997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Painting or Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
2009TurboCarera is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb Painting or Powder Coating

I am trying to decide whether to have my the rims on my 09 turbo cab painted or powder coated? I have heard pro and cons on both but I would like to get the truth? Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
I had both done to my Sti's BBS wheels. Do a powdercoat for sure BUT, see if the coater can cook them at a lower temp for longer rather than the normal high temp for a short time.

The painting will chip off when you put tires on.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 PM
spaf is infamous around these parts
Powdercoating should be more durable... I would expect any experienced powdercoater to know how to do rims properly.

Not that close to you, but I've used Andrews Powder Coating in Chatsworth with great success.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor
RSSsales is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2009TurboCarera
I am trying to decide whether to have my the rims on my 09 turbo cab painted or powder coated? I have heard pro and cons on both but I would like to get the truth? Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi 2009TurboCarera,

Here at RSS/ Stuttgart Performance we provide in-house powder coating services. We would highly suggest that you have your wheels powder coated rather than painting your wheels. Powder coating will make your wheels much more durable, attractive and extremely scratch-resistant compared to a repainted wheel.

The RSS Powder Coating Process includes stripping of the original finish down to the bare aluminum and sandblasting the wheel surface to smooth out imperfections before applying powder coat.

Lastly the wheels go into the oven and are cured at a low temperature not exceeding 350 degrees to ensure that the aluminum properties of the wheel are not adversely affected.

If you are interested in getting your wheels powder coated, please give me a call at 714-545-1046 or PM me and I will be more than happy to give you a quote and answer any additional questions.

Here are a few examples of some wheels we have powder coated

Project Cayenne GTS

Project Angry Pumpkin

Ben@RSS

Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
nice work

Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
What is your stock finish? I would suggest powder coating as well...

Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RSSBEN
Hi 2009TurboCarera,

Here at RSS/ Stuttgart Performance we provide in-house powder coating services. We would highly suggest that you have your wheels powder coated rather than painting your wheels. Powder coating will make your wheels much more durable, attractive and extremely scratch-resistant compared to a repainted wheel.

The RSS Powder Coating Process includes stripping of the original finish down to the bare aluminum and sandblasting the wheel surface to smooth out imperfections before applying powder coat.

Lastly the wheels go into the oven and are cured at a low temperature not exceeding 350 degrees to ensure that the aluminum properties of the wheel are not adversely affected.

If you are interested in getting your wheels powder coated, please give me a call at 714-545-1046 or PM me and I will be more than happy to give you a quote and answer any additional questions.

Here are a few examples of some wheels we have powder coated

Project Cayenne GTS

Project Angry Pumpkin

Ben@RSS
beautiful! are you able to powder coat in "guards red". please PM if you can powder coat OEM "turbo" wheels and price quote for the set (X4). TIA

Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Paint. I have a custom set done by Champion and they have proven to be very durable after nearly a year and lots of track time. FWIW Champion does not recommend powdercoating as it can damage the wheels if done incorrectly. So if you do go with the powdercoat make double dog sure the shop knows what they are doing.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Former Vendor
RSSsales is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997tt RS 2.7
beautiful! are you able to powder coat in "guards red". please PM if you can powder coat OEM "turbo" wheels and price quote for the set (X4). TIA
Thanks 997tt RS 2.7,

Yes we can powder coat your Turbo wheels in "Guards Red".
PM Sent

Thank You
Ben@RSS

Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 AM
f1sprint is infamous around these parts
Powder coating for sure

Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I concur. Powdercoat provides a much more durable finish. We powdercoat our wheels almost exclusively.

The only time painting makes sense is if you absolutely must color match the wheel to a color that's not readily available in powder. But if that's the case, prepare to deal with chips and scratches.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Thank you very much for the input.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
I sound like a broken record but Stuttgart Performance rocks with their suite of services. They powdercoated my calipers and I got not only a durable product but they also made the calipers look excellent; something powdercoating sometimes lacks (visual quality). For wheels and calipers I would recommend PC from a quality place like SP.

Please forgive me as they did my GT-R. The 997TT was already done at the factory.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you to all I am convinced that powder coating is the way to go. I have contacted Ben at RSS and as soon as I get my car back from the dealer I will take it to RSS. Thanks again.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 AM
PorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to behold
The wheels on my 997S are powder coated and not a scratch or chip on them with about 10K miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painting or Powder Coating