997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Damptronics question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Damptronics question

My stock shocks are done, looking at some billsteins.
What is the difference between B16 'spor't version and the 'comfort' version?

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 10-02-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
all i could find would tell me that there is one set up, and that with our electronic adjustable suspension you can switch between comfort and sport

dont know if this is right, all of the bilstein stuff i saw was in german

below is a thread with some suspension recs via sharkwerkes, just an opinion:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ronic-gt3.html

all the best TT surgeon...

Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
What is the diference between B16 'spor't version and the 'comfort' version?
GA5-D598 Sportfahrwerk B16 damptronic, VA+HA 15-35mm CLUBSPORT/ P97 C4 / Turbo 1
Sportsuspension B16 damptronic, FA+RA 15-35mm CLUBSPORT/
Only for cars with PASM!

GA5-D581 Sportfahrwerk B16 damptronic, VA 25-35mm, HA 15-35mm / P97 C4 / Turbo 1
Sportsuspension B16 damptronic, FA 25-35mm, RA 15-35mm /
Only for cars with PASM!

<o></o>

The 3<sup>rd</sup> listing are the D598’s (which I have fitted to my car), the last list is the D581. I would recommend -15mm drop front and rear for the D598's, any more than this and you will be losing teeth

Last edited by Alex_997TT; 10-02-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:39 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Thanks Alex, just what I needed to know.
What sets are the US vendors usually selling, many have told me that there is only one version (false)?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Thanks Alex, just what I needed to know.
What sets are the US vendors usually selling, many have told me that there is only one version (false)?
I just called Bilstein NA to verify. The F4-GA5-D598 is what is sold specifically for the U.S. market 997TT's, and yes, that is the "clubsport" setup. The D581's are what Bilstein NA uses on the C4S cars. So technically you could use the D581's as they will fit, but they are softer.

For what you use your car for, I would not recommend the D581's at all.

We have coupled those with H&R coilovers on our in house car.

It's a great set up for double duty cars.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Nice one Mike - I also wondered about that, thanks for confirming with Bilstein.

Hey whilst we are on topic. Ride heights for B16's dictate how much travel they have in the dampeners and thus how hard/soft the ride is.

Those D598's I have fitted, I set mine to the minimum drop of -15mm. However as the new suspension has settled (read sagged) I have been able to adjust the dampeners back up at least 10mm and still be at -15mm from stock (in red below) with the ride softening each time:

F=132 +/-10 --> 117 mm<o></o>
R=153 +/-10 --> 138 mm

So my question is, are the Bilstein recommended drop range more to do with car dynamics or are they more to do with dampener travel ie. you shouldn't set the dampener to have too much travel in them... I am just wondering if I can keep repeating this procedure over time (obviously they will plateau at some point) and make the suspension softer each time without going past any Bilstein thresholds?<o>
</o>

Last edited by Alex_997TT; 10-02-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
Nice one Mike - I also wondered about that, thanks for confirming with Bilstein.

Hey whilst we are on topic. Ride heights for B16's dictate how much travel they have in the dampeners and thus how hard/soft the ride is.

Those D598's I have fitted, I set mine to the minimum drop of -15mm. However as the new suspension has settled (read sagged) I have been able to adjust the dampeners back up at least 10mm and still be at -15mm from stock (in red below) with the ride softening each time:

F=132 +/-10 --> 117 mm<O></O>
R=153 +/-10 --> 138 mm

So my question is, are the Bilstein recommended drop range more to do with car dynamics or are they more to do with dampener travel ie. you shouldn't set the dampener to have too much travel in them... I am just wondering if I can keep repeating this procedure over time (obviously they will plateau at some point) and make the suspension softer each time without going past any Bilstein thresholds?

<O>></O>>
The valve stack of a dampening adjustable coilover are taller then a non-adjustable coilover. Set the height too low and you run the risk of the stack bottoming out.

Damper travel...

Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
What is the difference between B16 'spor't version and the 'comfort' version?
An OT question. How many miles did your stock shocks last with lowering springs? I'm thinking about doing springs but don't want to break my stock shocks down the road and end up having to do coilovers anyway.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 AM
But I want it softer ie. higher ride height, not lower (so no chance of stack bottoming out). I find -15mm still too harsh for bumpy UK B-roads. And I don't want to go higher than -15mm if I can as it also helps the center of gravity and thus handling.

So I want to know if I can keep adjusting the B16's upwards whilst my car sags downwards, thus keeping the same ride height - and it not damaging the B16's in the process...

Last edited by Alex_997TT; 10-02-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:47 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Chris, I believe Bilstein has additional spring choices compatible with the Damptronics if you are looking for something more track ready. I'd give'em a call.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bbywu
Chris, I believe Bilstein has additional spring choices compatible with the Damptronics if you are looking for something more track ready. I'd give'em a call.
They really don't offer choices, but in their technical drawings there is an acceptable range where you can go either up or down on the spring rate. IIRC, the spread is 135Nm.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Former Vendor
So I want to know if I can keep adjusting the B16's upwards whilst my car sags downwards, thus keeping the same ride height - and it not damaging the B16's in the process...
Ok, I thought you were asking about what happens when you go to low.

Bilstein's recommended drop and ideal operating range for the Damptronics are as follows:

F: 10-30mm
R: 5-25mm

Old 10-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Err no Mike I believe those values you just posted are incorrect - see my screenshot at the top of this mail from the Bilstein site. The recommended range is -15mm to -35mm for the D598's. Unless you know the unofficial ranges.

So my question was is that range for dampener travel reasons (which I suspect the -35mm is so you don't get bottoming out) or for car dynamic reasons (which I would expect the -15mm is).

Last edited by Alex_997TT; 10-02-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor
Err no Mike I believe those values you just posted are incorrect - see my screenshot at the top of this mail from the Bilstein site. The recommended range is -15mm to -35mm for the D598's.

So my question was is that range for dampener travel reasons (which I suspect the -35mm is so you don't get bottoming out) or for car dynamic reasons (which I would expect the -15mm is).
I had already spoken to Keith in the North Carolina offices. Those specs are right from his mouth to that post.

You are in the UK, so I would not be surprised if the specs are different for ROW applications. The U.S. market is unique and it is not uncommon at all for Bilstein parts to have varying specs.

What I should have done is clarifed and said that those were for U.S. spec kits sold here in the States.

I understand where you are coming from now. The answer to your question is both.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks Mike. I find it odd that for the same car and parts that Bilstein specify 2 different ranges on this web sites depending on what continent you are in. Those 15-35 specs were from the European International Bilstein site.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Damptronics question