997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Painting or Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor
RSSsales is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Vic55
I sound like a broken record but Stuttgart Performance rocks with their suite of services. They powdercoated my calipers and I got not only a durable product but they also made the calipers look excellent; something powdercoating sometimes lacks (visual quality). For wheels and calipers I would recommend PC from a quality place like SP.

Please forgive me as they did my GT-R. The 997TT was already done at the factory.

Thanks for the kind words Vic. The GTR looks amazing!

Ben@RSS

Old 07-10-2009, 12:57 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Over 10k miles on my painted Champions, no scratches or chips either.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Ben- Can you powdercoat glossy black as well? Or just matte black?

Old 12-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Russellnyc is infamous around these parts
After wearing and loving the look of my black winter shoes, I want to take the plunge and powder coat my 19" turbo stock wheels. Has anyone on the east coast used prodigy in Mamaroneck?

http://prodigycoatings.com/

Last edited by bbywu; 12-25-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: removed embedded link to commercial non sponsor
Old 12-25-2009, 07:33 PM
7Speed is infamous around these parts
Powder Coated, for sure will be better

Old 12-25-2009, 08:34 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RSSsales

Ben, is that factory glass in the front side windows or Lexan like the rear windows.

I can't imagine how much drag would be alleviated by being able to keep your windows up on the track.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:33 AM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
Powdercoating for sure. Check out my thread on a set OZ Superleggera's I redone

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-finished.html

Mike

Old 12-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
...is that factory glass in the front side windows or Lexan like the rear windows.

I can't imagine how much drag would be alleviated by being able to keep your windows up on the track.
Hi HeavyChevy, the front passenger & driverside windows are still factory glass. Only the rear windscreen and the rear vented side windows are Lexan...

Attached Images  

Last edited by Sales@RSS; 12-26-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: pics
Old 12-26-2009, 10:56 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RSSbryan
Hi HeavyChevy, the front passenger & driverside windows are still factory glass. Only the rear windscreen and the rear vented side windows are Lexan...
Any idea of the weight differences?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Any idea of the weight differences?
I'm in the process of swapping out some factory glass to Lexan now on a different car, I'll weigh them and post up shortly.... take care

Old 12-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Great, TIA!

Old 12-26-2009, 11:50 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RSSsales
The RSS Powder Coating Process includes stripping of the original finish down to the bare aluminum and sandblasting the wheel surface to smooth out imperfections before applying powder coat.
Don't you potentially jeopardize the structural integrity of forged aluminum wheels by subjecting them to sand-blasting?

Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Don't you potentially jeopardize the structural integrity of forged aluminum wheels by subjecting them to sand-blasting?
Not at all. When you're sand-blasting (or media-blasting) the wheels, the key is to use a material that will only strip the existing finish and not any of the structure of the wheels.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:22 PM
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
I have painted white centers on my 360 forged wheels and there is not one chip or scratch on them. I was told that powder coating has a rougher surface vs, the smoother paint finish. I also was told that the color match for white would not be exact if that method is used. Anyhow, I am very happy with the durability of my painted wheels they just require some TLC and need cleaned constantly, as long as no abrasive chemicals or brushes are used you will be fine. So I would say powder coating is stronger and more durable but visually the painted wheels looks more appealing to the eye.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:18 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
Not at all. When you're sand-blasting (or media-blasting) the wheels, the key is to use a material that will only strip the existing finish and not any of the structure of the wheels.
Thanks. I have no doubt certain media (i.e.: walnut shells) is probably fine but I would still be concerned about sand (silica) on forged aluminum. I was told by one very reputable sponsor (they sell, but do not manufacture, wheels) that I should not have my Champion RS171's sand-blasted. I am just trying to sort out the truth and keep anyone from ruining an expensive set of wheels. It would be great to hear from Champion, HRE, or one of the other forged wheel manufacturers/sponsors regarding their thoughts on stripping their wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painting or Powder Coating