997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Awesome day at AWE Tuning!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:11 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome day at AWE Tuning!

Good evening folks.

I spent about 1/2 day with AWE Tuning -- thank you Mike and team for all of your hospitality.

Ostensibly I was there to dyno my AWE-tuned 2009 Porsche 997 Twin Turbo (the 650 hp package). Well, wow. I pulled 574 hp and 549 ft-lb of torque at the wheels. With a 17% correction factor on the hp, I'm running about 671 hp at the crank.

I was also duly impressed with their 10,000 sq. ft. facility including much of that space dedicated to manufacturing. I met many of their technicians, engineers and designers and they were all very cordial, competent, and invigorated to be working at AWE. It's always great for me to see people loving what they do.

Here are some YouTube vids of my dyno pulls and setup:

Dyno Pull: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkx9lRfXqw
Dyno Setup 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-70y6NP2lxo
Dyno Setup 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXAGhi1DtiQ

I've also attached a PDF of my dyno sheet.

I truly can't be happier with AWE's product, service, and after sales support. They even went over my entire 650 intall (that my dealer had done) and checked to make sure everything was set properly.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Taylor 997 Turbo.pdf (65.7 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by taylorcoleman; 06-30-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
That's pretty cool! So does AWE include this day of fun for free with their 650 package??

Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raclaims
That's pretty cool! So does AWE include this day of fun for free with their 650 package??
LOL. There are no freebies in this hobby

But I will say that for the price I paid, I got a tremendous value. They spent hours with the dyno--getting it just right and making sure my car was properly setup for safety & having a reliable read. They also probably put in more time in inspecting/tightening up my car on the lift than what I paid.

So it was money very well spent IMO.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Ostensibly I was there to dyno my AWE-tuned 2009 Porsche 997 Twin Turbo (the 650 hp package). Well, wow. I pulled 574 hp and 549 ft-lb of torque at the wheels. With a 17% correction factor on the hp, I'm running about 671 hp at the crank.
Do you have a pre-mod dyno run? AWE's baseline for a stock 997TT was 440 hp a while ago, which seems a touch high.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Do you have a pre-mod dyno run? AWE's baseline for a stock 997TT was 440 hp a while ago, which seems a touch high.
Agreed, having a pre/post analysis is really the right way to go. Since I did these mods incrementally, alas, no pre/post.

Too true that many factors can affect the dyno. So my corrected 670hp crank could still be off by some margin. However, it's sufficient for me to corroborate my butt dyno with a real dyno, and I believe that AWE delivered upon their 650 package promise.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Agreed, having a pre/post analysis is really the right way to go. Since I did these mods incrementally, alas, no pre/post.

Too true that many factors can affect the dyno. So my corrected 670hp crank could still be off by some margin. However, it's sufficient for me to corroborate my butt dyno with a real dyno, and I believe that AWE delivered upon their 650 package promise.
AWE does their homework, and I suspect you'll be really happy.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:07 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I think it was tpc who quoted a stock tt putting down 440hp. A stock tt will lay down about 395hp at the wheels on a dynodynamics dyno.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think it was tpc who quoted a stock tt putting down 440hp. A stock tt will lay down about 395hp at the wheels on a dynodynamics dyno.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I stand corrected, no way is 440 hp accurate, that's almost no drivetrain loss on an awd car.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I stand corrected, no way is 440 hp accurate, that's almost no drivetrain loss on an awd car.
I was hoping that taylorcoleman had a pre-mod dyno so we could see HP gained...it's a little hard to interpret without one. I probably shouldn't have posted AWE's stock dyno...it was from months ago...from a different day, different temp, different conditions, but it's interesting that both TPC and AWE got fairly high max HP ratings for stock 997TTs on different dynos......TPC runs a DynoJet, AWE runs a Mustang.

Last edited by bbywu; 06-30-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Mine put down 480 at the wheels at F-L, the same day, 20 minutes before, a bone stock 08 tt put down 394hp. That's as close I got to a pre/post dyno.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
Great numbers, its nice to see all the money spent pay off. Plus, plus to AWE

Old 07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
taylorcoleman,

Thank you for stopping out. We are glad you were able to check out our facility.

I am more then pleased with the results. Have fun with the car and let me know if you need anything further.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Josh@TPCRACING
Great to hear your car turned out great! These tuners are making some crazy power these days!!!!

Just wanted to chime in on this issue. The reason these 997Turbos put down 440whp is because of the cars layout. There are a few reasons why these cars don't suffer from dramatic losses in power. First, as a rear engined car, there is no driveshaft to transmit power through. Second, Porsche engineers aren't new to this layout. They've been using and perfecting the same designs for decades. Third, during normal driving, the power is routed almost 100% to the rear wheels which means that there is very little loss in power due to trying to turn the front wheels.
So to paraphrase, your saying that the total losses is ~8%?...and driveline losses maintain 92% efficiency based on a wheel dyno of 440 and a crank hp of 480?

Originally Posted by Josh@TPCRACING
We are not the only shop who advertise the baseline dyno at 440whp. I don't talk about other shops in these forums, however if you PM me I will point you in the right direction to find the data we used. The competeing company uses a Mustang Dyno. There are many on these forums who don't seem to trust Dynojets. However, it is necessary to point out that Dynojets are the ONLY dyno OFFICIALLY licensed by NASCAR. Dynojets are the only system used by NASCAR to verify a car's legality. These units are very expensive to purchase and install which is why most shops use the less expensive, more compact units. That is not to say that other dynos are not accurate. There are many options in dynos these days; this was the option that has worked best for us for many years including our 2004 Rolex Grand Am Championship and our 2006 24 Hours at Daytona victory.
I'm not trying to create any controversy here...just trying to figure out what there is such variability in people's baseline runs...from 380 upwards to 440.

Last edited by bbywu; 07-02-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:57 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I believe the car should be dynoed in the same configuration that you plan to drive it in. If you RW dyno a car that you are going use as AWD you are going to give yourself more hp to the wheel than you really will have once you return the car to AWD. Conversely if you dyno AWD then convert car to RWD you are now underestimating your WHP due to differing drivetrain losses. I know Porsche is really good at minimizing DT losses but RWD still looses less than AWD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Awesome day at AWE Tuning!