997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Insurance for modifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Cosmonaut is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SleepTight
You're driving a Porsche and you have Allstate insurance? Might I suggest you go with another insurance carrier? Any other carrier.
What's wrong with allstate? They gave me a killer rate and amazing coverage, it may also have something to do with me having 3 cars insured with them

Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
SleepTight is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blastr17
Who told you this?
Paragon, which is the underwriter for all autoclub wheel and tire policies.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut
What's wrong with allstate? They gave me a killer rate and amazing coverage, it may also have something to do with me having 3 cars insured with them
Have you ever made a claim? Have you ever needed defense and indemnity?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
blastr17 is infamous around these parts
You definitly can get coverage for your aftermarket modifications including wheels through any regular company in NY. The problem lies in that one wheel in most cases is not higher then your deductable. Now if each wheel is $1000 or more and your deduc. is $500 you could claim it.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Cosmonaut is infamous around these parts
Have you ever made a claim? Have you ever needed defense and indemnity?
Nothing recently, but in the past I had made a claim on my 6 series and everything went well, luckily no other parties were involved in the accident. Why, did you have a bad experience with allstate?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by blastr17
You definitly can get coverage for your aftermarket modifications including wheels through any regular company in NY. The problem lies in that one wheel in most cases is not higher then your deductable. Now if each wheel is $1000 or more and your deduc. is $500 you could claim it.
Are you referring to general comprehensive coverage or supplemental wheel and tire coverage? If you know somebody who offers either, please PM me as I will pick up that coverage tomorrow.

My auto insurance is GEICO and it has a specific exclusion for tires and wheels due to road hazard. Paragon would not even underwrite a supplemental policy for wheels and tires in New York.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Nothing recently, but in the past I had made a claim on my 6 series and everything went well, luckily no other parties were involved in the accident. Why, did you have a bad experience with allstate?
I'm glad to hear you had a good claim experience with Allstate, but Allstate's reputation in the industry is terrible, particularly when it comes to indemnity and defense of claims. Somebody on this thread previously mentioned Fireman's Fund and Chubb and those companies are indeed the gold standard in the United States for insurance with (unfortunately) premium prices to match.

At the very least, if you have your primary auto insurance with a discount carrier you should strongly consider purchasing an umbrella (excess) policy from a top tier insurer.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:45 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
I have statefarm and claimed a aftermarket wheel.. They covered it. Now it's been several years so maybe things have changed.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Woah this is news for me, I have allstate... are you sure they don't cover rims? What if my wheels get stolen or I crash them to the point of no return? I was under the impression that they cover anything and everything (stock)
I was thinking as long as the damage/ need for a new part is from an accident of some sort then I would be covered?
I am going to call allstate and see whats the deal, it's actually a pretty big deal for me - curbs love me for some reason, every car I owned eventually got curbed.
I was only speaking about aftermarket.
But I would never submit a claim for stock wheels to Allstate. For one, numerous claims will force them to raise your premiums, and these days Allstate and Statefarm are looking to cancel as many policy's as they can.
For stock rims, get the 3rd party wheel and tire policy. At 500+ per rear tire and 1k per stock rim, the policy pays for itself with one nail. I have never had a wheel damaged past the point of repair. This includes severe bends from our terrible roads.
Your dealer will walk you through how to submit claims You'll have to read between the lines here, but you are buying this policy for tires
I was thinking it would be an easy business model to offer aftermarket rim coverage, surprised no one has done this yet.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
blastr17 is infamous around these parts
Are you referring to general comprehensive coverage or supplemental wheel and tire coverage? If you know somebody who offers either, please PM me as I will pick up that coverage tomorrow.

My auto insurance is GEICO and it has a specific exclusion for tires and wheels due to road hazard. Paragon would not even underwrite a supplemental policy for wheels and tires in New York.

I can get your wheels covered no problem with an additional equipment rider for a set amount of $ or you can do a stated value policy for your entire car which would cover the wheels as well. Tires are not covered for road hazzards, buy from tirerack and buy their coverage.

Geico sucks