997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2nd round of lighting mods: fogs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
LOL
Now I just need to find out if this assembly is sold in parts or only as a whole unit. Thanks bbywu!
I don't see the wire separately, but will check...

Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I don't see the wire separately, but will check...
Jeez, you're just a wealth of info
Looks like the housing (#22) is a piece unto itself and the wires/grey piece come with the metal electrical bulb connector (#23).

Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Jeez, you're just a wealth of info
Looks like the housing (#22) is a piece unto itself and the wires/grey piece come with the metal electrical bulb connector (#23).
I think 22 comes with the black cap, the grey connector with wires that end with standard wire connectors with plastic covers.

23 is a "repair kit" it comes with the H3 bulb holder, a rubber sheath to hold the wire, and a spring clip.

H3 bulbs go into the holder. They have a single wire with a standard electrical connector (male.) Once placed in the holder, the rubber sheath holds the wire, and the spring clip is used to place the entire unit into the lens.

The wire from the H3 bulb plugs into the female connector in the black cap. On the bottom of the H3 holder is another male connector, and plugs into another female connector in the black cap. Hence, a complete circuit.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I think 22 comes with the black cap, the grey connector with wires that end with standard wire connectors with plastic covers.

23 is a "repair kit" it comes with the H3 bulb holder, a rubber sheath to hold the wire, and a spring clip.

H3 bulbs go into the holder. They have a single wire with a standard electrical connector (male.) Once placed in the holder, the rubber sheath holds the wire, and the spring clip is used to place the entire unit into the lens.

The wire from the H3 bulb plugs into the female connector in the black cap. On the bottom of the H3 holder is another male connector, and plugs into another female connector in the black cap. Hence, a complete circuit.
Think I got it. If the grey connector is part of the black housing, then I'll need both 22 and 23. Thanks again!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Think I got it. If the grey connector is part of the black housing, then I'll need both 22 and 23. Thanks again!
I think you are correct

My pleasure, good luck.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Finally got around to doing this mod. Bob, again a million thanks for the help on identifying the parts I needed. Man, what PITA. I'm convinced that the workers at Zuffenhausen have small elfin hands
We don't get much fog around these parts, but good to know I have some yellow lights to guide the way if we ever do

Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i found this :
http://www.hoen-usa.com/city.htm

We offer two city light solutions, introducing the advanced Hoën dLED bulb, designed as a high tech replacement for the incandescent driving light inside the Porsche 997 Turbo LED cluster. Not suitable / tested for any other vehicle application!

We also offer the new W5W city light 3,850k that is suitable for all cars that have the city light inside the headlight housing. Common W5W 'super white' bulbs have a common flaw, that being the coatings required to produce a HID white light produce massive amounts of heat. This heat will melt connectors and or wiring over time so we have designed a solution that operates 30% lower in temperature and only marginally warmer than your factory equivalent. [temperature test results]

The net result [images] is a whiter than factory bulb that runs much cooler than typical W5W 'super white' bulbs. While it is not a perfect match to factory HID low beams it is the closest you can get without running exorbitant amounts of heat and is much whiter than stock bulbs.

Our starting point was the OEM city light bulb from the Mercedes CLS, a lightly blue coated bulb, we tinkered with the coatings to get it whiter while keeping it within operating tolerances of the factory lamp housings.

Hoën W5W city light 3,850k Hoën dLED_3 city light 4,500k
W5W city light for in headlight applications. Suitable for Audi, Mercedes etc. easy direct swap for factory bulbs.

Can also be used in interior applications using the W5W fitment.

The dLED features a forward firing LED and two additional LEDs to produce a very bright light that closely matches factory HID lighting in Kelvin grade.. Easy plug and play install in 15 minutes.

Designed and tested for Porsche 997 Turbo only. Will not work on other applications despite sharing same fitment.

Hoën W5W city light $20 per pair
Order now from 2co

Hoën dLED_3 W5W $40 per pair

Porsche owners please e-mail to order

Old 04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
avoid the 3850 bulbs, they are not that white at all (ive tried them in other applications), LEDs are the better route for our cars.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:55 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
A while back (while my car was in the shop), I had the Hoen city lights and HID match fogs installed...I love them! I was really was shocked how well the HID match fog bulbs match the color of the factory head lights. Sorry for the hazy phone picture.

Attached Images  

Last edited by evoviiiyou; 04-05-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Well, the fogs turned out to be pieces of crap. I bought these several months ago but just got around to installing them about 200 miles ago. My passenger side burned out already (and they obviously have not been on for all of that time). I emailed them regarding a replacement. Have they come out with a better bulb recently?
Now I'm afraid of the license plate, side marker and city lights burning out soon too

Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
All of them burned out.....

Crap. After an hour and tearing up my hands, I finally removed my defective Hoen fogs and replaced them with the crappy yellow incandescent OEM bulbs. Thought it would be good idea to check out the other bulbs I purchased, and lo and behold, one or both pairs of each set burned out! City lights, amber side markers AND license plate lights. Hoen told me I could return the fogs but am awaiting word on whether they will reimburse/replace the other lights as well. If they have regular incandescent options available, I'll probably just ask for those instead for reliability-sake.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Ive had the bulbs for a long time, never had an issue like this with multiple failures. I would double check the connections on the LED and sidelights, re-seat the bulbs make sure the two metal prongs are connecting. They are thicker than stock which can stretch the tabs out and without tension they wont make a connection.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney
Ive had the bulbs for a long time, never had an issue like this with multiple failures. I would double check the connections on the LED and sidelights, re-seat the bulbs make sure the two metal prongs are connecting. They are thicker than stock which can stretch the tabs out and without tension they wont make a connection.
I already pulled them all out. Not gonna put them back in to test. But I know the side markers were connected b/c the lights were on, but only one of the LED clusters was functioning (if you look at the 'bulb' there are 4 clusters, 2 on each side. Only one of the 4 was working).

Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM
ah, im talking about regular silver / ignite yellow sides, not LEDs so cant help you there.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney
ah, im talking about regular silver / ignite yellow sides, not LEDs so cant help you there.
So you have incandescent silver bulbs for the sidemarkers? Did you get those from Hoen or another source?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2nd round of lighting mods: fogs