997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is PCCB worth the extra 9K?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
BTW --I have seen the yellow dial and belts. Looks nice on black with carbon if that's the style you are looking for.

thanks for posting this pciture, yes, yellow dial, maybe with black/gray interior

Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
This is where I take issue with claims of endurance of PCCBs. I'm at the track about as much, have two and a half seasons on my car, and 25,000 miles, yet I've haven't replaced any brake components. Fade was a problem the first few days but a set of $80 SS brake lines cleared that problem right up.
How long does PCCB last under normal daily use, non aggressive driving. And how much is the replacement cost compare to the regular(at almost 9K less)

Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 AM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdc
How long does PCCB last under normal daily use, non aggressive driving. And how much is the replacement cost compare to the regular(at almost 9K less)
I don't know exact figures, but can tell you under normal driving conditions, if you plan to keep the car a while, they're well worth it. They cost several times more to service, replace pads, and rotors, but are worth it. If you track, I believe they're far worse.

Run a google search and you'll see all the problems they've had. The manufacturer tried to correct it but never could.

Track => bad
Daily driving => awsome

Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Not enough data for "how long," all we know is that it's north of 50,000-75,000 miles, perhaps as high as 100,000 plus, for the latest generation of PCCB. It should be noted that a lot of problems with PCCB were reported with the first generation. Second gen. PCCB has a significantly better reliability history, as long as you are not tracking the car. As a rough estimate of how incredibly long lasting PCCB brake is with normal street use, check and see how many people report replacing it on these forums. Close to zero.

Replacement cost is near prohibitive for most moderately rich people -- around 4k per rotor, so what you do is get PCCB just so you could taste what the best that Porsche could offer, and then change to Brembo if/when you need replacement. Bottom line, even if you are so extremely unlucky as to have PCCB fail on you (very very very very rare for normal street usage -- I have not seen one report), it's not the end of the world.

The 2 very significant advantages of PCCB are reduction of unsprung weight and initial bite. (Look them up if you don't know what I am talking about; there are numerous threads on this.) Brake dust and esthetic advantages are also important but secondary.
Subjectively, you WILL feel a difference between the 2. Objectively, stopping distance is the same as Big Red because tire traction is limiting factor. Stopping distance is a test that measures from x mph to zero, say 100 mph to zero; if you are to do a test of time between 100 mph to 80 mph, I suspect it WILL show PCCB to be better as IMO it represents that "intial bite."

Bottom line: If you could afford it, get it -- it's the real thing and one of those "must try once in lifetime" things. LOL. Someone sums it up best when he wrote: An unnecessary, but amazing, luxury.

Last edited by cannga; 10-07-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911dev
His Brembos are an upgrade.

PCCBs can be a problem for track junkies. Many track guys remove them in favor of the irons. Novice drivers have to be aware that the rears may heat up more from TC/PSM working overtime.

brembos are not an upgrade on a 997 TT, the factory red caliper has "brembo" in raised letters right on it

Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
mdc
Originally Posted by cannga
Bottom line: If you could afford it, get it -- it's the real thing and one of those "must try once in lifetime" things. LOL. Someone sums it up best when he wrote: An unnecessary, but amazing, luxury.
; D, that is the same way I feel about getting the turbo. I doubt I will put more than 12K/yr as I live pretty close to work. If it can last up to 100K miles, that is about 8/9 years. If I start saving up now, I should have money to change the brakes...

Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by handdoc
brembos are not an upgrade on a 997 TT, the factory red caliper has "brembo" in raised letters right on it

Doc - what they are referring to is the BBK (Brembo Big Brake) upgrade kit. This is an aftermarket upgrade that some folks (trackers and the like) go with.

http://goapr.com/products/brake_brembo_c5a6.html

Old 10-07-2009, 12:20 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by handdoc

Yes, I know that they are Brembos. I couldn't miss the big white letters which actually read 'PORSCHE' (even though they are not "raised") against the red calipers on all three of my 997 911s. So, like I previously said "his Brembo's are an upgrade". Whether Yrralis upgraded his brakes or not (although, I am fairly confident that he did), I do realize that Brembo's are standard on the turbo, not to exclude other 911 variants.

My point was that Yrralis' car has aftermarket Brembo brakes, which are bigger and better than what is OEM on the turbo.

Last edited by 911dev; 10-08-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Big reds are all you need on the street or the track.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Big reds are all you need on the street or the track.

+1. big reds performed well for me on the track. And that was at over 100 degrees during a very hot day.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 PM
FSU-997TT is infamous around these parts
I regret not getting them.....after washing or even a light drizzle.....the steel rotors rust over in about 20 seconds....then you drive and the next time you brake...it spins rust inside the wheel barrels.....and there goes the wheel detail.

Anyone want to switch?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by NeilM
+1. big reds performed well for me on the track. And that was at over 100 degrees during a very hot day.
maybe I will see you down town sometime, i know there is a 996 TT down by Villa st.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:11 AM
bonfire is just really nicebonfire is just really nicebonfire is just really nicebonfire is just really nice
Interesting points of view. I would have never thought about the aesthetics of them. I am a bit surprised to hear that the PCCB's are not fantastic for tracking. Considering that is what they were designed for.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911dev
His Brembos are an upgrade.

PCCBs can be a problem for track junkies. Many track guys remove them in favor of the irons. Novice drivers have to be aware that the rears may heat up more from TC/PSM working overtime.
You are correct. They are also a problem on any car 200 Hp above stock . Both the steel stock brakes as well as the PCCB are designed for stock Hp. Any of thse brakes do stop the car but not all will stop it as smoothly, efficiently , and safely.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Any idea on how they ordered the SC dial in yellow? Same dealer and it was missed on this car:
That car has a lot of dealership upgrades added . It has even more now as i saw it today. The seat backs were painted black and the silver hooks on the seat backs are now yellow. It looks amazing . Also on the gear boot it has yellow trim and the floor mats also have a yellow stripe .

Correction Edit -- There are two cars with yellow dials and I may have confused them . they are both black cabs and have similar interiors. The one I saw today is a Turbo and the car in the picture is a C4S , Both cars have a ton of cosmetic interior upgrades and the Turbo I think belongs to someone already . Not sure though .

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-08-2009 at 02:19 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is PCCB worth the extra 9K?