997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Damptronic Bilstein Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 PM
hedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nicehedgehog17 is just really nice
Damptronic Bilstein Question

Dear friends - please advise. I installed damptronic bilstein and decreased the height by -5mm front and -10mm rear (in comp to stock). i am pretty happy with the set up - it just behaves perfect on the highway. Although its pretty tough in the city - and i decided to look into the suspension underneath - i went to the service, jack up the car and realized that the small coil (presumably the soft one) is almost fully squeezed. coming from basic logic i think it does not work properly and that is the reason for the car being too harsh. could you please share your experience and views on the matter - i mean how much the soft coil shall be squeezed and what do you think the reason for the harsh movements in suspension.
thanks!
Vad

Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Z06
Z06 is infamous around these parts
That is normal...you can get a stiffer helper or tender spring which will help with daily driving...175 front and 250 back range...your best bet is to call Bilstein NA directly for what to do.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Yes that is the way they are supposed to be.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:02 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Normal for helper springs to be fully compressed at static load.

Re. stiffness issue, as mentioned on rennteam, before going anything further, it would help to know what your tire pressures are.
1. Is your car set at "partial load"?
2. When you check the differential pressure reading, does it read +0 at all 4 corners?
Also, I am assuming you are still on original stock tires?

Originally Posted by hedgehog17
Dear friends - please advise. I installed damptronic bilstein and decreased the height by -5mm front and -10mm rear (in comp to stock). i am pretty happy with the set up - it just behaves perfect on the highway. Although its pretty tough in the city - and i decided to look into the suspension underneath - i went to the service, jack up the car and realized that the small coil (presumably the soft one) is almost fully squeezed. coming from basic logic i think it does not work properly and that is the reason for the car being too harsh. could you please share your experience and views on the matter - i mean how much the soft coil shall be squeezed and what do you think the reason for the harsh movements in suspension.
thanks!
Vad

Last edited by cannga; 09-26-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Note: if you have different front and rear drops then it changes the nose angle of your car and has a big affect on handling.

I have tried -20mm and currently have -15mm. I still think -15mm is too harsh for bumpy roads, but the car will sag over time (should level off after about 8k miles or so) therefore I plan on re-measuring mine in a few weeks and raising it back to -15mm front and back again. This should allow the dampeners more travel and have a softer ride.

The other thing to watch out for is that your tuner measured the ride heights from the correct locations under the car. Measuring relative drops from fenders is wildly inaccurate.

Here's where mine is currently (CG test3):

Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Normal, don't worry about it.