997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo with teflon paint coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM
billkam is infamous around these parts
997 Turbo with teflon paint coating

I am looking of buying a used 997 Turbo that supposing has Teflon coating on the exterior paint and on the interior leather.

I have read some things (not so good!) about it but I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with that and if it is something that I have to worry about.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
teflon coating this and that is typically a way to eeek more profit out of a new car sale, personally I would not want it on my car, I prefer to use a synthetic wax and nothing more than a damp towel on the leather.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would not worry about it, it takes heat to bind teflon I understand to anything so there is probably zero teflon on your paint or leather despite it being in the product (in tiny quantities).

Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
You cannot simply 'apply' nor 'bond' teflon to these materials. It's all bogus, but does not diminish from the quality of the vehicle.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I have nano based matrix coating on mine which is supposedly lifetime and honestly I was a bit skeptical about it at first but after more than 2 years, I'm a believer. It still looks as good today as it did when I first picked her up after it was applied!

Teflon however on the other hand...I'd be skeptical for the exact reasons stated above.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
For teflon to properly "bond" to any substrate, it needs to be heated to over 400 F...you car's paint will never reach that point. A simple carnauba wax or synthetic polymer wax is all you need to protect the finish. Don't ever pay for those "paint sealants" the dealer tries to upsell.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Here are my thoughts...

I purchased the leather and paint protection (TST) for my MB C63. I knew there was no real physical protection, however, I purchased this for the warranty. For example, the leather is fully covered, even for cracks, stains of any sort, even punctures. So if my kids drive a pen through the leather, it's covered.

As for the paint, if you get a particularly nasty bird that had a Mexican feast, and decided to use your hood as a potty, if it ruins the paint or clear coat, that's covered as well. Of course I do try to keep the car parked clear away from trees and overhead wires, etc., it does happen.

With this said, you go through your dealer to file a claim to the 3rd party company. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you're more likely to get your claim approved.

But to the OP's post, no, it won't hurt anything.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Here are my thoughts...

I purchased the leather and paint protection (TST) for my MB C63. I knew there was no real physical protection, however, I purchased this for the warranty. For example, the leather is fully covered, even for cracks, stains of any sort, even punctures. So if my kids drive a pen through the leather, it's covered.

As for the paint, if you get a particularly nasty bird that had a Mexican feast, and decided to use your hood as a potty, if it ruins the paint or clear coat, that's covered as well. Of course I do try to keep the car parked clear away from trees and overhead wires, etc., it does happen.

With this said, you go through your dealer to file a claim to the 3rd party company. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you're more likely to get your claim approved.

But to the OP's post, no, it won't hurt anything.
Agreed...you're not buying the warranty for the product doing anything. But keep in mind, these guys aren't dumb. When was the last time your cars had paint damage bad enough that it needed to be painted and the warranty covered it? How often will the leather get damaged bad enough that it would need to be replaced? I'm pretty sure what's deemed "wear-and-tear" isn't covered.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:26 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Agreed...you're not buying the warranty for the product doing anything. But keep in mind, these guys aren't dumb. When was the last time your cars had paint damage bad enough that it needed to be painted and the warranty covered it? How often will the leather get damaged bad enough that it would need to be replaced? I'm pretty sure what's deemed "wear-and-tear" isn't covered.
Agreed that filing a claim and getting it approved is no easy task. That's why having a great relationship with the dealer is so important for this to actually work. There is always risk the claim will be denied.