997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Clutch pedal almost floored, no disengagement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:15 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Clutch pedal almost floored, no disengagement

In the past few days, the weather in Utah has turned. I noticed the clutch was engaging much lower and the pedal wouldn't fully rebound. This happened more and more when the car was cold. This morning, the clutch was all but two inches off the floor, and wouldn't go into gear from idle/nuetral. Porsche roadside picked it up and took it to me dealer and am waiting to get word.

Has anyone ever experienced this symptom? car has 25000 Miles and is mechanically stock besides tires.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
sad reality is yes, a lot of us have experienced this. mine did it at 12k

Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Clutch slave problem? Let us know what they find out.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gmoney
sad reality is yes, a lot of us have experienced this. mine did it at 12k
Can you describe what the mechanical defect is and what the remedy is?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
It's the clutch slave, I'm on my 2nd one already. First one went bad at 800 miles, and the 2nd one started to push fluid back out the reservoir last month at 4500 miles. Porsche apparently came out with a new clutch slave. I got the new part installed 2 weeks back, and so far so good. But the clutch does feel different than before when I step on it now.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
How would you describe the difference in feel? Please post the part number for the updated slave cylinder.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by landjet
How would you describe the difference in feel? Please post the part number for the updated slave cylinder.
It almost feels like the pedal is going down against a bunch of tabs like when you're tightening a zip tie, but only you feel it through the pedal. And the faster/harder I depress the pedal, the more pronounced it is. But if I depress the pedal nice and slow or if the car is off then it doesn't do it. And the pedal is slightly heavier than before, no change to the vague engagement point though.

I just compared my service orders, they both show 996-116-237-52 as the part number. But I actually went back to the dealer after I got the car back this time because of the difference in pedal feel. I was talking to the tech who worked on my car for a while, and he assured me a few times that the part is completely different than the old part.

Last edited by nevert00fast; 10-05-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
thanks for all the input. I'll be providing this to my dealer for review. Please post up anything else you think would be useful for my tech to see. The senior tech there is one of the best, and the mid level guys have been around for a while too, so I suspect they know the problem perfectly, but you never know.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:20 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
is this a warranty issue?

is there a recall?

Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 AM
It's covered under warranty, but no recall. Seems like it happens quite often that there should be one for it though.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
tyounker is infamous around these parts
clutch problem

This exact scenario just happend to me. The car is at the local dealership now, sure hope its only the slave. Does anyone know if Porsche has developed a better part to fix this problem?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
There were three cars at my local dealer with this issue, mine is still not fixed either, its losing fluid but no leaks on the floor. Im holding off until a fix exists and I get firm data backing it.

The tech told me straight out the Porsche guys want the cars turned around asap to avoid lemon laws as its happened numerous times in the last 3-4 months. There should be a recall on this, absolutely.

The other day my clutch was rock hard, needed fluid. I limped to the dealer and had them top it up, all was well.

Where is the fluid going??? Kind of scary and alarming. Is there something we can complain to the feds about as clearly its a danger to some degree and force a recall that way? Sounds extreme sure, but not to those who are dealing with this 2 or 3 times.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I believe you have to report it to the DOT. They have a problem reporting section that handles this. Go to their website.