride quality will definately suffer from going with the higher end racing type coils. I have JRZ's in my car with other suspension mods. It handles like it's on rails and I absolutely love it. The car rotates well and an understeer is almost non-exsistent. The ride however, is really harsh. I did go with a softer spring setup 550lb rear and 450 lbs front in hopes of softening the ride a bit. It's still very very very stiff because you have to make up that softness with your damper settings for the sake of better handling. Keep in mind that you can't have great handling and great ride quality at the same time. Thank goodness it's not my daily driver. Just keep that in mind.

Once you go with a fully adjustable setup, you need a very good tuner to set it up right. Getting the right compression/rebound/alignment/corner balance setup is not for the average shop. Another reason why a preset system might be a good choice (if you dont' track that is).

I agree with you on the springs. I have noticed in my experience with my current car and my other cars that lower springs alone doesn't really improve much IMO. Better handling is questionable and ride is more bouncy than what I am comfortable with.

However, there are numerous members on this board that really enjoy their GMG or Champion setup which consists of springs, drop links, and sway bars. I guess it's all based on preference. Everyone is looking for something different. There is no one perfet setup. Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
cannga - Thanks for the excellent write ups! I did read your reviews and I appreciate the fact that you were thorough and did focus on some negatives(not all positives). That gives me realistic expectations. I will ride with bbywu and let you know my impressions of the ride quality.

KA 997TT - I thought about Motons as well but figured that they were out of my budget. Did you get your Sport Clubs for $4K from VIVID Racing? My local dealer was much higher, especially after I added springs.
I forgot about the Camber Plates, Springs and additional items, SORRY!!!! they would be a great add-on, would not need to change them out for a long time... but PSS10's are a great deal. I know Cannga loves them on his TT

Old 06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Hey Charlie...I'm back in town...drop me a PM...I'm a little busy during the week, but I'm sure we can hook up this weekend.