997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche unveils facelifted 2010 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
Look the numbers are still better, is that not what everyone wants... I like it! Go VW....

Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Why would they prefer column mounted paddles? Makes no sense to me. With your hands in proper position, having the paddles move with your hands is the best route.

Originally Posted by michaeldorian
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/07/p...00-horsepower/

As we've discussed, the current Porsche Turbo is much too slow. Rather than let the aftermarket have all the glory, Porsche has decided to up the Turbo's performance for 2010. But not just in terms of power. Egged on no doubt by the pesky Nissan GT-R, Porsche is performing a complete character change for their newest Turbo, including less weight, RWD bias and a more sporting character.

The big news is of course the engine. Goodbye 3.6-liter six, it's been fun. Hello 3.8-liter directed injected flat-six from the Carrera S. Coupled to two variable-vane turbos, power is now 500 hp. And because it's direct injected, mileage increases from 22.1 mpg to 24.1 mpg with the manual. Should you opt for Porsche's 7-speed Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (dual-clutch) gearbox, mileage improves from the old Tiptronic's 20.8 mpg to a very impressive 24.8 mpg. Also gone (kinda) are the silly dual-action faux-paddle shifters. Replacing them are F1 style right-is-up, left-is-down wheel-mounted paddles -- a welcome improvement, though we'd still prefer column-mounted shifters like on Ferraris and Godzilla. And you can still opt for the inferior dual-action buttons if you like.

The fun continues with a reprogrammed Porsche Traction Management system that distributes torque between the front and rear differentials via an electric multi-plate clutch. Still not convinced? The PSM (Porsche Stability Management) has been re-calibrated to provide more thrills. New RS Spyder rims are also available to decrease unsprung weight. In a word, yes please.

Pricing is listed for the coupe and cabriolet at $132,800 and $143,800 respectively, with an on-sale date of November 2009 in Germany and January 2010 here in the United States. We'll get a first glimpse of the new Turbo this September at the Frankfurt Auto Show. Until then, read the full press release after the jump.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
BostonRocket is infamous around these parts
I am pretty relieved to see that the changes, cosmetically, are rather minor. Maybe an updated software from the factory in the future will bring us that reprogrammed PTM; I am pretty sure that may happen.

Also, it looks like those new exhaust tips would fit the 997.1TT as long as the black plastic baffles are punched out of the rear bumper. I am just assuming this, of course. I am at the dealership later, and maybe I can get the parts manager to load up the exhaust schematic for both cars and see if they are the same part numbers.

'Rocket

Last edited by BostonRocket; 08-07-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The VW deal has no affect on this car, this has been in the makings long before Porsche got in any trouble. It'll be a while before you start to see any VW influence. And if they are smart, there won't be much. VW has done well improving Lambo and Audi, I think they have some smart business decision capability. But Porsche has a different standard so this is new territory in that aspect.

As for the car, looking forward to seeing what the PDK is all about. Not too concerned about the A91 in the TT. As long as it's still forged on the inside, handling lots of boost is no problemo.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
It's not the boost that I am concerned about with the new block - it's a wet sump version of the 6 cylinder boxer. Regardless of the YouTube video showing the new engine being shaken around, that does not simulate actual racing conditions where long fast corners at high g's cause oil starvation. But who knows? It may be just as good, but I doubt it is a better engine in terms of durability. Heck, I think the 911SC engine was one of the best engines that Porsche made - but I not an 'engineer'.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
BostonRocket is infamous around these parts
The 997.2 block is dry-sump.

Last edited by BostonRocket; 08-07-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
The GT1 engine is a far more sophisticated and sturdy engine than the new 3.8. The split block was apparently costing Porsche something likes 3x as much as the regular block. The fact the 09 is a recession year and as such I think the # of cars made is low, may lead to the 09 TT being a seminal car like the 993. We will know what porsche really thinks with the next gt3rs cup car. When you see that based on the new block, then you know they think they have the durability worked out. When I talked with Ruf about upgrades and tuning, they were clear that the new block is not as sturdy as the GT1, and can not handle as much tuning.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
The GT1 engine is a far more sophisticated and sturdy engine than the new 3.8. The split block was apparently costing Porsche something likes 3x as much as the regular block. The fact the 09 is a recession year and as such I think the # of cars made is low, may lead to the 09 TT being a seminal car like the 993. We will know what porsche really thinks with the next gt3rs cup car. When you see that based on the new block, then you know they think they have the durability worked out. When I talked with Ruf about upgrades and tuning, they were clear that the new block is not as sturdy as the GT1, and can not handle as much tuning.
I'm sure hoping I'd like to sell my '09 in about 2.5 years from now. I got it for a song. I know I'll take a sizable hit, but would like to get more than $5 bucks for it.

My C63 AMG if my depreciation king. Bought it for about $64K 8 months ago (from 68k sticker) and it's now worth about $47K.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
I think during the first ten years of its life it will drop like any other. But then it will recover faster. A good 993 turbo can fetch more than a 996. I think the same will be true of the 997TT with GT1. I'm not much for selling cars, so I will keep mine for many years to come.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
not a fan of the base wheel, the optional ones are nice though.

not a fan of the big new sidemirrors

wish it had more power but PDK should keep it ahead of the pack for magazine racers and 0-60 enthusiasts. Very happy to have gotten an 08 and GT1 block for keepers.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Silentrun is infamous around these parts
Now it's time to see what it will do against the GT-Ricer

Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Dont think they came up with the beast required to get away from the pack yet, not even a nice try.... too bad. The vette, the GTR , etc they are all getting away and they come up with this.... Come on launch a killer for the competition and make them think...

Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by michaeldorian
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/07/p...00-horsepower/

As we've discussed, the current Porsche Turbo is much too slow. Rather than let the aftermarket have all the glory, Porsche has decided to up the Turbo's performance for 2010. But not just in terms of power. Egged on no doubt by the pesky Nissan GT-R, Porsche is performing a complete character change for their newest Turbo, including less weight, RWD bias and a more sporting character.

The big news is of course the engine. Goodbye 3.6-liter six, it's been fun. Hello 3.8-liter directed injected flat-six from the Carrera S. Coupled to two variable-vane turbos, power is now 500 hp. And because it's direct injected, mileage increases from 22.1 mpg to 24.1 mpg with the manual. Should you opt for Porsche's 7-speed Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (dual-clutch) gearbox, mileage improves from the old Tiptronic's 20.8 mpg to a very impressive 24.8 mpg. Also gone (kinda) are the silly dual-action faux-paddle shifters. Replacing them are F1 style right-is-up, left-is-down wheel-mounted paddles -- a welcome improvement, though we'd still prefer column-mounted shifters like on Ferraris and Godzilla. And you can still opt for the inferior dual-action buttons if you like.

The fun continues with a reprogrammed Porsche Traction Management system that distributes torque between the front and rear differentials via an electric multi-plate clutch. Still not convinced? The PSM (Porsche Stability Management) has been re-calibrated to provide more thrills. New RS Spyder rims are also available to decrease unsprung weight. In a word, yes please.

Pricing is listed for the coupe and cabriolet at $132,800 and $143,800 respectively, with an on-sale date of November 2009 in Germany and January 2010 here in the United States. We'll get a first glimpse of the new Turbo this September at the Frankfurt Auto Show. Until then, read the full press release after the jump.
i can't believe it! ferrari went from mind you the "Scuderia" 500hp and some change to the new 458 "italia" with 570hp and less wt. Porsche on the other hand just gave us a 20hp jump and "paddles" BFD! i know what i'll be getting next!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:58 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 997tt RS 2.7
i can't believe it! ferrari went from mind you the "Scuderia" 500hp and some change to the new 458 "italia" with 570hp and less wt. Porsche on the other hand just gave us a 20hp jump and "paddles" BFD! i know what i'll be getting next!
i still like that porsche gives you a little something almost every single year. unlike most companies take make the exact same car through its entire product cycle. IE the F430 was the exact same product from 2004 to 2009.
Also keep in mind that this Porsche is available now. People will likely be taking delivery next month, whereas to my knowledge that Italia 458 is a 2011 Model.
The Ferrari costs a lot more and power-wise is usually ahead by 3 years. IE) the 430 came out 2004, the 997tt with matched horsepower came out in 2007. If the Italia 458 comes out in 2011, then the 998tt with 570hp will be possibly be released in 2014. Which would mean the 998 Carrera should be out in 2013?
Wow this is a long speculation rant.. sorry guys!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
The 458 is a new model, the 997 TT MK-II is just a facelift, so what do u expect?
i don`t think that the 458 will be faster (except for the V-Max) and the Turbo-S is comin soon as well..
The new 997TT MK-II doesn`t carry the GT1 block anymore, but even an upgraded DFI engine will be more reliable than a Ricer or Ferrari engine. that´s for sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porsche unveils facelifted 2010 Turbo!