997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Flipping MPSC's inside out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:09 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Flipping MPSC's inside out

Predictably I've been wearing the inside of the rears much more quickly than the outside shoulders owing to some pretty decent negative camber dialed-in by FarnbacherLoles.

With respect to Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, they're not directional but they do have an outside and an inside. Has anyone tried flipping them inside-out to maximize their life?....i.e., put what I call the "Mike and Ike" section on the inside. Since they are fairly well broken-in I suspect it may not matter.

I've got 2 days at WGI next week and the outsides look great but the insides pretty worn. I'd hate to cord the insides as replacement in bustling Watkins Glen is probably a non-starter.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
AB
I don't think you can flip them. I'd buy some RE11s, just got some, luv 'em. I'm heading to the glen on friday with metro for the advanced day, you too?
c

Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I'll see you guys at the Glen as well, if your insides are worn that may be an alignment issue.

I've got 5,000 miles on my RE-11s and probably 5-7 track days and they are wearing very well, the very outside edge is the only thing Im looking at as the insides are perfectly fine.

How many miles do you have on them? How many track days? Are both the rear and front insides worn or just the rear?

If the rears are wearing more than the fronts by a lot, and you are lowered make sure you have adjustable toe links to get the correct toe otherwise you'll be scrubbing the rear tires and decreasing their shelf life by half.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by raiyu
I'll see you guys at the Glen as well, if your insides are worn that may be an alignment issue.

I've got 5,000 miles on my RE-11s and probably 5-7 track days and they are wearing very well, the very outside edge is the only thing Im looking at as the insides are perfectly fine.

How many miles do you have on them? How many track days? Are both the rear and front insides worn or just the rear?

If the rears are wearing more than the fronts by a lot, and you are lowered make sure you have adjustable toe links to get the correct toe otherwise you'll be scrubbing the rear tires and decreasing their shelf life by half.
They have 9 days track on them and probably 3k of "driving around" since I haven't swapped them for the summers since I put them on in June. The fronts were corded in the centers after 9 days so just replaced them with a fresh set. The rears are still looking pretty OK aside from the insides which are wearing more quickly than the fronts owing to the negative camber. I've sent Kip at FB a note to see what he thinks.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The wear pattern you are describing is typical with the amount of neg camber we are both running. Mine does the exact same thing.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
my cousin flipped them no problems so far...