997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone own both GT3 and TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 PM
pvgolfer is infamous around these parts
Anyone own both GT3 and TT?

<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the good information provided through 6speed. I've been looking for a 997.1 GT3 and while shopping, heard about the great deals on new 09 997 turbos. It looks like I can get a one of the few remaining new 997TTs for about $110k ($140k MSRP). That seems to be a really good discount on a turbo with the last of the reliable race-bred engine. I expect the 2010 TT (with a new unproven engine) to be selling in the $130k+ territory once they are released for sale. New 2010 GT3s are available for 3-5% discount.

Alternatively, preowned 997.1 GT3s are going for 85-95k (MSRP ranges from $110-140k). The GT3s typically have low mileage <10k miles, and are in good condition, they can be CPO'ed for an extra $2k extending their warranty out to 2013 (comparable to a new 09 TT).

I've driven both cars and definitely appreciate each one's character. The tight/precise feel of the GT3 vs the turbo with its more more refined feel - lot's of power with nice amenities/comfort for daily driving.

I don't want to start another GT3 vs TT thread. I've spent the whole weekend reading up on that never-ending argument.

What I would like to hear is opinions from people who have owned BOTH cars and have put at least 1000 miles on BOTH types of cars (street and/or track driving). I'm coming off of a 997S which I tracked about 10% of the time. I plan on tracking my new car - be it GT3 or TT, at the same rate 10%. Probably 4x per year at PCA events and various clubs. I know the TT will be a good car that will last a long time. But the GT3 will be more fun and "pure" porsche in the short term - and is currently 20k less expensive for the preowned ones.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
you may send a pm to member OmahaGT which owns the two, moded, and track them two too.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:28 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am almost there . Considering trade in on my modded PDK car as a gt3 came available that caught my interest. Still trying to figure out how practical this may be or if this modded PDK really is the right car for the street over the Gt3 .

I'll come back to this thread .

Old 09-28-2009, 06:46 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Larry, I'd keep the 997s as a better street car.
PVG, I'd pm Eclou, he's had both.
My biased opinion would be to get the turbo....
GL
C

Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I never owned a 997TT, but did have a 996TT then later a 997 GT3. I think most would agree that while the 997TT is more powerful than the 996TT, their characters are similar. That said, I much preferred the GT3 - the car's feel, sound, steering, power-band and response, clutch, shifter, looks.. basically everything.

Even though it's not Turbo-powerful, The GT3's certainly no slouch. The Turbo's mid-range thrust is impressive, but the way the GT3 pulls from the mid-range is so satisfying, so natural. The engine pulls harder and harder as revs increase.. the way most expect a motor to behave. And the sound.. there's really no comparison.

If you want that motor-sport, mechanical-type feel, the GT3 is the one you want. The Turbos are fast GT cars.. the power is great, but they miss the mark in other areas. Are they better daily drivers? Sure, but - in stock form, at least - they're not as much of a 'special car'.

Last edited by Rob; 09-28-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
[quote=Rob;2558165]I never owned a 997TT, but did have a 996TT then later a 997 GT3. I think most would agree that while the 997TT is more powerful than the 996TT, their characters are similar. That said, I much preferred the GT3 - the car's feel, sound, steering, power-band and response, clutch, shifter, looks.. basically everything.

how does the Gt3 compare to your F430? any impressions?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by vbmw335
how does the Gt3 compare to your F430? any impressions?
Sure. First off, I really liked the GT3, I only got rid of it for the 430.

Some quick thoughts..

Acceleration - both cars pull hard up top, but the 430 pulls noticeably harder in the low/mid-range. With 0.7 liter more displacement, it should. Ultimately, the 430 is faster IMO. Subjectively, accelerating in the Ferrari is more exhilarating. The sound, the engine response, the chassis response.. it raises you heart rate more than the GT3.. the car feels alive.

Transmission - well, this is kind of a tossup. The GT3's shifter is tight and solid, no real complaints (some would say it's a little too heavy, though). The GT3's trans shifts well too, no problems. The 430's gated shifter is more special to use and looks fantastic. However, the shift throws are longer (but not bad), and the trans does not shift as well.. i.e. it can be notchy. However, at high rpm it shifts smoothly - actually as good if not better than the GT3. Ultimately though, I'd say the GT3's works better overall. The clutches in both cars work well.. smooth with good feel. The Ferrari's clutch is lighter.

Handling - The GT3's low, firm, track inspired chassis feels more connected to the road, which I liked. Of course, it rides harder too, but certainly street-able. However, the mid-engine 430 has beautiful balance, there's none of the GT3's tail heavy feel. The 430 corners effortlessly. It's probably a similar comparison that Cayman owners make to the 911. The GT3 does understeer a lot, which I didn't care for.
- Note: my experience is at sane street driving speeds, not 9/10 track work. I'm not a track guy. Some may ask why I wanted the GT3 if I don't track, well it was for the feel, the sound, the motor, etc.. i.e. character.. all way above a standard 911.

Steering - Both have nice steering systems. The 430's is probably a bit sharper when in race mode. The GT3's has less of a power-boosted feeling, plus a bit more heft and road feel. I did like the GT3's Alcantara covering.

Sound - Both cars sound great, but IMO the 430 sounds better. The GT3 has the sweeter tone, the 430 the more aggressive. Yet, the 430 sounds good over a broader rpm range (plus it's louder and pops a bit when lifting off the throttle), whereas the GT3 sounds its best up top. I'm sure a rear muffler delete helps, though (GMG, Sharkwerks, etc.)

Looks - no comparison.. 430

Interior - the 430's is sharper looking, though the Porsche's interior is very nice and very well built (in certain ways, better built than the Ferrari's). The Ferrari smells better.

Overall build quality/solidity - The GT3.. it's rock solid. The Ferrari's pretty solid too, but not like the GT3. Traversing inclines, the GT3 doesn't make a peep. Also, the GT3's doors shut more solidly (though, not like Porsches of old). The Porsche is as well made as one could really ask for, no complaints. The Ferrari has more of a hand made finish to it, but it's nice.

Sense of occasion - the 430.. it's a special experience that 'normal' cars just can't duplicate. Walking up to it, getting in it, the view over the fenders, just being in it.. all unique. Not that I really care, but the GT3 rarely caught a passers-by attention.. people stop and look at the 430, take photos, etc. If anything, it's nice seeing them excited to see one in person. I know I was when I didn't have one.

Last edited by Rob; 09-29-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:13 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Thanks, that's an excellent and honest review. I test drove a Gt3 and F430 last week, i echo your thoughts. is reliability a concern with the ferrari? Also an F1 shifter might make it better, i know its subjective.

Last edited by vbmw335; 09-30-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rob
Sure. First off, I really liked the GT3, I only got rid of it for the 430.

Some quick thoughts..

Acceleration - both cars pull hard up top, but the 430 pulls noticeably harder in the low/mid-range. With 0.7 liter more displacement, it should. Ultimately, the 430 is faster IMO. Subjectively, accelerating in the Ferrari is more exhilarating. The sound, the engine response, the chassis response.. it raises you heart rate more than the GT3.. the car feels alive.

Transmission - well, this is kind of a tossup. The GT3's shifter is tight and solid, no real complaints (some would say it's a little too heavy, though). The GT3's trans shifts well too, no problems. The 430's gated shifter is more special to use and looks fantastic. However, the shift throws are longer (but not bad), and the trans does not shift as well.. i.e. it can be notchy. However, at high rpm it shifts smoothly - actually as good if not better than the GT3. Ultimately though, I'd say the GT3's works better overall. The clutches in both cars work well.. smooth with good feel. The Ferrari's clutch is lighter.

Handling - The GT3's low, firm, track inspired chassis feels more connected to the road, which I liked. Of course, it rides harder too, but certainly street-able. However, the mid-engine 430 has beautiful balance, there's none of the GT3's tail heavy feel. The 430 corners effortlessly. It's probably a similar comparison that Cayman owners make to the 911. The GT3 does understeer a lot, which I didn't care for.
- Note: my experience is at sane street driving speeds, not 9/10 track work. I'm not a track guy. Some may ask why I wanted the GT3 if I don't track, well it was for the feel, the sound, the motor, etc.. i.e. character.. all way above a standard 911.

Steering - Both have nice steering systems. The 430's is probably a bit sharper when in race mode. The GT3's has less of a power-boosted feeling, plus a bit more heft and road feel. I did like the GT3's Alcantara covering.

Sound - Both cars sound great, but IMO the 430 sounds better. The GT3 has the sweeter tone, the 430 the more aggressive. Yet, the 430 sounds good over a broader rpm range (plus it's louder and pops a bit when lifting off the throttle), whereas the GT3 sounds its best up top. I'm sure a rear muffler delete helps, though (GMG, Sharkwerks, etc.)

Looks - no comparison.. 430

Interior - the 430's is sharper looking, though the Porsche's interior is very nice and very well built (in certain ways, better built than the Ferrari's). The Ferrari smells better.

Overall build quality/solidity - The GT3.. it's rock solid. The Ferrari's pretty solid too, but not like the GT3. Traversing inclines, the GT3 doesn't make a peep. Also, the GT3's doors shut more solidly (though, not like Porsches of old). The Porsche is as well made as one could really ask for, no complaints. The Ferrari has more of a hand made finish to it, but it's nice.

Sense of occasion - the 430.. it's a special experience that 'normal' cars just can't duplicate. Walking up to it, getting in it, the view over the fenders, just being in it.. all unique. Not that I really care, but the GT3 rarely caught a passers-by attention.. people stop and look at the 430, take photos, etc. If anything, it's nice seeing them excited to see one in person. I know I was when I didn't have one.
any reliability or service issues with the F430? sales rep states; they are very reliable now and can be driven daily even the Scuderia (the one i asked about) TIA for reply

Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I have owned a 996tt and now the 997tt. These cars are great for gobbs or torque and blistering straight line acceleration. But, it takes a lot of work to make the suspension right to make it handle somewhat like a GT3. The turbo is refined and can be a good daily driver if necessary.

If you want a real raw sports car feel and experience, the GT3 is the way to go. Nothing beats the sound of a well modded flat 6 NA motor screaming to redline. The natural feel of the clutch and the track ready suspension from the factory. Although it might not be as fast as the 997tt, the driving experience surely makes up for it. I'm hoping that my next purchase will be the new GT3RS.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Having spent the whole weekend reading, I am sure you realize by now the answer depends so much on your personal use of the car & what you are looking for in a car. There could never be a universal truth.

Every car, including the great F430, has a weakness. You will have to "pick your poison." I own a Turbo with Bilstein and one day drove back to back the following cars, each for 15-20 minutes (REAL test drive to red line and up to 100 mph, not just a "dealer" test drive): Ferrari F430, Lambo Gallardo, Ford GT, Turbo stock, and Turbo with Bilstein.
The F430 is by far the most beautiful of the group, with fantastic chassis feedback and steering feel (a little too light, I prefer the Porsche GT2 steering feel). However... during the whole drive, I felt the torque is missing in action compared to the Turbo or the Lambo. Even driving above 5000 rpm pretty much the whole time, I felt unsatisfied because of this void in the torque curve.

I am sure at the track the car is fantastic, and that power is more linear, but on the street, for me the F430 leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to power. Running the engine at 5000 rpm is not that much fun outside of the track. In fact I would easily pick the Lambo LP Gallardo over the F430 because of that tremendous V10 engine and the exhaust howl .

I used to think a Ferrari is a must-try once in a lifetime; I now no longer have that wish. I feel that a Turbo with stiffened suspension yields very very little to any of the above cars, street or track.
Some members of this forum take their Turbo's to the track very often. If you ask them how often they get passed on the track, outside of maybe the GT2, I think the answer will be, not often. (And now with the arrival of the PDK Turbo with torque vectoring --> I think the Turbo is not a car to mess with anywhere. )

How could you reconcile my experience with that of so many Ferrari's owners, or yours? You can't. It's a personal decision, depends on what you are looking for and how you use the car. That's why some Turbo owners look to have a GT3 as a second car. And that's why GT3 owners forever wish to reduce weight or to have more power in their track monsters.

For pure track, yes, GT3. For street with track of only 10%, I am afraid it will be a tough tough decision no matter what people tell you.

Last edited by cannga; 09-30-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Nico is infamous around these partsNico is infamous around these parts
currently have a 996 gt3 and 997 turbo. PM what you need to know...

Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
My PDK 997S car is modded to near gt3 Hp but it isn't one . It seems like the most pure 911 will be the gt3 . It can never take anything away from the turbo . it can compliment it though . The turbo's low level flying sensation is one of the best experiences I can describe .

It was post number 52 posted by a gt3 owner which convinced me to re examinew my views on the PDK car in search of a gt3 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...estions-4.html

Old 10-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Rob
Originally Posted by vbmw335
Thanks, that's an excellent and honest review. I test drove a Gt3 and F430 last week, i echo your thoughts. is reliability a concern with the ferrari? Also an F1 shifter might make it better, i know its subjective.
I don't think reliability is a major concern with the 430. But it isn't basic transportation, it has a lot of technology so things can go wrong. It's best if you live within 50 miles of a dealer. The only ongoing problem (355 and latter cars) is leaking headers. The '08 430's supposedly have a better design, but who knows.

Many 430's have been trouble free. Mine had some teething problems - noisy shifter (fixed), dead battery from sitting (not really the car's fault), on again/off again cold start e-diff warning light (bad sensor or something) - but runs strong otherwise.

I had clutch problems with two of my 911's, so Porsche isn't immune. You just have to be prepared for problems with any of these cars.

Regarding the F1 shifter.. I prefer the manual, so I didn't consider the F1. If anything, the F1 shifter is more prone to problems than the manual; there's the pump to worry about, electronics, etc. But they are normally fine.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Rob
Originally Posted by 997tt RS 2.7
any reliability or service issues with the F430? sales rep states; they are very reliable now and can be driven daily even the Scuderia (the one i asked about) TIA for reply
As I said above, the cars are generally reliable, but problems can arise. Yes, the Scuderia can be daily driven, but it's probably not the best idea. Unless you have enough money that you can treat it like a beater, parking it anywhere/anytime would worry most owners. Not to mention, the attention these cars get would likely get tiring on a truly daily basis.

Not sure what you're asking about regarding 'sales rep states'.