997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche unveils facelifted 2010 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:27 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Porsche won't have launch control/blow up the trans. issues. People are already predicting PDK failure before the car is even released. Why should Porsche declare how much power, more than stock, a turbo can handle? This is laughable.

Last edited by 911dev; 08-08-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
If you're that worried about the PDK, just get the manual. GT3 owners don't have that option.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If the oil is in the crankcase it's a wet sump.
i inquired about ferraris a few wks ago, one thing he mentioned was that porsche, in order to cut cost now uses a "wet" sump system. i didn't understand what he meant back then, cause i read they used "integrated dry sump" system. i thought he was full of crap! (i got irritated) he also mentioned that the system "wet sump" will end up in the Turbo! wouldn't you know it, he was right! he also stated that the Scuderia is as reliable as anything porsche builds. may have to look @ Scuds next time, sorry (have always been a Porsche fan, but they are going in the wrong direction) WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN VW TAKES OVER?

Last edited by 997tt RS 2.7; 08-08-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
shawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really nice
Well, it looks like my decision to by an '09 Turbo was a good one. I'm surprised that Porsche didn't do more with the 997.2 Turbo to make up for all of the things that they took away (related to the GT1 engine block). I'm also rather surprised that they didn't add a day-time running light LED lstrip as the did in the other 997.2 models. Seems odd that they wouldn't just convert the existing front LED turn indicators to DRL's.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 AM
RCArce01 is infamous around these parts
Why doesn't everyone just wait until this car is actually released before we starting making HUGE assumptions the first day we get info on it? Seems like everyone is afraid of change, you don't expect them to keep the GT1 engine forever... I mean it's been what almost 10 years? Hey if you like your GT1.... keep it. Porsche has to progress to stay in the game.

Probably 85-90% of the Turbo customers are lawyers, doctors, CEO's, etc. Most of those people are not the hardcore aftermarket tuners or "997TT enthusiasts" you see on this board. You have to remember Porsche has to please the general market, and a 20hp boost with slightly less weight and less emissions looks good to those types of customers.

Heck, it's performance numbers are better than the 997.1TT, but we're complaining because it "might" not be as reliable after we juice it with steroids up and around 750HP. Everyone is looking at the glass half empty here...

Last edited by RCArce01; 08-09-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:01 AM
shawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really nice
Not sure that I agree with the premise that a 20hp increase is sufficient. That's only ~a 4% increase in power, which is hardly exciting IMHO for a model refresh. Just surprised that Porsche didn't offer more hp to garner more interest...

Old 08-09-2009, 02:06 AM
TheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by shawminator
Not sure that I agree with the premise that a 20hp increase is sufficient. That's only ~a 4% increase in power, which is hardly exciting IMHO for a model refresh. Just surprised that Porsche didn't offer more hp to garner more interest...
They didn't add more power because they didn't want the turbo getting too close to GT2 territory.

It's all marketing. Like its been said, the refresh is being aimed at the general market, not enthusiasts on 6speed. I bet most of the people that are going to buy this car don't even know what a GT1 block is and are going to keep their cars bone stock.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:17 AM
RCArce01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by shawminator
That's true... I think we were all hoping the 997.2TT would be around 540bhp with the 997.2 GT2 coming out later with something like 590bhp. Although who knows, I still think Porsche is holding back for the major model change to the 998/991 in which it will be much more drastic. This mk-II facelift may just be to keep the market alive until the 998/991 models are released in 2012-ish.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Broker404 is infamous around these partsBroker404 is infamous around these parts
Why can't a car company create a paddle-shifter setup and have both steering and column mounted paddles?

You could have a separate piece where the paddles are mounted that's in fits in between the wheel and the column, and you could chose between locking it in place to the column, or be able to lock it to the steering wheel.

This concept doesn't appear to be very complex, and the idea has crossed my mind many times in the past several years...I'd think a car company could easily do this without any problems.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
There is a difference between a stock PDK breaking due to Porsche's issues and the PDK breaking due to high horse powers after mods. If you're the one to want the mods, go for the 6sp. Are some of you going to blame Porsche for breaking the PDK in a modded 700Hp cars? It isn't what Porsche intended to built, they built it for a 500hp car and if its not breaking with those figures, Porsche has got it right!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RCArce01
That's true... I think we were all hoping the 997.2TT would be around 540bhp with the 997.2 GT2 coming out later with something like 590bhp. Although who knows, I still think Porsche is holding back for the major model change to the 998/991 in which it will be much more drastic. This mk-II facelift may just be to keep the market alive until the 998/991 models are released in 2012-ish.
I would agree that Porsche is holding back to keep room for the 991 turbo, which we will not likely see until mid to late 2012 as a MY2013. I was hoping they might get to 510+ but never thought they would make such a drastic mid-model improvement as 60 HP. I mean the 996/997 transition was only 60 HP.

Adding PDK. modest power, DI and torque will make this thing a beast. Look what it did for the C2S; a fantastic car. Add to that 12 lbs. or so of lost weight in the rear like the C2S and, well... it's the right direction, imo.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
czechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
They didn't add more power because they didn't want the turbo getting too close to GT2 territory.

It's all marketing. Like its been said, the refresh is being aimed at the general market, not enthusiasts on 6speed. I bet most of the people that are going to buy this car don't even know what a GT1 block is and are going to keep their cars bone stock.
Indeed

Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Cosmonaut is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911dev
I would agree that Porsche is holding back to keep room for the 991 turbo, which we will not likely see until mid to late 2012 as a MY2013. I was hoping they might get to 510+ but never thought they would make such a drastic mid-model improvement as 60 HP. I mean the 996/997 transition was only 60 HP.

Adding PDK. modest power, DI and torque will make this thing a beast. Look what it did for the C2S; a fantastic car. Add to that 12 lbs. or so of lost weight in the rear like the C2S and, well... it's the right direction, imo.
My thoughts exactly, I drove a pdk carrera and that thing was a blast to drive, I might just have to push my turbo

Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 AM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Based on all the posts above, guess my GT1 engine in my '07 Turbo is track-proven and might be more hardcore than the new Turbo engine coming out. I still want to read and hear about the new engine and how it performs after it is out for a while. The new 2009 997.2 Carrera models came out with DFI and there was alot of hype about that also...time will tell, but I am confident that the new Turbo will be another beast with incredible acceleration. Remember: There is no substitute

Old 08-10-2009, 02:08 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
personally, i'll give the new car time to prove itself. i love the GT1 block for all the obvious reasons (racing pedigree, mod friendly, bulletproof, etc,) but i'd also like to see some real world reports for the first few months after owners have their new cars.

what IS lamentable IMO, is that Porsche are clearly behind the curve vis-a-vis the competition.

think back to the 993TT and how it was so far above the pack that it may have as well been from another planet.

with the 996TT, it wasn't quite as dominant, but IIRC, no contemporary Ferrari or Lambo or japanese car stood a chance.

fast forward to the 997TT, and you have not only the usual suspects like Lamborghini and Ferrari, but even Audi and Nissan being on at least even keel with our beloved Turbo.

i'm sure the 997.2 TT will be a good car. but i'm looking forward to the 991 in a few years...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porsche unveils facelifted 2010 Turbo!