997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Back Seat Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
SunDevilFan is infamous around these parts
Back Seat Question

Hey all,

Well, I've posted a couple times in the 993 and 997 turbo forums trying to decide what will be the next ride. I had it narrowed down to a 993/997 turbo or a MB CLK63 Black Series. After giving it a ton of thought (and having some discussion with the wife), I've decided that we should try and come up with a performance car that will accomodate a young child in the back seat (since my other sports car is a 2 seater). So, here is my question....

My wife and I are both vertically challenged, which leaves extra room behind the seats, and I'm wondering if anyone uses their 993/997 with a young child in the back seat? When we test drove the 997tt, we didn't have our child with us but it appeared there would be enough room for short to mid-length drives. I obviously could go back to the dealer and do a "test fit", but thought I'd get some feedback here first. I know this is NOT the ideal car for back seat passengers, but is it really that bad? I was set on going after a 993 turbo, but that back seat seems way smaller than the 997 (which makes sense since the 997 is much larger in general). I don't want to go with a 4 door car since nothing out there grabs my attention. The only other option I have is to wait on getting a 993 in a few years and go with a GT-R now (even thou I'm not convinced that back seat is any bigger than the 997's).

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Guess it really depends on how big your child is?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Average youth still in a car seat/booster. I'm pretty sure a teenager or even pre-teen would be out of the question, but a youth seems to be possible. Agree?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
I can say unequivocally....maybe Nothing beats actually trying it out in person. Where are you buying the car from?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:15 AM
scont07tt is infamous around these parts
always pick up my three kids from school in my turbo no problems 10 year old 8 year old and a 6 year old thats the reason i didnt buy a gallarado

Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
the rear seats have a very concave seat cushion, which makes a lot of booster seats and car seats not fit well

you need to try it out on the car to see if it will work for you

Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM
MaxPorsche is infamous around these parts
Kids in 997TT on holidays & daily use

No problems with the kids now 5 and 7 years old, both for daily use and holiday trips (it's a two days ride from here in Qatar through Saudi and the Emirates to Oman). The kids are comfortable with the front seats moved forward an inch. We'll be fine for a couple of years...

Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Thank you all for your comments! MaxPorsche, did you have to purchase a certain seat/booster to fit the seat? As handdoc stated, I've also heard that it takes a "special" seat to work in the back of a 911.

Bonehead, the car I was looking at was in N. Scottsdale at a dealer. My only compaint with the 997tt cars is the steering (way too light for my taste). Other than that, the car was really, really nice. Last night, I had a long conversation with a good friend regarding the GT3 and upcoming GT3 RS. I'm starting to think either of those would be my first overall choice, but again no back seat (RS=No, but GT3=?) and probably wouldn't have a chance in _____ to obtain one since I'm a first time prospective owner with no purchasing leverage at the dealer.

Whatever we decide to purchase is completely dependent on a deal I've got coming up in three weeks. If it goes forward, I'll move forward. If not, well, I'm still be a fortunate man but will have to put a p-car on hold for a little while.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
2SCOOPS is infamous around these parts
I have 3 kids and all of them fit in the back seats kinda. I have two boys that are 13 and 15 and both have been back there. My 13 year old is about 5ft and he fits back there fine. My 15 year old is about 5ft 7 and it is snug and uncomfortable for him. Although, he will ask me to take him in the Turbo even if he knows he has to sit in the back seat. Doesn't really matter as long as they can sit back there without breaking their necks and be somewhat comfortable.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
If the child is in a booster seat, you can gain a little room by taking out the cusions. I took mine out to save weight, but left the belts in.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 AM
TD997TT is infamous around these parts
997 turbo definitely accomodates small children. You need the Porsche seat to make it work though. I would have gone with a GT3 vs. turbo 2 years ago, but no back seats in the GT3

Old 10-31-2009, 07:17 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
there is a Porsche specific car booster that is by Porsche

in fact there is a used one in the classifides

Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Nice pics. I'm looking forward to getting a 997tt and taking my girls for a spin. They're a bit younger than yours but have many dolls too. It's nice to see that 2 kids and their toys can fit in a supercar with no problem!

Originally Posted by MaxPorsche
No problems with the kids now 5 and 7 years old, both for daily use and holiday trips (it's a two days ride from here in Qatar through Saudi and the Emirates to Oman). The kids are comfortable with the front seats moved forward an inch. We'll be fine for a couple of years...