997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997GT2 vs Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 PM
SG333 is infamous around these parts
OP just posted a race between two cars. Of course there has to be a winner and a loser. Now all the drama about price points, stigmas, heritage, quality, interior and what-if mods. Sounds like a "my dad can beat up your dad" debate. Both cool cars. I'm pretty sure the stock GT2 is faster than stock Z any day.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
The Z06 is not a competitor to the GT2 anyway. The Z06 is more in line with the 997tt.

The ZR1 blows the hood off the GT2, which IS a direct competitor.

Vette > Fanboys

Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
An interior costs 125k? So how much is allocated for the rest of the car?

I haven't seen where you answered the part where a 911 should have an advanced interior? Quality YES, advanced? . They made it plain on purpose so people would go and spend another 15k on custom interiors, WHICH THEY DID.

I've said more times than anyone here that the TT's aren't worth (to me) 125-130k. But 100k, easily, and the interior is not what makes the car worth 100k. How about a race proven bullet proof engine? In fact the same block that races and wins on the weekends professionally. How many other cars you know have the same thing?

Both you and Amerlemans can argue all day till you're blue in the face, but the fact remains that a car is worth whatever people will pay for it, and judging by the MSRP of the new Turbo at 130k you guys are arguing with yourselves because Porsche will continue to sell cars.

And you say THIS looks better. THE LEATHER IS HUNG LIKE CURTAINS FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!! Same clock straight out of a Camry. You really have lost it.

Originally Posted by kp117
I’m sorry heavy, but you're beginning to act like a fan boy to the 100th degree. The man just came in here and told you about how he AND his wife thought the 996 interior was some trash for $125,000, and here you are trying to belittle him with your typical forum double speak.

There have been more than enough people here that have come clean about the 996 interior. WE HAVE EYES and have certain expectations for ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. When you sit in a 996TT absolutely nothing about it blows you away, much less says that your sitting in 125k worth of opulent advanced design. The guy said there was way too much plastic abound in his 996, and you just want to gloss over what he mentioned?

Heavy, is THIS is what you are defending???? Are you THAT much of a fanboy???

WE HAVE EYES HEAVY! YOU CANT DEBATE US IN CIRCLES WITH WITTY COMMENTS AND EXPECT US TO DENY WHAT OUR OWN VISION TELLS US.

Yeah, because the 100k the 996 cost made it impervious to the effects of time.

Heavy, you would argue almost anything in favor of Porsche. You've become a fan boy...HARDCORE

No amount of emoticons and forum hyperbole you peddle can rationalize these interiors costing 125k. My god just look at them. Who are you trying to fool? A blind man?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
And you say THIS looks better. THE LEATHER IS HUNG LIKE CURTAINS FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!
That could be an intentional design element. See '90s MB S-class for reference.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 PM
beantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the rough
This could be argued all day and i'm not defending chevy, but they are opinions so you should just agree to disagree.

If we are going to associate the interior of the car with the dollar cost of MSRP, then I have to say none of the supercars meet my expectations....and I've ridden in ferrari enzos (600k new and 1.4m now), carrera GTs and plenty of others. I have been in quite a few ferraris (my BIL), and none of the interiors are impressive relative to what the cars sold for.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Guibo
That could be an intentional design element. See '90s MB S-class for reference.

It's still hideous unless you were born in the 80's. I'll take blunt quality over cheap elegance anytime. Curtain leather with a huge plastic console right in the middle isn't exactly modern, even for the 90's. I don't intend for this to be some sort of bash fest on whatever cars we can think of, but there is no mistaking that the quality of a Porsche interior is among the best even the 996. The lacking part is elegance and lots of design.

However I'm too busy driving and looking ahead to the next apex to pay much attention to the interior and I'd rather be impressed by the way the car drives than all the luxuries. Porsche's were never built to be plush and notice how the 997's all got bigger and blingier and further away from what Porsche started with.

I even get peeved with whiners who buy Corvette's and whine about the interior while their driving all slow blocking traffic on the highway, IT'S A SPORTS CAR.........DRIVE IT!!! If you want to buy an interior to look at go buy a Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar etc.

But still Corvette interior comparable to 996 TT interior. AHAHAHAAHAHAH That still cracks me up. These guys are really funny.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 PM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
Wink

Originally Posted by Dick Fidd
20K gets you a full Caravaggio interior - leather everywhere, with quilted leather on the door panels and center console, thicker leather steering wheel, and either full CF/leather race seats or multifunction sport seats. They even color-match the gauges - it completely transforms the car. Something to consider if you like the Z but can't deal with the interior.
caravaggio has some nice work....

Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 PM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by KA 997TT
Ok,
Can you at least give me some credit? the C6 I currently own (08) is my 8th vette... Including this one, all of them sucked. Can the 911 interior get better? Hell yes it can, you have to order it whereas with the Vette, it was never an option and even the current upgrade, it still looks like crap. I know DS vettes has some very nice stuff for them; but please, this is not a subject you want to get into bud.
dsvettes has some very nice work also and nice alcantara use........but u are right both cars have thier if's and but's...but when it comes down to it u can go as custom as you want to whatever taste u have...we should never h8 on these cars for they are both beautiful machines just my 2 cents...

Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
I'll take blunt quality over cheap elegance anytime. but there is no mistaking that the quality of a Porsche interior is among the best even the 996.
The point is that in 2003, Porsche stood in front of you with a straight face and demanded that you cough up 125k for this...

And now, a mere 6 years latter you've put on your tin foil fanboy cap and tried to trick us into thinking it was well worth it back then. GMAFB

You keep posting pictures of 2001 lexus intreriors...

The 2001 Lexus SC430 was about 60k back then. The 996 interior looks like a 20K one in comparison.

We have eyes. You cant fool anyone here HeavyFanboy.

Last edited by kp117; 10-20-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 PM
you do have a argument there but may i point out that people would buy porsches for their performance and heritage rather than thier looks and interior design... atleast the door panels are not falling off and the a/c and components work...

Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
It's still hideous unless you were born in the 80's. I'll take blunt quality over cheap elegance anytime. Curtain leather with a huge plastic console right in the middle isn't exactly modern, even for the 90's.
"Hideous" implies aesthetic appeal when before you semed to imply that curtain leather was a quality issue.
The curtain leather is not a quality issue; it was contemporary for other cars of its time.
By your admission that the 996 interior is blunt and plain, there's not much to recommend in terms of style.
Most 996's have a huge plastic console right in the middle too.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
My interior is quite a bit nicer than my friend's new Audi R8 interior, even he agrees on that point.
Is your friend's R8 interior, by chance, a victim of an arson fire?
Or perhaps he was drunk when he told you this?
Because from what I'm seeing, your interior has nothing on an R8.

Yours

vs

Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 AM
So what you're saying is that based on those pictures, a SC430 should be worth more than a 996 Turbo brand new?

And you pick the dustiest dirty picture of an interior vs marketing shots? How desperate are you?

You still completely ignore the rest of the car which you've done from the start. Let's see how many cars were faster than a 996 TT in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and cost less. Or have you forgotten that performance has something to do with the price?

If you are so stuck on interiors you go ahead, and see how that lexus gets you around the track compared to the 996 TT. And then ask yourself how much it's worth. Try building the motor to 700 hp on stock internals. Try taking it apart and seeing the detail in which the car was built.

You've found a way to reduce auto enthusiasm to an interior. Pretty laughable if you ask me. Frankly I'm not really concerned about your opinion so I'm not going to bother with your desperate attempts to prove a point given the fact that Turbos have and will be sold for MSRP regardless of what you think about them.

I'll let you continue with your nonsense mr interior man. Please send a memo to Porsche and tell them their Porsche Turbos are only worth 85k and if it works we will all thank you.

But I won't hold my breath.

Originally Posted by kp117
The point is that in 2003, Porsche stood in front of you with a straight face and demanded that you cough up 125k for this...

And now, a mere 6 years latter you've put on your tin foil fanboy cap and tried to trick us into thinking it was well worth it back then. GMAFB

You keep posting pictures of 2001 lexus intreriors...

The 2001 Lexus SC430 was about 60k back then. The 996 interior looks like a 20K one in comparison.

We have eyes. You cant fool anyone here HeavyFanboy.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 AM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
So what you're saying is that based on those pictures, a SC430 should be worth more than a 996 Turbo brand new?
Who ever said that? HeavyFanboy, you need to quit jumping in the middle of threads to blindly defend Porsche if you haven’t been following the narrative.

This all started with me calling someone out for ragging on other cars with crap interiors compared to the 'Refinement of a Porsche" I kindly reminded them that they should keep their mouth shut (about interiors) because EVERYTHING before the 997 had a garbage interior, lets not even mention the first Boxters.

And you pick the dustiest dirty picture of an interior vs marketing shots? How desperate are you?

Here's a actual photo of a $60k 2002 Lexus. Like it really even mattered. You can tell the interior of a $125k 996 an abominable comparison, no matter which photos you put up.

You still completely ignore the rest of the car which you've done from the start.
Like I said HeavyFanboy, go back to page 4 and see where this all started. A couple members were pissing on the Corvette interior (rightfully so), but were in doing it in a smug fashion, as if to say Porsches have always had nice interiors, which just until as recent as 2005 couldn’t be further from the truth.

Your whole argument of performance taking precedence over everything else is complete hogwash. If that were the case the 997 would STILL have the loathsome interior the 996 had. Do you think Porsche put a nice interior in the 997 by mistake? They were obviously aware of the hypocrisy of charging 100k for a car and fitting it with a 30k interior.

You can never excuse the heinous interior of the 996 by citing its performance, because the car still cost 100k. For that amount of money EVERYTHING about the car should be befitting of its price tag.

Last edited by kp117; 10-21-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 AM
YZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the rough
Gt2

Gt2 all the way

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT2 vs Z06