997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intake Plenum with Larger Throttle Body Testing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by titannero
Very nice information, not to hi-jack Dan's thread. But Todd do you sell that piece individually, its very well done. Looks like that with a throttle body upgrade can be a good upgrade when at the right power level.
Hi Nero,

This is Dan's PR thread. I'll respond to you directly with answers.

Back on topic...

Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Bigger is not always better. The reason we went with the CTT 78mm throttle body instead of the 997 X51 81mm TB is because the larger TB does not gain on the bottom end. As you can see by the dyno you posted, most of the power is gain on top end. This is great for highway racers and achieving a strong dyno number. But for daily drivability and those looking to road race, most users are interested in throttle response and torque gains. I do not have numbers on mine, but it is simple that with to big of an opening will slow down the air flow. If it was all about who has the bigger one, I would just slap this on it!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
Bigger is not always better. The reason we went with the CTT 78mm throttle body instead of the 997 X51 81mm TB is because the larger TB does not gain on the bottom end. As you can see by the dyno you posted, most of the power is gain on top end. This is great for highway racers and achieving a strong dyno number. But for daily drivability and those looking to road race, most users are interested in throttle response and torque gains. I do not have numbers on mine, but it is simple that with to big of an opening will slow down the air flow. If it was all about who has the bigger one, I would just slap this on it!

LOL...Dan, are those turbos VTGs?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
With the AWE, Agency Power, and now Werks One, looks like IPD has some competition. Glad to see the plenum buzz is hot. We should have some tests shortly on ours.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by INA
Sorry did not mean to step on anyones toes.
My post was simply for knowledge purposes not commercial intent.
Hope this product does well for you.
Do you own or work for this

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/tim/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-10.jpg[/IMG]VWvortex Forums

Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
With the AWE, Agency Power, and now Werks One, looks like IPD has some competition. Glad to see the plenum buzz is hot. We should have some tests shortly on ours.
Since the IPD name was brought up, I'm also glad the plenum buzz is hot. They say, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Competition is good and healthy, assuming nothing infringes on the IPD patent.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=YT2...age&q=&f=false

Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor
Looks like Werks has a "Y" design. You should try to send them a Cease and Desist LOL.

Here is my personal experience with the 997TT IPD Plenum -

Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RSSbryan
Since the IPD name was brought up, I'm also glad the plenum buzz is hot. They say, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Competition is good and healthy, assuming nothing infringes on the IPD patent.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=YT2...age&q=&f=false

And to make the record clear, A.W.E. is not selling a "plenum" here. Our T shaped adapter is larger only to accommodate the larger throttle body. And it is our larger throttle body which is unleashing the majority of the power gains according to our research.

Champion's piece is a gorgeous, but it certainly seems to infringe on the IPD patent... We changed our original adapter design specifically to avoid that conflict. Do you guys have a licensing deal going on with them?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor
I love how this thread is trashed. What other vendor wants to come in here and say something cause they have CSS syndrome.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
I love how this thread is trashed. What other vendor wants to come in here and say something cause they have CSS syndrome.
We simply chimed in when you brought up the IPD brand having some competition... I think it's fair to have a response.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
I, for one, as a forum member, and an active patron of several 6Speed sponsors, greatly value this thread. Although I've already made decisions on which vendor(s) I choose not to do business with (the hard way), perhaps this thread will help other people make a less painful discovery.

Certain vendors will continue to shine, others will continue to spiral down an emotional vortex. IMHO, at the end of the day, it's the human element coupled with good products/services that wins. I think this thread is a great example of assessing the human element, along with a potential new product.

So my recommendation is to keep the thread open and available for comment.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Looks like Werks has a "Y" design. You should try to send them a Cease and Desist LOL.

Here is my personal experience with the 997TT IPD Plenum -

In reference to this dyno, didn't you state: "No matter how you look at it, the IPD did its job to a degree! We have these INSTOCK" in your thread:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...results-3.html

Old 09-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Former Vendor
I regret the wording, product, and testing. You see how that thread went. RSS gave the product to me. Greg who worked there at the time insisted there was something wrong, but no matter how many times I dynoed the car and tried it out, nothing. This is and still is not the only questionable incident with this type of product. So at the time because the product was free, he instructed me post up a "kosher" response. And I did. RSS/IPD and Vivid no longer have a relationship. Learning experience...

Last edited by vividracing; 09-23-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Former Vendor
...RSS/IPD no longer have a relationship....
Please clarify your statement, as RSS is the distributor of the IPD product line and we currently have a very good relationship...

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor
RSS is the manufacturer of IPD. Vivid Racing does not have a relationship with RSS/IPD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Plenum with Larger Throttle Body Testing