997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Autoweek review of PDK/turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 AM
rubber_ducky is infamous around these parts
Autoweek review of PDK/turbo

CLICK HERE

Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
Thats a hot blue!!!The GT style rear spoiler is an option??

Old 10-15-2009, 08:47 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Interesting... the added power came from DFI, larger block and higher compression ratio. The turbos are now maxed out at 11.6psi vs. 14.5psi on the current 997TT.1.

Do I smell a "turbo S" in the works?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think this is the Turbo S, I doubt Porsche would waste the time to develop anything more for the Turbo so close to the end of the life cycle.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
For the new 911 Turbo, however, there are changes to the nominal torque split to provide what Achleitner describes as a "more tail-happy character." Porsche has changed the software to allow the multiplate clutch to send a greater percentage of drive to the rear under a wider range of conditions.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091013/CARREVIEWS/910139990#ixzz0U1AqtjPK
Now that sounds very very interesting!!! Does anybody know if we can update the software to the current 997tt to do this???

Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned
Quentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the roughQuentin is a jewel in the rough
How good is the handling? According to Achleitner, the new 911 Turbo will lap the Nürburgring in 7 minutes, 39 seconds on standard Bridgestone Potenza tires--some 10 seconds less than the time quoted for its predecessor.

Hang on a minute, didn't Porsche quote the previous turbo lap time as 7:38, done by an engineer?
If this new turbo is 10sec faster than the previous turbo, then it should be 7:28.
Something is fishy...

Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 AM
nash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lintc0532
Thats a hot blue!!!The GT style rear spoiler is an option??
Looks like the factory aero kit to me...

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Imagine yourself behind the new three-spoke steering wheel of the new 911 Turbo at the end of a long and flat straight. You call up the Sport setting to active the dual-clutch gearbox's launch control. With 5,000 rpm wound on the engine, you sidestep the brake and are launched with incredible intensity--the sort that sends your head careening back into the headrest and your stomach wishing it was somewhere else.

hahahahaha, I find this to be true every time I hit the gas and I don't need PDK.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
9.8:1 compression ratio is very high for a turbocharged engine.... That value may reduce the amount of boost that can ultimately be safely used in this new generation block.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Direct Injection allows higher compression ratios to be used.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE
Direct Injection allows higher compression ratios to be used.
Interesting... When I built my 550HP 944 Turbo, we had to reduce the compression ratio by using a thicker head gasket to bring it down to 8.8:1 that was the only way of running more boost, otherwise we ran into detonation issues even with 104 octane race gas.

It's going to be interesting seeing you aftermarket guys working on this new engine... It looks like it will be more complex than any previous generation.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Interesting... When I built my 550HP 944 Turbo, we had to reduce the compression ratio by using a thicker head gasket to bring it down to 8.8:1 that was the only way of running more boost, otherwise we ran into detonation issues even with 104 octane race gas.

It's going to be interesting seeing you aftermarket guys working on this new engine... It looks like it will be more complex than any previous generation.
Modern fuel injection control is amazing these days. Add the extra fuel delivery stability from DI, and the chance of damaging detonation goes down dramatically.

Lowering your compression ratio was needed to deal with less efficient spark control and fuel atomization, which could result in localized hot spots in the chamber from uncontrolled combustion, which in turn could burn a headgasket, valve, or piston, or rock a piston so hard it could break rods or cylinder walls.

Getting control over the combustion process means the compression ratios can be raised.

DFI is already here on the NA 997, and we've been adapting to it with the VW and Audi vehicles since 2006. It is immensely complex, with mechanical operating tolerances never before seen in passenger cars, but we have a boatload of experience with it already.

What concerns us more is that the new turbo is supposed to have the GT2 style "expansion" intake manifold, which uses increased boost from the turbos to create a cooling effect with a expansion chamber right before the intake valves. That higher boost reduces the headroom we have to work with in increasing performance, and is why we don't currently offer a 700+hp kit for the GT2 without retrofitting 997TT parts. At best, we can retrofit 997.1 TT intake parts to the 997.2 TT, which still requires and engine drop. At worst, we need to design our own replacement parts.

Either way, our turbo was ordered in September and we should have one of the first ones to hit the US...

Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Modern fuel injection control is amazing these days. Add the extra fuel delivery stability from DI, and the chance of damaging detonation goes down dramatically.

Lowering your compression ratio was needed to deal with less efficient spark control and fuel atomization, which could result in localized hot spots in the chamber from uncontrolled combustion, which in turn could burn a headgasket, valve, or piston, or rock a piston so hard it could break rods or cylinder walls.

Getting control over the combustion process means the compression ratios can be raised.

DFI is already here on the NA 997, and we've been adapting to it with the VW and Audi vehicles since 2006. It is immensely complex, with mechanical operating tolerances never before seen in passenger cars, but we have a boatload of experience with it already.

What concerns us more is that the new turbo is supposed to have the GT2 style "expansion" intake manifold, which uses increased boost from the turbos to create a cooling effect with a expansion chamber right before the intake valves. That higher boost reduces the headroom we have to work with in increasing performance, and is why we don't currently offer a 700+hp kit for the GT2 without retrofitting 997TT parts. At best, we can retrofit 997.1 TT intake parts to the 997.2 TT, which still requires and engine drop. At worst, we need to design our own replacement parts.

Either way, our turbo was ordered in September and we should have one of the first ones to hit the US...
You guys have a great Job.. If I didn't do what I do, I think I'd get involved in your industry..

Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 80shilling
You guys have a great Job.. If I didn't do what I do, I think I'd get involved in your industry..
What do you do? Maybe we can change places.

On the surface, this industry looks like a ton of fun.

What goes on in the background, from unconventional industry standards, to massive investment with little payoff, would probably change your mind.

This is an industry driven by egocentric emotional demand for the most part, but subject to the same rational economic laws as any other industry.

In a lot of respects, it like the Wild West.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:32 PM
What do you do? Maybe we can change places.

On the surface, this industry looks like a ton of fun.

What goes on in the background, from unconventional industry standards, to massive investment with little payoff, would probably change your mind.

This is an industry driven by egocentric emotional demand for the most part, but subject to the same rational economic laws as any other industry.

In a lot of respects, it like the Wild West.
I have been a Business, Cost restructuring and IT Consultant for the last 17 years.. I look through Corporate books and tell them where they are wasting money.. I restructure contracts, renegotiate building leases, design IT infrastructures and look at their overall Corporate spending through a microscope looking for ways to save money, come up with 5 year plans for IT spending etc, then I get 10 - 15% of what I save them. You'd be amazed at how few Companies actually know what they are spending their money on and how few of their accounting departments actually try to reduce those costs.. With the way the economy is just now, I'm busier than I have ever been..

One of my friends is a guy named David Raines.. he was the owner and founder of PowerHaus in AZ.. Trust me, I know what a bunch of whining, entitled, prima donnas us customers can be.. I don't know how you guys put up with us..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Autoweek review of PDK/turbo