997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

first speeding ticket - any NJ lawyers around?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
joecmess is infamous around these parts
first speeding ticket - any NJ lawyers around?

Driving home last night on rt 18, I am doing 75ish in a 65 when a car in next to me starts to swerve toward me. Instead of braking, I chose to speed up, but over accelerated to 100 (damn overboost). Next thing I know, cherries flashing. I tried to explain that I thought I was going to get hit and panicked a bit, which caused me to hit pedal. I also told him that this car can easily pull from 70 to 100 just by passing and that I did not intentionally try to hit 100 for "fun." So now have a ticket for 100 in a 65.

Any lawyers on the site?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joecmess
Driving home last night on rt 18, I am doing 75ish in a 65 when a car in next to me starts to swerve toward me. Instead of braking, I chose to speed up, but over accelerated to 100 (damn overboost). Next thing I know, cherries flashing. I tried to explain that I thought I was going to get hit and panicked a bit, which caused me to hit pedal. I also told him that this car can easily pull from 70 to 100 just by passing and that I did not intentionally try to hit 100 for "fun." So now have a ticket for 100 in a 65.

Any lawyers on the site?

Thanks
DAYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMM!
Such ticket was one of the easy ones I got in my days... Once I had to go to court, the prosecutor gave me my files (1 foot high) and told me to look them over then come talk to him...
I am not sure how things work in NJ but if you ever get one in TX I can help ya out.
Good luck and sorry!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:18 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Damn Joe...you are not having a lot of luck lately.

I know someone but that's too far for him to travel...but honestly you should be able to find any local attorney for something like this.

I'll see if my friend can recommend someone.

Definitely have a lawyer with you as over 100mph they can get pretty hard core with you...

Sorry bud...I'm sure all of us have had the same exact situation where we hit 100 without realizing it...

Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey Justin,

Ant recommendation would be helpful. This cop wouldn't even take my PBA card. Imagine if I had the Flash - he would have clocked me at 120!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Sercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura about
Anthony J. Pope

.anthonyjpopelawoffice. c o m

Last edited by Sercan; 09-05-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Forgot somthing
Old 09-05-2009, 08:31 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Just go to Cort. they will reduce it down to a non moving violation. I Never use a attorney. They just charge you to do the same thing. TRUST ME. Just did it in Newark and Wayne. 0 points

Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I've been in traffic court enough to know...over 100mph is a different ball game. Bring a lawyer...it will help.

I'll find out for sure if I can find you someone...

Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah...one more thing...get the flash! And set the limits on your PCM...it keeps me honest...also get a k40 or V1 or something...

I've never been pulled over in my Porsche...and trust me...that's a world record!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:54 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Its your money. same outcome.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
When you feel mad about a speeding ticket, read this and your day will be so much better.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...3-30ac12b1dbce

Old 09-06-2009, 07:19 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lardog
Were you doing 100? I know lots of jurisdictions will deal but once you hit the century mark things can get very different. If so, then I need to do more driving in Jersey.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:57 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Just go to Cort. they will reduce it down to a non moving violation. I Never use a attorney. They just charge you to do the same thing. TRUST ME. Just did it in Newark and Wayne. 0 points
I generally agree. I had 2 speeding tickets back to back. I hired an attorney, who actually did not show up for my hearing. I got the old 5MPH over and no points thing.

100 in a P-car as you said can be rationally explained by your story. The court generally wants to know that you won't do it again, and so you need to provide reason for why it won't happen again. My reason was the it was a new car, I was just getting used to the speed, and after my tickets, joined a P-car club and take my car to the track (which mitigates my desire to speed on the road).

Hiring an attorney is not a bad idea. It's just very expense insurance that even when needed, may even backfire on you (magistrate may feel as if you are trying to throw money at the problem for example).

Old 09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
well, it's a 5 point ticket. I personally don't think I was going that fast, but I didn't look at the speedo.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 AM
il nino is infamous around these partsil nino is infamous around these parts
Rick Toscano in the Caldwell/Roseland area. He actually represents a lot of cops when they need a lawyer and he used to be a proscecutor. Recommend him highly.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 AM
michaelrc51 is infamous around these parts
Not at the speeds he was going.
1-14 mph over is 2 points
15-24 over is 4 points
25+ is 5 points

Been to court over 15 times, some with lawyers and some without. Always got a plea bargain but as soon as you hit 15 mph over which is 4 points they won't go down to a charge with zero points.....but they usually drop it down to 2 points without any issues. Got out of one once on my own for 15mph over but there were other non moving violation tickets involved and my GF knew the proscecutor pretty well.
100mph usually gets you a reckless driving ticket as well.
Get a good lawyer, it will definitely be worth it but I would expect to get a charge that has points and a hefty fine.

Wish I could reccomend someone but I haven't found any that I felt were compitent enough. They usually handle the plea bargain and then get your case heard really quick instead of looking for loop holes or proper procedures.

Which municipality was it, East Brunswick?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: first speeding ticket - any NJ lawyers around?