997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cell light solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Porsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the rough
Cell light solution

Here is the thing I need to clarify. If I am not mistaken exhausts with 100 or 200 cell cats have to be software tuned so they are less sensitive and will not cause a cell but still have all the safety features. However what is the solution with an exhaust such as Fvd race exhaust that does not have catalitic converters. Can it also be tuned to be less sensitive or does it need to be completely turned off. I have been told that the readings will have to be turned completely off. Is this true? I ask because if the process is just turning the reading off I will just have my local tuner switch it off instead of sending my ecu outside the country to get it tuned.

Thanks all.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
My 200 cel Cargraphic needed no software fix.
No cats will need it 'fooled' completely

Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
To turn it off completely means the car will be only allowed on the track. Driving on normal streets means breaking federal law, and can become extreme expensive. Besides fines the car can be taken....

Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TTer
To turn it off completely means the car will be only allowed on the track. Driving on normal streets means breaking federal law, and can become extreme expensive. Besides fines the car can be taken....
Ummm, he's in Dubai...

Last edited by bbywu; 06-25-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 PM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 996TTer
I remember back when the 5.0 mustangs were out everybody took their cats off... No one I knew ever got fined... Maybe now it's very possible.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Porsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the rough
Guyz I am not worried about emissions and stuff. It is not strict over here at all. I just wanted to know if the method of tuning the exhaust without cats is just switching it off. If this is the case I can do it in Dubai however if it is more complex than that and is actually reducing the sensitivity but keeping the safety features my shop tuner may not have the skills to do this and may require my ecu to be tuned overseas. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
I used O2 sensor bungs to disable the CEL...Not sure if ecu tuning will help but I heard they can not completely disable the o2 waring,you still need the bungs..

Old 06-26-2009, 05:10 AM
So you mean all you did was use the o2 sensor bungs to disable the cell? Sorry but do you mean o2 sensor extendors or simulaters? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:07 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
They are same thing? Worked very well with me..Buy the longer one.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by meaker
I remember back when the 5.0 mustangs were out everybody took their cats off... No one I knew ever got fined... Maybe now it's very possible.
I ran without cats on my STi and Z06 for years and got pulled over several times, never got into trouble for it. The smell was obvious but they never did anything. But I've heard about cops in other states checking underneath the car with a mirror for cats.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
in CA you will get caught and the fine is expensive. I have seen roadside sniffer systems and road check points. The turbo is a relatively clean car, keep it that way.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM
wassup61 is infamous around these partswassup61 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
I ran without cats on my STi and Z06 for years and got pulled over several times, never got into trouble for it. The smell was obvious but they never did anything. But I've heard about cops in other states checking underneath the car with a mirror for cats.
They must be EPA certified in the USSA<-- not a typo for the current administration

IF an officer inspects your vehicle for EPA compliance without a certification, they have no jurisdiction, and thus their inspection will not hold up in court.

Jeff

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
There are here several reports with 200cpsi cats that turn off the light only with the bungs extendors. But i think that it won't solve for a catless system because i have it with 100cpsi cats and sometimes the light gets on, but and after awhile it turns off. I realized the light only appears when i drive at lower rpm in higher gears for long periods (turbos off) and turns off when i drive it hard. I guess that is the car telling: I WANT WOT...

Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Guyz thanks for all the help. However I am still confused. Can maybe one of the board sponsors chime in on how the process works. I just want to switch off the cell however I want to know if this is safe. Is there another way to switch of the cell on a catless exhaust or is the only solution to completely switch it off. Hope that clarifies my question.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gmoney
in CA you will get caught and the fine is expensive. I have seen roadside sniffer systems and road check points. The turbo is a relatively clean car, keep it that way.
Well, you guys are in your own little country over there with your own emission requirements. Are they still crushing cars seized from street racing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cell light solution