997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Laps Nurburgring 10 Seconds Faster than Predecessor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Quentin
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but the new 911 turbo did not do a 7:27. Far from it.
Hey nub, in case you didn't notice, Porsche has performance tires too. Ones that are much faster than standard Bridgestone Potenzas. I'm sure you searched long and hard for that, but you fail once again.

I don't buy into the internet article hype, so we'll see what the car does in real life, however even a 7:39 on regular street tires compared to the hybrid tires that the ZR-1, GT3 and GT-R (faster than R888) run, still looking pretty promising.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
"Your kids would have to be thin, but then they would be, because you drive a Porsche, so you'd have a thin wife." - Jeremy Clarkson on the issue of kids in the back seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDh04HvtZs

Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GTDeux
That's pretty funny.

I thought they were admitted for poisoning from bull feces exposure.
That could be. Perhaps there is some exotic bacteria in the bull feces that has an affinity for noses. Or it could be a growth homone that is fed to the bulls that passes in the feces and stimulates nose growth.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
If automobile manufacturers were held to the same standards that researchers in the field of academia are held to, Nissan's BS would have been exposed long ago. For example, Nissan claims that a stock GTR lapped the 'ring at 7:27. Scientists make a claim by submitting a research article to a peer reviewed scientific journal. Basically, the researchers say they did such and such and got these results in the article. In order for other scientists to believe the results, the folks submitting the article have to explain in detail what they did in the study so that other scientists, if they chose to do so, could replicate the study. If others replicate the study but can't get the same results, the claims made by the scientists submitting the research article are in great doubt. An example would be cold fusion. No one else could get the same results, not even the guys making the initial claim, so, it has been dismissed. In a sense, this has been done with Nissan's claim regarding the GTR's laptime at the 'ring. Others have attempted to replicate Suzuki's time and no one can do it. Even more interesting, those who have tried to replicate Nissan's claim get lap times similar to each other, but don't come close to Nissan's claim. So, Nissan fails. We don't believe you. Give us a car that we can go over with a fine tooth comb, one that dynos at 480 hp with our independent testing, that can lap the 'ring at 7:27, and we will believe you. Simple as that.

We believe the times submitted by Porsche or Chevrolet because independent testers have come close to or equalled the times submitted by those manufacturers. Really, the only way to compare the performance of cars is to have independent sources purchase the cars off the lot and test them under the same conditions. If not this, then the next best sitiuation is to trust the results of independent testers, and if those testers are getting times similar to each other but very different from what the manufacturer claims, then we don't trust the manufacturer.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
I have a feeling that this thread is going to be closed soon

I still think both cars deserve big respect, and its good to have competition.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned
Quentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by USCCayman
If automobile manufacturers were held to the same standards that researchers in the field of academia are held to, Nissan's BS would have been exposed long ago. For example, Nissan claims that a stock GTR lapped the 'ring at 7:27. Scientists make a claim by submitting a research article to a peer reviewed scientific journal. Basically, the researchers say they did such and such and got these results in the article. In order for other scientists to believe the results, the folks submitting the article have to explain in detail what they did in the study so that other scientists, if they chose to do so, could replicate the study. If others replicate the study but can't get the same results, the claims made by the scientists submitting the research article are in great doubt. An example would be cold fusion. No one else could get the same results, not even the guys making the initial claim, so, it has been dismissed. In a sense, this has been done with Nissan's claim regarding the GTR's laptime at the 'ring. Others have attempted to replicate Suzuki's time and no one can do it. Even more interesting, those who have tried to replicate Nissan's claim get lap times similar to each other, but don't come close to Nissan's claim. So, Nissan fails. We don't believe you. Give us a car that we can go over with a fine tooth comb, one that dynos at 480 hp with our independent testing, that can lap the 'ring at 7:27, and we will believe you. Simple as that.

We believe the times submitted by Porsche or Chevrolet because independent testers have come close to or equalled the times submitted by those manufacturers. Really, the only way to compare the performance of cars is to have independent sources purchase the cars off the lot and test them under the same conditions. If not this, then the next best sitiuation is to trust the results of independent testers, and if those testers are getting times similar to each other but very different from what the manufacturer claims, then we don't trust the manufacturer.
Nice little thesis you've written there. Too bad it won't give you a doctorate or even a small corner in the Sunday mail newspaper. I did not read through your entire passage - the first sentence pretty much sums it up that your analogy is wrong and contradictory.
Using your comparison, if internet forum discussions and debates were held to the same standards as in a professional court of law - then I guess you're baseless accusations and arguments in regards to the published GTR ring time as lies from Nissan would be dismissed as nothing more than dribble. In other words, accusations without proof has no place in any debate let alone in a court. You would then be instantly banned from the forums (kicked out of a court) for your lack of professionalism.

Last edited by Quentin; 10-15-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 PM
diabloFRP is infamous around these parts
recycled discussions are awesome. Here is my recycled contribution: "It's just a Nissan".

Old 10-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Banned
Quentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Hey nub, in case you didn't notice, Porsche has performance tires too. Ones that are much faster than standard Bridgestone Potenzas. I'm sure you searched long and hard for that, but you fail once again.

I don't buy into the internet article hype, so we'll see what the car does in real life, however even a 7:39 on regular street tires compared to the hybrid tires that the ZR-1, GT3 and GT-R (faster than R888) run, still looking pretty promising.
Someone is getting a little sensitive here. I am just passing on information from a more legitimate source. The last thing we want is to make a song and dance about a 7:27 ring time and then get into a pissing contest with GTR fanbois, only to find out later that the 7:27 time was just a fabrication. That would be embarrassing would'nt it....nub?

Old 10-16-2009, 12:30 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Quentin
Someone is getting a little sensitive here. I am just passing on information from a more legitimate source. The last thing we want is to make a song and dance about a 7:27 ring time and then get into a pissing contest with GTR fanbois, only to find out later that the 7:27 time was just a fabrication. That would be embarrassing would'nt it....nub?

You talk about GT-R fanbois as if that group doesn't include you.

Comon, really?

Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You talk about GT-R fanbois as if that group doesn't include you.

Comon, really?
Nope, I'm a neutral person. I don't favour one brand over the other. If a company makes a car that suits my needs and purpose then I will buy that car. If the new turbo actually did 7:27, then I am ecstatic. I do hope that it can do a 7:27 though.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, right, you are nobody buy Z07 himself in disguise. You aren't fooling anyone. Your only posts are in GT-R content topics and you drivel about the weight/power motto the fanbois use all the time.

Haven't you learned by now that you can't fool me.

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-16-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
If Porsche says the updated Turbo is 10 seconds faster than the original 997TT, and they claimed a 7:38 last year on MPSC's, then 7:27 sounds about right for the updated Turbo on MPSC's.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:55 AM
freeman is infamous around these parts
10 seconds faster sounds pretty reasonable to me.
The PDK alone can make a big difference.Try one,and you will believe it.

I still prefer a standard 6-speed though.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 AM
+1 all of the new stuff isn't making me want one. However for a street car/ few times a year track car it would be a great compliment to a track prepped manual.

Also probably great for mountain drives. Who wants to bet the manual will still be worth more in a few years.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:12 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Recent tests are GTRs in the double clutch vs 997TT in the Manual cars... now Nissans double clutch vs the PDK turbo... i think the next few months, the GTR fannys are in for a real ego take down!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Laps Nurburgring 10 Seconds Faster than Predecessor