997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

sway bar settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
sway bar settings

just got RSS sways installed on my Cab 3 wks ago. Mid setting on both front and read. I really like how it compliments the Bilsteins. I have yet to experience the ride on either low or high(stiff) setting.

Just wanted to see what settings you all are using and your experience experimenting with the settings. What's the diff in ride quality? Thanks.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I run our Agency Power sway bars on full still rear and middle front. I prefer more oversteer on a AWD car.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:53 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Same here. I run neutral in the front and stiff in the rear.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
GMG made the call on mine, first Porsche and had zero experience setting one up.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
It is all about compromises. I think you can reach similar endpoints with a number of different settings.

Alex had a great thread on suspension geometry:
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...html#p20086380

It might be easiest to start in the middle (where you are), get a proper alignment, and then experiment with the sways since the sways are the easiest components to adjust without complex tools and equipment.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 04GT3RS
Great, but how can you recommend that without knowing more about what the car has for rates on the springs and how the car is being used. More importantly what does he feel the car doing if he even pushes it.
Bilstein B16's are a common and pretty standard setup and there really are no surprises there. I do not believe different spring rates are even optional on these coilovers anyways. Neutral front/Stiff rear or neutral front and back is pretty common with these cars.

For my setup, I really wanted to dial out some of the understeer in the car and this is the setup my shop recomended.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Kuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to beholdKuwait997 is a splendid one to behold
What settings could i use to have a very stiff ride?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Jasem - stiff for both front and rear.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
On my 996TT with PSS9's, I set the front on the second from soft, rear full soft as per my tuner's advise. But on track I found I needed to set the rear bar also to the second hole from soft. This combo gave the car the stability and flat cornering that I was looking for. It also eliminated the weight shifting I was experiencing in the rear. I have the TRG drop links.

Last edited by landjet; 07-29-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Bilstein B16's are a common and pretty standard setup and there really are no surprises there. I do not believe different spring rates are even optional on these coilovers anyways. Neutral front/Stiff rear or neutral front and back is pretty common with these cars.

For my setup, I really wanted to dial out some of the understeer in the car and this is the setup my shop recomended.
Good points. The following rambling is not for Mike of course, but for anyone new to this.

The GMG anti-roll bar (supposedly one of the stiffest in the market) was the first mod to my car's suspension; initially I used it with the idea of reducing the side to side roll of the car.
I found out 2 things:
1. With mid front/mid rear setting, the anti-roll effect is surprisingly very subtle. The car still leans and really what I noticed was just some tightening of the steering response.
2. Pro tuners use the sway bars not only for the anti-roll effect, but to dial out or in understeer or oversteer. In other words, the setting of the sway bar has to take into consideration the behavior of your car in corners as well.
3. In the case of the 997 Turbo with its tendency to understeer, in general (case by case variation always a possibility), a common recommendation is full soft front, full stiff rear. But again, this is not etched in stone.

The sway bar setting also has to take into consideration whether you are using the stock drop link with its platic bushing, or any after-market one like Tarett Engineering drop link with its all metal heim joint. An all metal after market drop link will enhance the effect of the sway bar and increases the overall stiffness.
For example my car uses medium front/medium rear setting with the stock drop links, but medium front/soft rear with the Tarett drop links.

I have tried 3 different sway bar settings on my car: rear soft, rear middle, and rear stiff. What I have found is the effect on understeer/oversteer is not easy for me to notice. It's not nearly as noticeable as, for example, increasing front negative camber. But this could be due to the fact that I am an amateur driver who doesn't take the car to high speed turns, as found at the track.
What I have also found is that the rear setting has a big effect on the ride of the car. A stiff rear setting makes my car way too stiff for a daily driver.

BTW, if you use stock drop link with after market sway bars, take a look underneath the car when you use the full stiff setting: The drop link might be bent at such an extreme angle you would be surprised the thing works at all. That's why some of us use the after-market drop links.

So as always, it's a case-by-case situation, with consideration for corner behavior, stiffness of ride, and which drop link. YMMV, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by cannga; 07-29-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
On the track, if it's big with long straights med fr/rear, shorter/more technical front full soft/rear full stiff.