997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche unveils facelifted 2010 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
joecmess is infamous around these parts
Porsche knows that more than 90% of its Turbo customers don't care or know the difference from the GT1 to the new DFI motor. They just want the new car, hence write a check for 2 year/3 year lease. Further, who out there is hitting the kind of G's on the track that will starve the motor of oil? I never had an issue in my C2S when I had it, but I am an intermediate track driver at best. If I could, I would have a dedicated track car for that kind of fun!

So, that leaves the 10% or less that may buy in or go to another brand.

Last edited by joecmess; 08-11-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by joecmess
Porsche knows that more than 90% of its Turbo customers don't care or know the difference from the GT1 to the new DFI motor. Further, who out there is hitting the kind of G's on the track that will starve the motor of oil? I never had an issue in my C2S, but I am an intermediate track driver at best.

You are absolutely right and the DFI "generic" Carrera motors are even better than their predecessors.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JZRS4
We saw what VW did with Lambo, take some hints.

Porsche will suffer a loss of identity, and a complete make over.

We are all assuming at this point that VW will screw the pooch. Maybe someone over there has a brain, the new engine is sure to **** off the repeat buyers club. Not so sure I see a large group of new wealth coming into the market any time soon.

Porsche should be careful as to not **** off current owners.
BMW did that and we are all driving AUDI's now Anyone see Bangle?
I'm not so good with hints, so if you have any tangible evidence rather than speculation please forward on.

I don't see any real hurt by VW, hopefully just more bank.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by joecmess
Porsche knows that more than 90% of its Turbo customers don't care or know the difference from the GT1 to the new DFI motor. They just want the new car, hence write a check for 2 year/3 year lease. Further, who out there is hitting the kind of G's on the track that will starve the motor of oil? I never had an issue in my C2S when I had it, but I am an intermediate track driver at best. If I could, I would have a dedicated track car for that kind of fun!

I agree with part of your statement, that most buyers are klewless about a real dry sump motor vs a wet sump. Frankly they probably don't deserve it and will be none the wiser with a wet sump consumer grade motor. But it's still a sad day.
As far as Gs at the track, I have seen wild oil pressure fluctuations first hand in the 996 at the track, turn 2 at TWS (CW) 5bar-2bar-5bar at sustained 6000 rpms in my 996 C2. I know of 2 engine failures from oil starvation in 996s here in Texas. It happens, and it's not pretty. Conversely, my dry sump Turbo is like a rock at those speeds, the oil pressure never fluctuates one bit with R compounds or Hoosier slicks.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 08-11-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 911dev
You are absolutely right and the DFI "generic" Carrera motors are even better than their predecessors.
Big statement on a new motor. Time will tell but I surely hope they are better than previous Generic motor.

Peter

Old 08-11-2009, 05:21 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Alois Ruff has stated that new A91 Carrera engines not as "strong" as previous GT1 engines. not sure what he meant by "strong"; my guest is A91 can not be modded heavily, without adversely affecting reliability?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:42 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Im not sure what he meant either but when he speaks I'd listen...he knows his way around a Porsche engine or two. He is probably pissed he will have to make more carbon $4,000 lights vs. modding A91's to generate some revenue going forward! I kid, I kid.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
No, it's not a wet sump because the oiling system is still fed the same as it would be whether the reservoir was inside or outside of the engine. It doesn't matter where the reservoir is placed.

The 997.1 Carreras are a wet sump. .2's are integrated and 997.1 turbos, GT2's and GT3's are dry sump.

Yes, the 458 is a traditional dry sump, traditional race set up.
Well... my 2006 Carrera S's sales brochure and window sticker both specifically state "integrated dry sump" also, just as the 997.2 Carreras. In the M96/97 motors the oil goes back into the sump - which is separated by slats from the crankcase that allow the oil to flow into it - by gravity and some valves to not allow it to back up into the crankcase. It's neither wet nor dry but a hybrid? It is, though, inferior to the one on the cars with the GT1 block. I am not 100% sure but believe the system in the 9A1 is an evolution of the "integrated dry sump" of the M96/97 if I am not mistaken.

Anyways, my whole issue with this is that 997.2 Turbo buyers are going to pay about $2k more base price than the 997.1 Turbo owners but with an engine which is inferior and is cheaper to build. Is this what allows Porsche to "get more from less"?; that's where the whole "efficiency" they talk about comes from IMHO... a substantially increased profit margin where you pay more for less and, conversely, they get more by giving buyers less.

Last edited by cibergypsy; 08-11-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Boxer6Fan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mstams
Paddles:
Dont know how i feel about that steering wheel. Otherwise it all looks great

Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by 997tt RS 2.7
Alois Ruff has stated that new A91 Carrera engines not as "strong" as previous GT1 engines. not sure what he meant by "strong"; my guest is A91 can not be modded heavily, without adversely affecting reliability?
I was comparing the 997.1 Carrera engines to the 997.2 Carrera engines. My post you are referencing has nothing to do with the dry sump turbo engine.

My opinion of them being better than their predecessor is in regards to a host of improvements, lighter, more efficient, more power, more torque and supposedly a better oiling system (as proclaimed by Porsche) even if both are considered integrated dry sump engines.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Former Vendor
FluidMotorUnion has a spectacular aura aboutFluidMotorUnion has a spectacular aura about
Beautiful!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 PM
dark335i is infamous around these partsdark335i is infamous around these parts
Nice!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Jonnydeep83 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
Anyways, my whole issue with this is that 997.2 Turbo buyers are going to pay about $2k more base price than the 997.1 Turbo owners but with an engine which is inferior and is cheaper to build. Is this what allows Porsche to "get more from less"?; that's where the whole "efficiency" they talk about comes from IMHO... a substantially increased profit margin where you pay more for less and, conversely, they get more by giving buyers less.

I think you are very correct 'More for them less for us' . If porsche had applied the new cheaper engine and used the additional spread to make other modifications to the car (i.e. more carbon fiber etc) .. i would maybe understand. But hey, i guess they really need the money right now.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You guys are forgetting PDK, and this is NOT the same unit used in the Carrera. they developed a derived motor, and have spent several years getting this PDK right for the TT. Not exactly the cheap way out IMO.

Frankly I don't see what the big deal is. The Turbo DOES NOT NEED a GT1 block. It is turbocharged. Making a small turbo engine with today's technology is like nothing. Supra, Evo, GT-R etc. all have excellent motors, two of which capable of lots of power. Strong Block, forged internals is about all you need. The GT1 block was very strong, but limited in it's capabilities, no DFI and heavy. The sacrifice cannot be overlooked in the N/A GT3, but this is a turbo we are talking about.

PDK is not for me, unless it's a show/date/cruise car anyways. So I'm neutral on the subject, I just think too much is being made of the GT1 block when it comes to the Turbo. Porsche can easily make another capable FI motor. Look at the Cayenne TT, peice of cake.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
any data on the weight of the new engine versus the old??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porsche unveils facelifted 2010 Turbo!