997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997GT2 vs Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Way to find the lamest picture you can find. But in case you forgot, that interior was designed in the late 90's. Let's see the Vette interiors from back then, or even BMW for that matter, or Mercedes. You don't have to show me, because I've owned all of them, and the Porsche looks better than them all. And there is no lack of quality.

In fact lets look at an early Ferrari 360 interior with the green backlight on the radio.

You lose.
You cant excuse the Porsche interiors by slinging mud at Mercedes and BMW. Its well know that ALL expensive German cars had garbage interiors until recently. The point I'm making is that I see too much bashing of other cars amenities on here, as if it just wasn’t until 2004, that Porsche's had ugly interiors. And even that recent niceness had to be taken straight from AUDI cars.

Regardless of when the 996 were designed, the sickening part is that they still got way with charging you $100,000 for these interiors. You can say the Vette interiors is crap, ok fine, but the car doesn’t cost 100k. A lot cars have interiors which are bad, but when you factor in the price of the Porsche's, this easily makes its the most garbage them of all.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kp117
You cant excuse the Porsche interiors by slinging mud at Mercedes and BMW. Its well know that ALL expensive German cars had garbage interiors until recently. The point I'm making is that I see too much bashing of other cars amenities on here, as if it just wasn’t until 2004, that Porsche's had ugly interiors. And even that recent niceness had to be taken straight from AUDI cars.

Regardless of when the 996 were designed, the sickening part is that they still got way with charging you $100,000 for these interiors. You can say the Vette interiors is crap, ok fine, but the car doesn’t cost 100k. A lot cars have interiors which are bad, but when you factor in the price of the Porsche's, this easily makes its the most garbage them of all.

I'm not excusing it, there is nothing to excuse, the interior looks fine for it's day. And it's certainly worth WAY more and looks better than a C5 Corvette, and even still far better quality than a C6 corvette.

You fail by trying to use today's standards on a interior developed around 1996. Have you actually seen a 360 interior, the one with the dodge neon radio?

Porsche interior was simple, but you could tell it was very quality, wether or not it was advanced is not an issue because we all know that Porsche isn't about cutting edge appearances. It's a 911 dude, why would they put a space age looking interior in a retro styled car?

Compare the interior to the cars of it's time and you'll see that it looks just fine. And yes a Porsche guy can grill a vette guy for the interior, same for a BMW guy, Ferrari guy, Mercedes guy etc from the same era.

Where are the crap PARTS of the 996 interior, show me where there is shoddy workmanship, loose gaps, cheap leather/pleather etc.

In fact the 996 interior is still better QUALITY than much of what's being built TODAY from BMW and Mercedes, Nissan, Infinity, Cadillac and the list goes on. Porsche didn't put a lot of elegance in the interior, but should they in a 911 designed for enthusiasts?

You still don't get the point, you have nothing quantifiable, but are only using your aesthetic visual appeal as means for judgment. And sorry, but that doesn't classify the interior as crap.

FAIL!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
996 interrior was ****, 997 is awesome, and z06 interrior is ok...

Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
I'm not excusing it, there is nothing to excuse, the interior looks fine for it's day. And it's certainly worth WAY more and looks better than a C5 Corvette, and even still far better quality than a C6 corvette.

You fail by trying to use today's standards on a interior developed around 1996. Have you actually seen a 360 interior, the one with the dodge neon radio?

Porsche interior was simple, but you could tell it was very quality, wether or not it was advanced is not an issue because we all know that Porsche isn't about cutting edge appearances. It's a 911 dude, why would they put a space age looking interior in a retro styled car?

Compare the interior to the cars of it's time and you'll see that it looks just fine. And yes a Porsche guy can grill a vette guy for the interior, same for a BMW guy, Ferrari guy, Mercedes guy etc from the same era.

Where are the crap PARTS of the 996 interior, show me where there is shoddy workmanship, loose gaps, cheap leather/pleather etc.

In fact the 996 interior is still better QUALITY than much of what's being built TODAY from BMW and Mercedes, Nissan, Infinity, Cadillac and the list goes on. Porsche didn't put a lot of elegance in the interior, but should they in a 911 designed for enthusiasts?

You still don't get the point, you have nothing quantifiable, but are only using your aesthetic visual appeal as means for judgment. And sorry, but that doesn't classify the interior as crap.

FAIL!
Its not better quality just because you say it is. This goes hand in hand with your general assumption that Porsche is quality because its expensive.

Listen to your post, first you try to excuse the ugly interior by saying it was designed in 1996, then in the next sentence go on to say that its purposefully ugly because the car is 'built for enthusiast'. Well if that were the case, then the 911 interiors would STILL be ugly. But they aren’t, so that whole argument of yours falls flat on its face.

The plastic around that cheap simplistic radio is as hard and hollow as anything I've ever seen in ANY car from any year. Your whole post is riddled with excuses of why the interior sucks, you're acting like 100k is not that much money. How many things in life will actually cost you 100k besides houses, expensive cars, and limited production equipment? You need to get this through your head Chevy. For ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, that interior is some hot trash.

There’s really no way around it

Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
The GT2 getting spanked by it's ACTUAL competitor in the Vette lineup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlGMX8G3B4

END thread now.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kp117
Its not better quality just because you say it is. This goes hand in hand with your general assumption that Porsche is quality because its expensive.

Listen to your post, first you try to excuse the ugly interior by saying it was designed in 1996, then in the next sentence go on to say that its purposefully ugly because the car is 'built for enthusiast'. Well if that were the case, then the 911 interiors would STILL be ugly. But they aren’t, so that whole argument of yours falls flat on its face.

The plastic around that cheap simplistic radio is as hard and hollow as anything I've ever seen in ANY car from any year. Your whole post is riddled with excuses of why the interior sucks, you're acting like 100k is not that much money. How many things in life will actually cost you 100k besides houses, expensive cars, and limited production equipment? You need to get this through your head Chevy. For ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, that interior is some hot trash.

There’s really no way around it

The point genius is that you didn't hear a lot of people calling the interior ugly until new updated interiors were out. So maybe it's outdated compared to the 997's but what about in 2000 when the 996 Turbo was coming out?

Is that so hard for you to comprehend?

It's not better quality because I say so, it's better quality because I OWN/OWNED them AND SAY SO! What have you owned again?

The interior is boring, but you are over exaggerating like a ten year old. The only crap thing is the lack of design, but I'll bet in 15 more years you'll be calling the 997 interior crap and saying the 991 or whatever has a nice interior.

Common sense FTL.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
I just sold my Z06 and bought a 2003 GT2... So.. having owned both, I can tell you that the Corvette interior isn't even CLOSE to my 996 GT2 interior.. The switchgear is better, the controls are better, the GT2 has far less body/chassis flex, the suspension is better, the gearbox is better, the seats are better etc, etc.. I have no Axe to grind on behalf of either car, I'm just stating the facts as I see them.. See pictures of my interior below.. (I'm using the pics the dealer took of my GT2 and a couple a friend took).

Full leather, Alcantara headliner, aluminum trim, painted seatbacks and tunnel... Nothing even slightly crap about the interior, it's gorgeous, great quality, impeccable fit and finish...

Last edited by 80shilling; 10-19-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I've had a C6 Z06 and a 996TT (standard full leather). The Porsche's interior is not super fancy, but the quality is there. It's not 997 quality, but still very good. I don't see how someone could say it's no better than a Corvette's. All the materials are better quality and the fit is better, too. The doors also close more solidly. IMO, the Porsche's interior is at least two steps above the Corvette's (even with the vette's optional leather dash/door trim).

The Corvette interior is ok, but it's not what I'd call high quality. The seats need the most work; they feel flimsy and look cheap. In general, the interior's materials are not that much different than those in a late model pony car which costs half the money (truth is, I think the 2010 Mustang's interior is actually better). The design is not bad, though. If they just upped the quality a bit, it would be a lot better.

Last edited by Rob; 10-19-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:58 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Peace my friends

Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM
The interior is boring, The only crap thing is the lack of design

Originally Posted by Rob
The Porsche's interior is not super fancy

Eupenism </I>
–noun
The substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be blunt, harsh or offensive

Chill Heavy, you can only sugarcoat the truth but so much when pictures have been posted for all to see. The day I sat in my neighbor's BRAND NEW 03' 996TT, I knew the interior was ugly. The 02' Acura TL Type-S I had at the time, was better looking on the inside.

A 2001 Lexus

Stop making it seem like the 996 pre-dates Jesus Christ and came out eons ago, it was an ugly interior then also. You guys have given the German's a pass for the LONGEST time for austere, plain Jane interiors fitted to $100,000 cars. Now that the Germans have FINALLY caught up, you want catch amnesia and act like it never happened.

For ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS it was laughable.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 PM
No one is sugarcoating anything boy. I see pictures of a 996 GT2 which isn't any different from a 996 Turbo that look like a high quality interior befitting of a 100k car, actually 200k in the case of the GT2. The style fits the marquee, quality, classic and understated.

You can keep your juvenile opinion to yourself but I don't see people running around or complaining to Porsche that the interior sucks and isn't fit for the car. You are entitled to your opinion, but it isn't shared by many.

And when your toyota (Sorry I meant lexus) plastic dash starts to fade while my leather one still looks fresh then you can call my interior crap. The fact that you even compared a Lexus to a Porsche is laughable, that is high quality cheapness at it's best. Cadillac has nice LOOKING interiors too, is that better than Porsche. Check back on one in about 4 years and see what's still hanging together in the car.

You really are clueless on the subject.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Please tell us what's so crappy about this and unbefitting of a 100k car.

We'll wait.........................

Originally Posted by 80shilling

Full leather, Alcantara headliner, aluminum trim, painted seatbacks and tunnel... Nothing even slightly crap about the interior, it's gorgeous, great quality, impeccable fit and finish...

Old 10-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Compared to a 2001 lexus ls as good as it gets.

, are you kidding me????????

Can you say camry!!!???? Faux plastic wood, cheap/wrinkly leather, nice green digital econo clock.

You are delirious. The longer this thread goes on the worse you are going to look, give up now.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Having owned both a C6Z06 and a 996tt I will tell you that the 996tt's interior is marginally better. There is a ton of hard plastic in both. The big difference is the Z06 didn't cost $125K brand new. I paid $70K for my brand new loaded '07 C6Z06.

The BMW M5 I had blew both cars away in terms of interior quality. Oddly enough, the Idrive, etc was too damn complicated for me. Simpler is better.

My 997S now with full leather is actually very nice and simple....it should be for what it cost brand new.

Having said that, my 997S has more sqweeks and rattles than either of my former Vettes ('05 C6Z51 and '07 C6Z06).

Neither Porsche nor the C6 Vettes were built for luxury interiors. Both have come a long way from their prior models (996s and C5s) with the Porsche still being better. Yes better, but not that much $$$$$ better IMO.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
2SCOOPS is infamous around these parts
Amerlemans, you are comparing a current gen interior to a previous gen interior. Not the same thing. I had an 08 Z06 and couldn't wait to get it out of my garage. The seats wiggled from day one. Took it into the dealer and they told me it was normal movement in the seat. Looked at the new ones, my buddies 07 Z and they all had the same issues. I want even mention all the plastic in that thing but GOD, did you see all the plastic? Say what you want about the money but, they use the EXACT same interior in their 100+K ZR1. They don't have a lot of changes between the models.

Don't get me wrong, i loved driving the Z at times but it did feel cheap and I'm not talking just the interior. The car seemed to be over powered for the chassis. You just didn't have a solid feel for the car. It was too much of a disconnect and you never new when it was going to let loose. All in all, it was a beast of a car for the money and I treat it as such. You can't beat it for the money as long as you can deal with where Chevy cut their cost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT2 vs Z06