997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2 Clutch Slave in a 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
So I went by EVOMS today after work. They didn't have a stock 997TT with the conversion. Closest was a 996TT with the GT2 clutch slave and an upgraded clutch. Wow. Heavy pedal doesn't begin to describe. Was told the OEM clutch with the conversion would be lighter. Suppose I could get used to it even if it wasn't, but polar opposites as far as pedal effort.
Oh, decisions, decisions.....

Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
So I went by EVOMS today after work. They didn't have a stock 997TT with the conversion. Closest was a 996TT with the GT2 clutch slave and an upgraded clutch. Wow. Heavy pedal doesn't begin to describe. Was told the OEM clutch with the conversion would be lighter. Suppose I could get used to it even if it wasn't, but polar opposites as far as pedal effort.
Oh, decisions, decisions.....
It's harder to press yet the work load had real driving reward to it. Comined with a race exhaust, 700 Hp, and better engaging clutch the car becomes more raw . The modified turbos pull more linear and without the cats and the harder clutch the driver becomes more connected .

The car becomes less luxury and more Porsche pure in my opinion

For me it was about creating a car with artistic flair wallking the fine line of daily driving ability with tuned supercar capability .

I love this car .

Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Sounds like a PITA to me. Summary of the labor from one of the senior wrenchers at EVOMS:

You have to remove the powersteering pump and actually remove the coupler that pumps fluid down to the slave on the transmission....once that is done, the Slave needs to be pulled out and replaced with a new bracket and slave cylinder. NOW! before you hook up the new slave to the pedal, you need to remove the master cylinder and pedal assist spring and replace them from a GT2 unit. The last step before hooking up the new slave cylinder is you have to COMPLETELY clean out the line. The factory fluid is called Pentosin. It is very very very damaging to rubber seals. The GT2 unit uses rubber seals in its master cylinder and slave, so you have to replace the pentosin with brake fluid, just the like the GT2 has from factory. Then the new slave can be hooked up and bled. The labor time on it is very intense I think its about 6 hours on a 997tt.

Man, this conversion sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Just can't justify the cost now....
Well... honestly though the stock clutch is good for over 600hp so even with a flash and exhaust you'll be good on the stocker for some time... The slave conversion done on your car will feel exactly like a factory GT3... Sit in one at a dealer and try the pedal. I'm sure you felt one with a beefy pressure plate from a stage III etc... which will need way more pressure.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Well... honestly though the stock clutch is good for over 600hp so even with a flash and exhaust you'll be good on the stocker for some time... The slave conversion done on your car will feel exactly like a factory GT3... Sit in one at a dealer and try the pedal. I'm sure you felt one with a beefy pressure plate from a stage III etc... which will need way more pressure.
"Beefy pressure plate" is an understatement I believe Ian told me it was 3900 lbs of pressure required to depress that particular clutch (3100-3200 on a stock 997?)