997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo Manual or Auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Halo is infamous around these parts
997 Turbo Manual or Auto?

I am in the market to get a (2007 or 2008) 997T as my M5 is almost out of warranty next month. It's time for a switch but am in the "learning" stage for this car.

Your thoughts/experience will help.

Stick or auto?
What are MUST HAVE's for options...
what easy mods can give you an extra 50 hp?

How does this compair to the M5 as far as fun, speed, and everyday driving?

Thank you and hope to be more of a regular here if I can find my dream car!

Halo

Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Tiger is infamous around these parts
alright, being a 997TT owner myself ill try to answer your questions the best i can.
personally i always preferred Auto over manual.
the 997TT tiptronic shifts faster than ever, so i say auto. (If you flash your ECU the shifting speed will be even faster.)

In terms of options:
the only one u should care about mostly is the Sport chrono package. Its a must.

Brakes: go for the normal Red ones, dont go for the PCCB since there were some complaints in this forum about PCCB.
If your going to use the car Daily then the Red one are more than enough.
If your going to track the car, Still go for the red ones and replace the stock brake disks with brembo (provided by sharkwerks and others).

MODS:
easy mods for extra power.
the best one i can say is Flash your ECU (GIAC or EVOMSIT)
or
you can do the exhaust. (there many to chose from. Search the forum you'll find many videos)
Personally if you want to choose the Exhausts, you must hear the exhausts in person, not on the internet. Go to the different workshops and they'll be more than happy to give you a sound test.

Some say Flashing is better (easier), since you dont have to change alot of "hardware" yet it provides noticeable power.

Some might say exhausts are better, others will say do both - so its a matter of preference.
but in terms of mods those 2 are always the "Starters"

In terms of how does it compare to the M5.
I dont have a M5 but i Do have a CL55AMG
Both are are different/amazing in their own right.
the merc provides power, but also comfort but it feels somewhat heavy.
the porsche is light, fast, and has lots of torque. they have sacrificed a bit of the comfort but not too much.
in terms of reliability. Its definatley a daily driver.

I hope i answered your questions and if you need any specific details let me know

Last edited by Tiger; 08-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I came out of an M6 cab into a C2S PDK with sport chrono plus. I didn't consider the turbo after driving a C2S. Plenty of power and excellent handling. I've owned several Porsches before the M6. I just wanted one, but all I can say is that I owned one and now back to my Porsche. Although I do not own a turbo, but I can say the Porsche turbo will dance all around the M5, tip or manual. Granted, not as much HP untils the mods, but better handling, weighs less, not a gas hog... Enjoy your search and post some pics!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 AM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
manual. You feel more connected to the car and power IMO. I came from an '07 M6 Cab. Options: Sport Chrono, short shifter, sport seats, red brakes.

Mods: all you need to get up to ~550 HP is an exhaust and ECU upgrade. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Halo is infamous around these parts
On my way to see a red 997T stock, if the dealer still has it with 4,700 miles on it. I have loved this car from the outside for so long in my life, I hope the ride/drive is not disappointing like the GT-R was. I really want to keep loving this car as a dream to reality.

I will keep you all posted..

Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Got to have the manual tranny, then you know your driving a PORSCHE

Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 AM
lcrain is infamous around these parts
as far as auto vs. manual, i personally would go with a manual over auto in any car (except maybe an m5/m6 SMG is meant for this car), the porsche manual gearbox is absolutely superb, best I have ever felt

Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 AM
porschestrabe is infamous around these parts
Manual!!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Lifestyles is infamous around these parts
Manual!! x 2

Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
I came from a e60 m5 with chip and Dinan diff. and to be honest I was a bit disappointed at first... The m5 just felt faster to me and to be honest I missed the smg tranny. After getting reaccustomed to the turbo however I wouldn't go back to the m or any BMW in the future. It's just an overall amazing car and the pdk will complete it for me.

Concerning your questions. Manual unless you really just don't like driving a stick. Exhaust and ecu are always great mods to start with and then wheels suspension hope this helps and welcome.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Check out this link concerning options:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-options.html

Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
i would def. choose a manual over the (old) tiptronic but the new PDK is def. another story.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:21 PM
elow is infamous around these partselow is infamous around these parts
IMHO: It really doesn't matter what other people think, get what YOU want and feel most comfortable with, cuz it's YOUR car.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:42 PM
fallen612 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by elow
IMHO: It really doesn't matter what other people think, get what YOU want and feel most comfortable with, cuz it's YOUR car.

+1000000 your going to be driving it. but i know your looking for opinions and when i get mine. im going with the manual. i have had one auto car and 2 manual cars. i like the manual because you do feel more in sync with the car. my 2 cents

Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
Had both, prefer Tip. Also have Tubi exhaust, Evoms stage 2, and lowering springs on current TT Tip, transformed car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo Manual or Auto?