997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Noobie question 997 turbo tune benefit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
todo is just really nicetodo is just really nicetodo is just really nicetodo is just really nice
Noobie question 997 turbo tune benefit

I have a stock 997 Turbo Cab and plan to get it tuned with AWE or vivid or FvD to get it to higher HP.
Wondering what is the real world benefit to go through this upgrade knowing that the stock at 480 hp and 0 to 60 In 3.5 sec what real benefit I would see from such a upgrade.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:18 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
You'd feel gobs of tq, and your 30-60, 60-80, etc., times will be dramatically faster. 0-60 there is an improvement, but not the benchmark as far as I'm concerned.

Find a tuner that fits your goals and style. Take you time, ask many questions. Even better, drive one or more of the tuned cars. GL.

Last edited by taylorcoleman; 07-19-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:19 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
It's night and day...the car is so much more enjoyable after a tune. If feels lighter, more responsive and exactly what you would have expected when you bought a world class sports car.

I'm curious though...if you are not aware of the benefits of a tune...how did you decide on AWE/Vivid/FVD?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
on a side topic, don't forget about tuning your ride quality as well. Coilovers and sway bars will also make a huge difference in ride quality and compliments your HP/TQ increase.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The benefits are very real . Even the most basic software and exhaust produce a very noticeable change . The suspension does compliment the added tune . How far you decide to go with upgrades is a personal decision . Good luck.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 AM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The benefits are very real . Even the most basic software and exhaust produce a very noticeable change . The suspension does compliment the added tune . How far you decide to go with upgrades is a personal decision . Good luck.
how does upgrading the suspension compliment the added HP?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:49 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
how does upgrading the suspension compliment the added HP?
Even on stock Hp the suspension felt somewhat soft and squishy . It felt more like a luxury car with power . It was quiet with the stock exhaust , there was turbo lag , and something was lacking in driver /road connectivity .

With the engine tweaks alone the car did go faster but it still had this soft ride. In fact my first set of upgrades were to the engine . then the wheels and suspension were next.

With a tighter suspension , some light comp wheels and an aerokit .. it was like driving a totally different car. It now had the ability to manage the power more efficiently.

Jumping to the next level at 700 Hp and twaeking the suspension more with damptronics and sway bar again raised the bar in a combined effort to get the most out of the full package.

The car still was not complete . The Gt2 clutch upgrade gane even more ability for the driver to sense the point of engagement on a stage 4 clutch and the Brembo brakes added more efficiency to stopping the car .

Every piece added to a car can serve a function . Even something like a steering wheel or a gear shift lever can make the hands on aspects of driving that much more fullfilling.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 AM
todo is just really nicetodo is just really nicetodo is just really nicetodo is just really nice
Raclaims: I bought the car early this month. Coming from a BMW m6 cab I do not like stock exhaust noise of the 997 so i started looking for a exhaust upgrade and then i found this forum and found all the mods that can ne done.
I have not selected which exhaust tune I will go with for the for the exhaust but I have spoken to awe and fvd about this.
I do have no intentions to take the car on the track so I am not sure if the massive power will make any difference in the real world.
Luckily in Houston there are a number of world class tuners available and the largest Porsche club so in the next few weeks I will explore what suits me best and move forward.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
The power absolutely makes a big difference in the real world...especially off the line...I feel the difference even sitting in traffic. It's worth every penny.

FWIW, I went with GIAC and FVD exhaust.

Definitely see cars locally, talk to people with real experiences and drive as many cars as you can.

I enjoy the car so much more now...

Old 07-20-2009, 08:26 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Don't be too quick to change the suspension, remember every change is a compromise, what may be good on the track could be a pain on the street. The stock suspension has a very high performance envelope. I would suggest a good alignment first and go from there. If your car has less than 3000 miles Porsche will realign it for free.
I say this as a coilover user, there is no rush or need to change the suspension. Just take your time.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Great advice Doug^^

Dont forget about Protomotive and Switzer Performance Innovations for
upgraded tune, etc.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Here is a write up I did on the ECU Flash on my 997 Turbo - http://www.vividracing.com/forums/pr...ext-level.html

Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
You're in TX. You should go visit RUF

Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Yikes! Open your wallet.

If you are in TX, PM user BlackHorseTurbo as he is the TX guru for Porsche mods.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
You can check out my Ruf conversion anytime, but be forwarned it's a monster!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noobie question 997 turbo tune benefit