997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo Cab and AWE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
TODO,
Drone would be a big concern in the CAB as every exhaust sound is amplified inside the cabin of a CAB as there really isn't much sound insulation between the cabin and the engine bay. I found most exhaust would drone too much with CABS. I have had some pretty loud exhausts but even the quiet Milltek w/ an aggressive tune had too much drone, especially at idle (more drone than my Ford GT w/ straight pipes and Viper ACR with headers and HFC). The drone didn't go away until I had EVOMS changed the idle characteristic of the tune (thank you Todd at EVOMS). I didn't mind the loud sound but it was the vibration that bothered me when it got to my chest and it felt like my eardrums were vibrating. Now if you were to also get a tune, then I'd suggest getting a tune first and see if it changes the sound before doing the exhaust (I didn't say don't do the exhaust, just do the tune first).

Old 07-12-2009, 04:55 AM
todo is just really nicetodo is just really nicetodo is just really nicetodo is just really nice
Bruce,
Thanks....this is my daily driver so I will be taking it to work etc... never track.
I do not want it to be loud and obnoxious. . . for the same reason I went with a understated color.
Best is not to rush into this mod and listen to a real install before taking the jump.
Ash

Old 07-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Cab sounds

Bruce is right. From my M3 Cab experience one must be very sure about what's right for them with a cab. My tuner was great and recommended Supersprint which was perfect for my M3 cab (not sure if Supersprint makes a system for the 997s yet - and they are pricey). My AWE works for me with my 997 Coupe - I never tire of listening to it (and it has gotten a bit deeper and louder after 20K miles). But, when I'm on one of my longer road trips your ears tend to be ringing a bit after a full day of driving. There is one reputable manufacturer who made an exhaust for our cars that was a few notches down in sound levels but still reduced back pressure and added a deeper rumble. If I can recall the name I will let you know? If you have a good tuner they should be able to help with this. I listened to a few at my tuners and AWE was in the middle of what's available.
As noted in other posts, I use my 997 for my daily driver (including all winter in frozen Alberta), road trips (currently in SoCal) and some track events - the 997s can do it ALL which makes it a VERY rare super car. Now I'm going nuts trying to remember that exhaust make.

The neighbor issue can be an issue. However, if you keep the RPM down (2000) in the garage most appreciate you're doing your best to respect their privacy. A few "sorry about the noise" comments also go a long way - it's more about respect than the sound. And the few who don't like it - well you'll find them around regardless of what you do. If you do rev it up you may find a few car alarms going off which won't make you any friends. I'm glad to see another Porsche driver (you) who is concerned about others as there is often a negative stereotype about us.
Enjoy!
K.

Last edited by Kafka997; 07-12-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Ash,
Welcome to the club! I just put a Gen 2 AWE system on my coupe. I live south of Sugarland and I am also part of the LSR PCA concours committee and hope to see you out at some of our events.(lsrpca.org) Let me know if you would like to hear the exhaust.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Bobbywhite is infamous around these parts
awesome car

Old 07-12-2009, 12:29 PM
todo is just really nicetodo is just really nicetodo is just really nicetodo is just really nice
Mav997,
very kind of you to invite me the LSR PCA concoursI will surely try to make it. And what a great opportunity to see/hear the AWE and other exhausts before I take the plunge.
Bobby: Thanks for the compliments..

Old 07-13-2009, 05:47 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Todo I live about 1 mile from you off Campbell & I-10 before Westview

Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Can you send me a PM with your e mail address? thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 AM
kcturbo is infamous around these parts
Fabspeed makes an exhaust specifically for the TT cab. I have it on mine and I think it is the perfect level of increased sound for me. Not too loud but a definite difference from the stock exhaust.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kcturbo
Fabspeed makes an exhaust specifically for the TT cab. I have it on mine and I think it is the perfect level of increased sound for me. Not too loud but a definite difference from the stock exhaust.
I had a Fabspeed on my 996TT, I changed it when they released the "quiet". The Fabspeed is great when it comes to performance, sound, but the drone even in my coupe was horrible. I hated it till I changed the car. Now on my 08 997TT cab I still have the stock-- yes I would like to reduce the back pressure but from my experience with the Fabspeed (quiet) on the coupe I think I have to skip that....

todo: you have a wonderful car there.. congrats,...be careful with your decision

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by 996TTer; 07-13-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Gentlemen:
Thanks very much for your opinions and advise.... God I love the internet.
Forums like this, what a great place to learn and take advantage of peoples experiences to make the right decision.
I appreciate everyone input. . . .. looks like The proof is in the pudding, I look forward to hearing different products and making a decision.
Ash

Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM
dblock110 is infamous around these parts
nice color

Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks ... I ended up paying more for this car than I should considering what deals u can get these days on new cars ... Because I saw a turbo last year with color and wanted this color.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Maverick 997,
I returned from my vacation.... can I see you in Houston at your convenient time and place? It will be a good opportunity to hear the AWE System and to learn about the LSR PCA Too...
Sorry I cannot send PM's as I did not make enough posts.
Thanks,
Ash

Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 AM
ECLOU,
Can I see you one of these days and check out the AWE system in your car?Thanks,
Ash

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo Cab and AWE