997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dymag stains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM
dymag turbo is infamous around these parts
Dymag stains

Any advice on getting stains out of the 1st generation Dymag Rims. I got a 997 turbo that had existing 19" 1st generation Dymags. Initially no problems but now slowly starting to mount. I have not had air leakage issues but I did have an annoying clicking sound that required the rims to be taken apart and re-tourqued, new washers...etc...

Now after getting the car detailed I have white stains everywhere. Not sure if it they are hard water stains or from the armor all. All I know is that now it looks terrible. I call Bill (LA rep for Dymag) and he suggested something called bumper black. I also called my car guy and he suggested sand blasting with clear coat afterwards.

Any feedback would help. I don't even want to start with the PTM "too hot" issue I was ahving b/c I put on 315 instead of the factory 305...I read the thread regarding this issue after I registered to 6speed....

Attached Images   

Last edited by dymag turbo; 07-21-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
I would suggest taking some good pictures and posting them in the detailing section and see what Phil and Moe can come up with.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 AM
dymag turbo is infamous around these parts
Update

So I tried the black bumper stuff...not too good. I read somewhere that vinegar might do the trick. Nothing else to lose so I tired getting a towel and using the common household item....after an hour or so elbow work...voila! Man it was a lot of work but worth it. Lesson learned: if you own Dymags don't armor all your tires unless you want a workout afterwards

Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
For what it is worth, Armor-All is not a very good product to use on tires. It sounds like it might be time to find a new detailer. I am glad you saved your wheels.

Last edited by sparkhill; 07-21-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:07 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dymag turbo
Any advice on getting stains out of the 1st generation Dymag Rims. I got a 997 turbo that had existing 19" 1st generation Dymags. Initially no problems but now slowly starting to mount. I have not had air leakage issues but I did have an annoying clicking sound that required the rims to be taken apart and re-tourqued, new washers...etc...

Now after getting the car detailed I have white stains everywhere. Not sure if it they are hard water stains or from the armor all. All I know is that now it looks terrible. I call Bill (LA rep for Dymag) and he suggested something called bumper black. I also called my car guy and he suggested sand blasting with clear coat afterwards.

Any feedback would help. I don't even want to start with the PTM "too hot" issue I was ahving b/c I put on 315 instead of the factory 305...I read the thread regarding this issue after I registered to 6speed....
It looks like your detailer used and acid based wheel cleaner to clean your wheels. Looks like your detailer caused this problem.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
How can we tell first from second generation dymag wheels?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 PM
charles is infamous around these parts
natures style magic for your carbon and alloy wheels

Use Natures Style Magic for your carbon and alloy wheels. The ONLY car cleaner that is pH neutral and can clean without damage. Anything that is 'layered' or 'bonded' or 'sealed' or 'painted' especially need very gentle (pH neutral) cleaners; and these are hard to find, because they are harder to prepare.

all the best

Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
Not sure how well it would work on carbon fiber, but P21S wheel gel is also PH balanced and you can literally spray it on and leave it on for an hour if needed to get it to work on the stain.