997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2 Clutch Slave in a 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
GT2 Clutch Slave in a 997TT

Haven't had a lot of seat time in the TT yet, but I've found the clutch to be a bit tricky. Not a lot of feel with engagement. Very close to the floor, but other than that, I just can't seem to get a good read on when it hooks up. Before I got it, I was expecting the pedal feel to be firm, but it was surprisingly very, very light. My Mini's clutch actually feels firmer.

I thought I liked the ease of the pedal, maybe still do, but a friend at EVOMS mentioned this 'upgrade' to me and it sounds intriguing. Removes the power assist and gives back more 'feeling' with clutch engagement. Only downside is it makes it much heavier and harder to depress.

Anyone done this conversion? How much firmer is the clutch? I've felt clutches without an assist and I dunno if I could deal with one on a car I actually own

Input/opinions appreciated. TIA.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
We just did one not too long ago. It was more about performance than the feel. The the power assist of the factory set up you have a much higher engagement point and leaves you guess too much where it is. The GT2 Slave Conversion is a much firmer feel to it but after a week or two of driving it your left leg will get used to it as it gets stronger trust me. I had a hard time driving it at first but after testing it for a week it was a blast because it gives you not only a lower engagement point but also a same engagement point every single time so you know exactly where its going to be at all times. It should also help you shift quicker to as well. At the time of the conversion we installed the Sachs Stage 2 clutch and plate combo. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
You might wanne ask member "yrralis1"..He got the set in his TT and enjoying them..
I also wanted them fitted but consider the costy labour to fit and my TT not a daily drive so gave up finally...

Old 08-27-2009, 11:56 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
We just did one not too long ago. It was more about performance than the feel. The the power assist of the factory set up you have a much higher engagement point and leaves you guess too much where it is. The GT2 Slave Conversion is a much firmer feel to it but after a week or two of driving it your left leg will get used to it as it gets stronger trust me. I had a hard time driving it at first but after testing it for a week it was a blast because it gives you not only a lower engagement point but also a same engagement point every single time so you know exactly where its going to be at all times. It should also help you shift quicker to as well. At the time of the conversion we installed the Sachs Stage 2 clutch and plate combo. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Thanks for the reply, Matthew. "..your left leg will get used to it as it gets stronger"??? Is it really that much more difficult that your leg needs to add muscle strength?? I'd like a bit of a firmer clutch, but not to the point where I blow out my knee, develop a huge mismatched thigh, or have to lean my whole body weight into a shift.

Originally Posted by lintc0532
You might wanne ask member "yrralis1"..He got the set in his TT and enjoying them..
I also wanted them fitted but consider the costy labour to fit and my TT not a daily drive so gave up finally...
I'll send him a PM. Thanks. How much labor is required here? I was hoping that it could easily be reversed if I hated it. From you post, sounds like that's out of the question.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
What does that cost.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Is this the same kit as the 996TT? I didnt find the kit on EVO's site.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
It's very similar to this kit.
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=162
What I would recommend everyone do is to at least try a 997GT2 or GT3 clutch pedal. The pedal can actually require more force to push depending on what your pressure plate is... but this is a good starting point.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
It's very similar to this kit.
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=162
What I would recommend everyone do is to at least try a 997GT2 or GT3 clutch pedal. The pedal can actually require more force to push depending on what your pressure plate is... but this is a good starting point.
Could you PM a ballpark figure for parts and labor for a 997TT?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Could you PM a ballpark figure for parts and labor for a 997TT?
Sure thing I'd say it's about a 5 hour job and $995 for the parts.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM
So, why is it so expensive?

Sounds like a PITA to me. Summary of the labor from one of the senior wrenchers at EVOMS:

You have to remove the powersteering pump and actually remove the coupler that pumps fluid down to the slave on the transmission....once that is done, the Slave needs to be pulled out and replaced with a new bracket and slave cylinder. NOW! before you hook up the new slave to the pedal, you need to remove the master cylinder and pedal assist spring and replace them from a GT2 unit. The last step before hooking up the new slave cylinder is you have to COMPLETELY clean out the line. The factory fluid is called Pentosin. It is very very very damaging to rubber seals. The GT2 unit uses rubber seals in its master cylinder and slave, so you have to replace the pentosin with brake fluid, just the like the GT2 has from factory. Then the new slave can be hooked up and bled. The labor time on it is very intense I think its about 6 hours on a 997tt.

Man, this conversion sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Just can't justify the cost now....

Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I would only do it of you were planning on keeping the car for a long time so that you could get your money's worth out of it or do it while your doing the clutch. Where are you located?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah I would only do it of you were planning on keeping the car for a long time so that you could get your money's worth out of it or do it while your doing the clutch. Where are you located?
I'm about 45 minutes-1 hour from EVOMS.
For now, I plan on keeping the car for a few years...but who ever can predict
When is an upgraded clutch recommended? Don't think I'll ever pony up enough $$$ for a 700+upgrade (unless the prices come WAY down), but I imagine I'll do some power mods in the future.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Site Sponsor
Are you completely stock right now?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Are you completely stock right now?
Si senor

Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 AM
Site Sponsor
Then you have nothing to worry about. If you do an exhaust you still don't have anything to worry about. If you do a software tune it depends on how you drive. With a software upgrade so long as your not reving it up and dumping the clutch like a drag race you dont have anything to worry about either. Your good on the street or even road courses but once you start dropping the clutch with the engine rev'd up the disc is going to burn out quickly because off the power and the all wheel drive it has to hold power to 4 wheels not just 2 it is simply not made for it. But under normal spirited driving your stock clutch should hold up just fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 Clutch Slave in a 997TT