997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intake Plenum with Larger Throttle Body Testing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Intake Plenum with Larger Throttle Body Testing

A while back I started a thread about a new intake plenum using the Cayenne Turbo throttle body which is about 78mm instead of the stock 76mm. It got out of hand (Original Here), so I wanted to bring this topic back to life.

The point of a larger throttle body is to get in more air. The more air you bring in, the more power you make (with corresponding mods/tuning of course). Like on many cars from our teenage years, one of the mods people would do is bore out the throttle body. So what we have done is continued that original theory and developed a larger throttle body/plenum kit. The 997 Turbo's engine intake system works off pulses, so how that air is diverted to either side of the engine is not as important as the volume incoming.

Since vendor testing data is usually considered a bit warped, as well as my personal 997TT is not a good comparison for a stock driver, I wanted to GIVE ONE OF THESE FOR FREE to someone interested in giving real life data. Butt Dyno, PBox Numbers, Real Dyno. Of course if you are in Arizona, all this is free

If you are interested, just PM me. Then we can continue this thread with feedback, install pictures, and a review.

Here is a picture of the products just finished in our Fabrication Zone. We are sending them to powdercoat shortly.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM
xtremerider is infamous around these parts
iam interest ,more pic.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
welcome to 6speed all the way from China. what pictures do you need. please email me your contact info, picture of your car and mod list. Email is dan@vividracing.com

Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
TurboChris996tt is just really niceTurboChris996tt is just really niceTurboChris996tt is just really niceTurboChris996tt is just really nice
Looks exactly like IPD design,hmmmmm?? Any testing done on HP gains? Before a product is usually released you should have a lot of R&D on it, do you have any data to back it up? Please share.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the stock TB was 68mm? I have a 996NA TB on my car as an upgrade and it is 75mm.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboChris996tt
Looks exactly like IPD design,hmmmmm?? Any testing done on HP gains? Before a product is usually released you should have a lot of R&D on it, do you have any data to back it up? Please share.
Nah, the IPD is Y shaped.

Actually, the above part looks something like this:

We could not get past the ~680hp level without a larger throttle body when running with larger turbos. On stock turbos, we were limited to around 630hp with the stock throttle body on pump gas. A larger throttle body really does help free up power.

But it does indeed require special software programming as the idle and part throttle characteristics are drastically changed, resulting in stalling and hesitations if stock throttle body programming is used.

Dan, are you including special software with your throttle body package?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
If you wana get a feedback from hot claimt country im here
Not heavly moded 997TT but with the most bolts on in the market.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor
Thank you for the pictures Todd. We do have a Softronic flash available for those that are running the plenum, though it is not required. Yes this looks NOTHING like the IPD. The IPD you can see here.

dgreen - I measured the ID with calipers on both. Those are the numbers I got.

TurboChris - thanks for the business tip. I have done my R&D and have been running this plenum and throttle body in my car for quite a while. But I want to give one out for FREE for an independent test and review.

Last edited by vividracing; 09-15-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
You have an email.......please respond.

Originally Posted by TurboChris996tt

Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 AM
INA
INA is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vividracing
A while back I started a thread about a new intake plenum using the Cayenne Turbo throttle body which is about 78mm instead of the stock 76mm.
Not to doubt you or anything but are you sure 78mm?
I have mapped every single DBW throttle body ever produced by Siemens VDO & Bosch and nothing is showing up as 78mm.
Is this the opening @ the rear or the throttle plate?

Also I cant imagine that piece is very efficient for flow?

Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor
INA, as an enthusiast you have MAP every single Porsche throttle body?

The aluminum T Plenum is very efficient, it is just like the stock design incorporated with a larger inlet to match the CTT throttle body. You dont need any directional shape since the engine works off pulses.

So am I sure about the sizes, here you go.

Attached Images   
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM
INA
thanks

Last edited by INA; 09-16-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor
If you do not have a 997 Turbo or not interested in this product, then I appreciate you keeping your business related posts out of this topic.

The throttle body is a stock Cayenne Twin Turbo. Since you are the king, look it up.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM
INA
Sorry did not mean to step on anyones toes.
My post was simply for knowledge purposes not commerical intent.
Hope this product does well for you.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
With all do respect, IB..Admin, I think this a free country and everyone is entitled to state their opinions. So, if a person asks to see data, there is nothing wrong with that. I buy merchandise from Vivid myself but I do ask questions and make sure I buy a good product. Would you buy a pair of turbos that have no data backing them up, very simple.

Last edited by art4iza; 09-16-2009 at 10:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Plenum with Larger Throttle Body Testing