997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

RACE for TIRES - MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE (modified) vs. 997 TURBO (stock)...should I???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:52 AM
pgunz is infamous around these parts
RACE for TIRES - MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE (modified) vs. 997 TURBO (stock)...should I???

my friend has in his garage a 2002 mitsubishi eclipse GST (front wheel drive turbo). he told me he modified the engine and also the turbo and intercooler.
He's running a Garrett t3/t4 hybrid turbo, upgraded 3" piping front mount intercooler. He wants to race me for a set of brand new tires. I really dont know what else he is running besides what I just mentioned. Do you think his car could take me on the 1/4 mile? or track? I am just stock turbo. you think i got a good shot? I'm an above average driver. I know my car pretty well. Race is this weekend. Let me know guys. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:40 AM
2SCOOPS is infamous around these parts
If it's a drag race and he's heavily modified you better be prepared to come out of pocket. We have 3 or 4 of them around here running well into the 11's and a couple running in the 9's. You should be able to tell what he's capable of by what tires he's running. They don't hook well so if he is that quick he'll have a slick on the front or an MT radial. Those cars aren't going to get you out of the hole with a regular street tires.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
He is asking to race you, he knows you are stock, and you know he is modified but don't really know specifics about his mods. A set of his tires are far cheaper than a set of your tires. I would say he feels pretty confident, either based on first-hand experience of published times, that he will beat you. So why throw your money away on a meaningless race?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Agreed, what's the point of racing some drag car?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Pointless race. Nothing for you to gain. I used to own many modded imports and all I can tell you is that those cars can be modified to do some seriously quick 1/4 times.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
1sleeper is infamous around these parts1sleeper is infamous around these parts
He wins, he "smoked a Porsche 997tt". You win, "you smoked a Mitsubishi Eclipse". Waste of gas.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1sleeper
He wins, he "smoked a Porsche 997tt". You win, "you smoked a Mitsubishi Eclipse". Waste of gas.
You win, "you smoked a Mitsubishi Eclipse" and get a set of expensive tires. But it sounds like you're being set up.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM
JS1967 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like a set up to me too. Why not race for fun?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
That car isn't even in the same league.

Don't disgrace your car or yourself.

How dare you mention eclipse and Porsche in the same sentence.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2SCOOPS
If it's a drag race and he's heavily modified you better be prepared to come out of pocket. We have 3 or 4 of them around here running well into the 11's and a couple running in the 9's. You should be able to tell what he's capable of by what tires he's running. They don't hook well so if he is that quick he'll have a slick on the front or an MT radial. Those cars aren't going to get you out of the hole with a regular street tires.

^Absolutely correct. Don't waste your time; he'll more then likely smoke you if he hooks out of the hole. Those dsm's are no joke out of the hole.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
Buy a tune real fast!!! Then race him...hehe...

Otherwise, I'm curious to know what motor he has? I still think you will beat him? Do you have AWD? What tires does he run? Does he have Drag radials?

-Nathan

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Drag racing is lame. Tell him that you'll race on the track.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:30 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like he's got the bait on the hook, all that's left to do is cast. Don't be that fish.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:44 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
You'll lose the drag race. Just give him a set of tires.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Without knowing what the full list of modifications is, you have no idea what you are getting into. He does since you are stock. Don't do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RACE for TIRES - MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE (modified) vs. 997 TURBO (stock)...should I???